News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Feldmutze... at long last.....

I have been after one of these for ages and ages.... It came with some badly replaced cockades, so I replaced the replacements.... but I will replace the replacements of the replacements when i find the perfect replacements.... but for the time being I think these do the job quite well......a1.thumb.jpg.ca963a904cfbafddb741699e1379abca.jpga2.thumb.jpg.fb298909416ac0f7d43c22ef5a290974.jpga3.thumb.jpg.f967c7af8bdb5aecde0136a5063052fc.jpg

2 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

I have been after one of these for ages and ages.... It came with some badly replaced cockades, so I replaced the replacements.... but I will replace the replacements of the replacements when i find the perfect replacements.... but for the time being I think these do the job quite well......

Way too many Ersatz ...but a man has to ersatz what a man has to ersatz.

Hello!

To me it´s a prussian Jäger-Mütze with visor.

Kraus writes  (Die Deutsche Armee), page 305:

Introduced Einheitsfeldmütze from July 20, 1917, with grey-green cloth, Besatzstreifen and Piping with minor colour-differences.

Hi,

Technically yes, but the traces in the cloth fitted the Bavarian Officers cockades (and the horrible pieces that were on the cap were Bavarian, although not put on to fir the traces).

Krause also has a cap with the same piping set up with Bavarian, apparently the Fieldgrey band and piping was not very popular amongst the Bavarian officers and the "normal" color was often worn.

He has a nice example on page 131 in the color volume, as well as a pic of a reserve officer.

If course, in such cases we are on the same ground as a tunic with a MGSSA badge or Flamethrower skull... unless it is from the family you can never be 100% sure it "belongs"... but I think this one has a enough of a chance with the cockade traces to be bavarian.

6 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

To me it´s a prussian Jäger-Mütze with visor.

Kraus writes  (Die Deutsche Armee), page 305:

Introduced Einheitsfeldmütze from July 20, 1917, with grey-green cloth, Besatzstreifen and Piping with minor colour-differences.

Hi,

colorwise it is 100% the version on page 131, maybe my photo autocorrector gave it the jäger tinge

7 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hard to say... It could be grey or light grey-green...

I am 50. What do younger eyes see?:whistle:

I would have loved a Jäger connection, but I think it is a bog standard all branches Einheits Cap... Prussian according to regulations, anyones according to flavor of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

I think it is pretty well documented that the Felgraue band for Bavarians was to a large extent mainly a sentence on a piece of paper.... Tony on Kaisers bunker has a beautiful example of a Bavarian cap with Prussian colored band, and Kraus has an even better example in the Bavarian Army Museum... it says in Kraus that the Bavarian officers did not like the proposed Felgraue band and many ordered the caps with a Prussian colored band.