News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

gentleman

I don't collector medals but still take a look into this forum from time to time to learn a little bit. there is now a problem which brings me here with a question about the medal bar of an prussian soldier who served in the wars from 1864 to 1871.

only for my pleasure  and at my own expence I restore the bars of the local veterans still hanging in our church. most times easy: Königsgrätz cross, 70/71 medal and Centenar medal. bought the cheap ones on ebay for 10 euro a piece, soft solder an new hook and hang it back to the bar.

Unteroffizier Albert Schmeckebier from the Brandenburgische Pionierbattailion No. 3 is a little problem

36445600le.jpg

pic showing the bar in the first but wrong order as I know now

36445599mq.jpg

the ribbons hanging there for over 100 years and only a look behind show me what they realy are

he had 4 medals

1. unknown black-white-black-white-black, measure 30,9 mm

2. ribbon for the 1864 prussian-austrain medal

3. ribbon for the 1866 Königsgrätz cross

4. ribbon for the 1870/71 medal

what could be the first ribbon??? an iron cross 2 .class?

I remember there is a list available with all iron cross winners from 1870. if someone who had this list take a look if this name appear?

or could it be a Militär-Ehrenzeichen 2. class ?

thank you for your help

so you find his name in this list? thank you very much for your help

no, the ribbons are in the right order it only bleach out in a different way over the century because of daily sunlight. I have remove the bar from the plate and the second ribbon is black - yellow -black-white- black , sorry no pic was made. so number two is without question the ribbon for the prussian-austrian 1864 medal. before knowing this I was believing the first ribbon was for the 1864 medal but this will be changed.

I will look for one of the 1870 EK 2  copy's now around everywhere to make a "Spangenstück" because an original will be to expensive.

I would definitely go for  copy, even if the money would be no problem, cause this is not the right place to store such a rare  and delicate piece. The changing temperature and maybe humidity and sunlight would for sure have an impact  on it over the years.

19 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

I would definitely go for  copy, even if the money would be no problem, cause this is not the right place to store such a rare  and delicate piece. The changing temperature and maybe humidity and sunlight would for sure have an impact  on it over the years.

I agree about conditions.  But I'd be more concerned about the possibility of theft.  I hope these displays are kept in a very safe place.  Very nice work done by OP!