News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear all , I have a sad tale.

i recently aqquired a lovely late war M42 , slate grey aluminium oxide finish nice liner rivers and washers all good. No chin strap but hey ho.

one little niggle was one rivet was no t as tight as it could be.

” I can sort that “ I thought , one trip to the hardware shop and I had my G CLAMP !!! You must be starting to sweat now.

i carefully glued ply to both jaws , the piece that went over the exterior river head I counter sunk so as not to damage the dome.

clamp carefully positioned I started to tighten , slowly, slowly,,,

i then felt something very slightly give.

yep you’ve guessed it . A tiny crease had been created.

why am I telling you  this and laying myself wide open to doubtless abuse?

as a warning to anyone who thinks they can in some way enhance a piece, DONT DO IT!!!!

its still a lovely M42  but I’ve damaged it .

Gutted

ps I also have a lovely camo  single decal combat M35 , the only thing is it’s got a few drips of paint from being under a Work bench or similar ,, perhaps I can remove them ?,,,,,,,,,

WILL I HECK AS LIKE !!!!!!!!

lesson learnt

4 hours ago, Martin2 said:

why am I telling you  this and laying myself wide open to doubtless abuse?

as a warning to anyone who thinks they can in some way enhance a piece, DONT DO IT!!!!

Kudos to you, Martin, for fessing up and offering the unwary a salutary lesson! In fairness, it can't be said enough times.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I can live with the damage! 

Lesson learned....

I am a restorer by profession and hardly(in fact never) touch the militaria I collect.

But let me warn you about the polystyrene heads, like the one you are showing your helmet on. They decompose by time and can leave your  liner with serious damage. That doesn't happen over night, however. It takes time, but never the less better safe then sorry .

Edited by Stuka f