News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Miss spelling on a sweetheart brooch

Hi I was at an antiques fair the other week and I came across this sweetheart brooch I believe to be WW1 of the royal tank regiment, I though tit was nice and being the end of the day didn't think to much of it until I got it home and found out the motto is spelt incorrectly it reads 'Fear Nought' when the motto as I understand it is 'Fear Naught'.  It looks original to me although someone as come along with some brass cleaner to clean it up but I'm thrown by the miss spelling.  would really welcome other peoples views on this.  Thanks :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_272a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_272b.jpg

That is strange, have never seen that Motto before and having had a quick web search can find nothing similar. The badge looks well made and if my eyes are correct is plain backed with no maker mark. As Chris says must be the badge makers interpretation of the spelling perhaps making the item from a written description as opposed to seeing the real item.

We need an ex tankie's opinion I think.

Simon

I know apart from the spelling everything else looks correct to me.  I've had loads of miss spelt silk postcards but not seen a miss spelt sweetheart brooch before.  Love the picture of the tattoo by the way, and it could be be the case of the maker not knowing how the motto was spelt. maybe it's so uber rare I will be able to retire on it... ;) 

Fingers crossed Simon, although the problem is i'm not very good at selling as I like to hang on to them particularly if I find them interesting, so this maybe another one for the keep pile :) 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jerry,

Yep I think the misspelling is rather cool, but I honestly doubt its worth too much more than I bought it for. Which is fine as not on my list to sell, well not just yet anyways. No I don't think it was once a cap badge although that would be pretty cool. :)