News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yes, there is. The Hamburg Hanseatic is on the wrong ribbon and from the looks of things, they buggered an original bar to make that monstrosity.

Dan Murphy

Given the other non-combatant awards, the last was probably orginally a War Honor Decoration (Kriegsehrenzeichen) from Hesse-Darmstadt (see below).

Precedence would still be screwy, but it would fit with a non-combatant Saxe-Meiningen and Prussian Red Cross. The Cross for Merit in War on the non-combatant ribbon is pretty rare, though (about 664 awards). I have no idea how these non-combatant awards could fit with a Bavarian LS.

IPB Image

This bar is completely "bull....." :violent: The Saxe-Meiningen is an officers award, then a bavarian long service.... , Hamburg on Hesse or halfmoon ribbon, Kyffh?user in front of Hamburg, completely strange mounting style.... for me nearly everything is wrong!!!

Don, yes, that is the correct "Combattant" ribbon.... I have never seen this "Non-Combattant" ribbon before. Anywhere. Not in the piles of "old stock" that have floated out over the years and not mounted anywhere.

I would concur that last place is probably a Hessian War Aid Medal.

I have great big bells ringing here....... and they are not the "I'm a fake" ones.

I'm sorry, I've been thinking about this one... Take the Hamburg Cross off and we have an entirely possible and actually logical combination with that NC Sax-Meiningen Ribbon...... with the Kyffhauser present we are talking the roaring twenties on this bar. I think you guys are over-thinking this one.......

Hi Heiko, yes I do think a Reserve Bavarian Officer can receive one S-M piece and nothing else from Bavaria... we see this many times. There's no shortage of Bavarians walking around with an EK2 and NOTHING from Bavaria!!

Here's the thing for me...... I defy you to find a faker who has that Non-Combattant ribbon in his stock..........

If it was on the regular combattant ribbon...... we'd be having a very different discussion. It took Dave Danner to point out that it was a NC ribbon.... that's how common it is. After realizing david was right, I went back through all my archive photos and discs as well as all my notes and I cannot find a single instance of that ribbon being available for the last 8 years....... The different folds don't bother me, I think we're talking about a "home-made", 1920's bar here......

Freitag, the chap from the Soltau area who always has the huge selection of modern ribbons at most militaria shows in Germany, also has quite an extensive stock of original ribbon, including the Sachsen-Meiningen non-com as shown above. He is the only source of that ribbon that I am aware of.

Interesting bar! If a faker had access to that extremely rare Sachsen-Meiningen ribbon, I would be tempted to think that he would do something a bit more creative to maximise his chances with it rather than produce one like this. But who knows what goes on inside a fakers head.

The combination is certainly unusual, but not entirely impossible, as Rick points out.