News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Banner Nr. 105.120

Gentlemen,

i am proud to share with you my latest addition to my collection, a fantastic combatworn Order of the Red Banner to a Kuban Cossack with some interesting anomalies. This order comes with research and this is, what i could read so far:

Name: IVAN TROFIMOVICH KARELIN (Please, god, let it be close at least )

born 1908, in the Red Army from December 1930 - Juli 1937 and June 1941 - June 1946

Awards received:

Order of Alexander Nevsky Nr. 21.602 14.08.44

Order of the Red Banner Nr. 105.120 19.04.44

Order of the GPW 2nd class Nr. 261.352 25.12.44

Order of the Red Star Nr. 322.691 15.09.43

Order of the Red Star Nr. 2.751.610 25.09.43

Military Merit Medal 03.11.44

Medal for the Defense of Caucasus

Medal for Victory over Germany

I hope, Rick can fill the gaps.

Here is the order:

Edited by Gerd Becker

Guest Rick Research

His last name was Karelin. The funny endings in various text are from Russian grammar.

At time of his award, Guards Captain and squadron (company) commander in 30th Guards Cossack Cavalry Regiment of 9th Gds Coss Cav Div of 4th Gds Coss Cav Corps.

When the ARC was filled out on 18 July 1947 he was Cossack Village Soviet President of the village of Staraya Urukhskaya in Georgievsky Raion of Stavroopolsky Krai.

The second award page shows a long service MMM but neglected to put the serial number in-- and that appears to be the ONLY Military Merit Medal he had. Oddly enough, whenever that was dated, he was not then a Party Member-- but then, it had said on his ARC that he was a Russian, not a Cossack, so maybe that mattered more than a low membership number to be the local "Cossack" boss!

It does indeed then say he died 16 May 1956, leaving wife Anna Vladimirovna Karelina (her feminine ending on married name), born 1911, and son Vladimir born 1937 in Staraya Urukhskaya.

• 1 month later...

Today arrived the citation to this order to Comrade Karelin, i found it most interesting:

1. Last Name, Name, and Patrionymic: Karelin, Ivan Trofimovich

2. Rank: Guards Senior Lieutenant

3. Duty Position: Commander, 3rd Squadron, 34th Guards Cossack Kuban Cavalry Regiment

4. Birthdate: 1908

5. Nationality: Russian

6. Party Membership: candidate member since 1943

7. In the Red Army: 1930-1940 and since 1941

8. Participation in combat: Bashtanka on 10.3.44 and Novo Petrovka on 13.3.44

9. Wounds or Contusions: wounded three times

10. Inducted by: Georgievsky Regional Military Commissariat

11. Awards: Red Star for combat at Perekop

12. Home of Record: Stavropol krai, Gershevsky region, Stanitsa Lysogorekaya

Short description of Combat Feat or Accomplishments:

"On (missing) 1944, in combat for the regional center of the Nikolaev oblast-Bashtanka, where the regiment in conjunction with other units (missing), comrade Karelin?s squadron was sent to the outskirts of the village where they occupied a defensive position. After a certain time the enemy went on the attack. Despite superior enemy forces, all their attempts to penetrate into the village where repelled by the squadron. The enemy lost 120 dead sodiers and officers, (missing) machineguns and three vehicles, thus retreated.

On 13.3.44 in the vilage of Novo Petrovka while repelling an enemy counterattack, Comrade Karelin?s squadron employed a captured artillery piece, killing as many as 50 Hitlerites.

On 16.3.44, Comrade Karelin?s squadron arrived at a crossing site on the Ingul River and in the course of a day repelled four enemy counterattacks, thus denying the enemy the opportunity to cross the river and killing as many as 40 Hitlerites in the process.

Signed Commander 34th Guards Cossack Kuban Cavalry Regiment, Guards Major Geras(?)

Endorsed Commander 9th Guards Cossack Kuban Red Banner Cavalry Division, Guards General Major Tutarinov on 23. March 1944

Endorsed Commander 4th Guards Cossack Cavalry Corps, Guards General Lieutnant Plieb on 25. March 1944

Awarded the Order of the Red Banner by order 025/N of the 3rd Ukrainian Front dated 9.4.44"

The final title of the 9th Guards Cavalry Division was "9th Guards Kuban Cossack Cavalry Slonim Luminets Baranovichi twice Order of the Red Banner, Orders of Suvorov, Kutuzov, Bogdan Khmelnitsky " Looks, like these guys have seen a lot of action.

Guest Rick Research

Did you get his personnel record?

I miss those horrible xeroxed Cyrillic scribblies that nobody but me can/will read.... :P:cheeky:

Hello Steen,

you are right, that was a typo in my translation. As the 4th Guards Cavalry Corps was part of the Cavalry-Mechanized Group Pliyev at this time, its definately Pliev. Is Pliev(instead of Pliyev) the more modern translation?

regards,

Gerd

Actually I'm not sure. I would think that ПЛИЕВ should be Pliev but perheps this is out of date???

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

Its spelled Pliyev in the rest of my research-translations and the wikipedia entry also used Pliyev:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issa_Pliyev

Further it is spelled this way in a copy of a Unit-History of the 4th Guards Cossack Cavalry Corps, i have.

Hope, this helps.

regards,

Gerd

• 3 weeks later...