News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For Chris (and others with an interest in WWI German (state) mountain troops)

6 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello Gentlemen ,to me this tunic belonged to King Ludwig III ,he was a man of ample waist 

Hello Gentlemen, General maximilian von Prittwitz was a tall and thick man , the tunic doesnt fits with him 

You're right on the first tunic, not sure of your comment on the second though. The pic below does not seem to indicate that von Prittwitzwas fat, as you suggest (in fact, the cut of the tunic shown in it appears to be similar to the tunic on display in Ingolstadt). More generally I am not sure how you measure a tunic from a pic (other than in terms of relative dimensions). And thirdly why would the Bavarian army museum make an attribution they cannot sustain, especially of a piece that is barely central to their exhibition (Prittwitz hailed from Silesia)?

Maximilian_Wilhelm_Gustav_Moritz_von_Prittwitz_und_Gaffron_27.11.1848_-_29.3.1917.gif

Edited by GdC26

Incidentally, the second tunic shown, the one before the Prittwitz tunic, is attributed to Crown Prinz Rupprecht. Personally, I find the single Austrian style (horizontal) loop amidst the *vertical) German style loops intriguing.

Morning chaps,

well, I  am no tailor so cannot comment on the relative size of the tunic in question. What I can say is that Generaloberst von Prittwitz was the ONLY officer of that rank entitled to wear the uniform of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 6, being appointed à la suite to the regiment on 9 May 1911. Generaloberst since 6 June 1913.1307279895_PrittwitzGR6.thumb.jpg.99a2f774fed9d7a5005e1b4c0dc7949e.jpg

Regards

Glenn

Hello GdC 26, If Glen C says that GO von Prittwitz was the only officer of these rank a la suite of the 6th IR I have nothing more to say. Regarding the measurement on a pic .well ,you knows the button diameter so you can catch the aproximate size of the tunic from collar to waist, you knows the probable length and width of the Shoulder boards then you have the shoulder width, whit these measures you have the aproximate waist width , the collar patchs normally were about 7 x 4 cm ,you can calculate the collar height 

4 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello GdC 26, If Glen C says that GO von Prittwitz was the only officer of these rank a la suite of the 6th IR I have nothing more to say. Regarding the measurement on a pic .well ,you knows the button diameter so you can catch the aproximate size of the tunic from collar to waist, you knows the probable length and width of the Shoulder boards then you have the shoulder width, whit these measures you have the aproximate waist width , the collar patchs normally were about 7 x 4 cm ,you can calculate the collar height 

Hello Bayern (for lack of a real name to go by),

Sure.

Let’s for a moment assume that langer, reputable museums like the bayerische Armeemuseum (who’se collection is the basis of the Verlag Militaria field grey books) mostly know what they are doing, instead of casting unfounded doubt on their attribution. I had a similar experience recently on WAV. These fora are (or at least, should be) about facts, not opinions, so if we call out an attribution lets please do so on the basis of evidence, and share that evidence so it can be examined. 

Glenn’s evidence is at best circumstantial to the issue at hand, and does not preclude the possibility that the tunic is a fabrication. But one who asserts that should show pics or other evidence in support, so that that can be examined and discussed. From the few pics I’ve found, Prittwitz does not strike me as unusually tall or fat, but I stand to be corrected, so if you have other pics that show differently, let’s have them and debate them.

Everybody on this forum rightfully admires the late Rick Research, because he based his views in facts that he willingly disclosed, shared and debated.

Kind regards, 

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

Here’s another photo of von Prittwitz. Unfortunately, I can’t find any of him wearing field gray. 

question, was he awarded the Iron Cross 1st class 1914? I know he wasn’t active long at all during the war but assume he was awarded the EKI.

6DD90C8C-143E-4D4E-9E46-65D5594AFFCE.thumb.jpeg.0b5b5ad14ac072c5d718fdcd9b736039.jpeg

Hi Charles,

I actually think he did not receive the EK1. He is not listed in either the 1st or 2nd editions of "Die Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes" which were published in December 1914 and February 1915 respectively.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

2 hours ago, ccj said:

Here’s another photo of von Prittwitz. Unfortunately, I can’t find any of him wearing field gray. 

question, was he awarded the Iron Cross 1st class 1914? I know he wasn’t active long at all during the war but assume he was awarded the EKI.

6DD90C8C-143E-4D4E-9E46-65D5594AFFCE.thumb.jpeg.0b5b5ad14ac072c5d718fdcd9b736039.jpeg

Charles,

Is your question triggered by the two gaps (rather than loops) on the tunic?

Kind regards, 

Sandro

On 29/11/2019 at 09:09, GdC26 said:

DSC_3990.JPG

DSC_3997.JPG

Hi,

My question arrives from the photo of the tunics chest area for awards. I wonder... 

On 29/11/2019 at 09:09, GdC26 said:

4 hours ago, Bayern said:

I will find a pic of von Prittwitz in field grey , he received the EK second class during the Franco Prussian war . dont matter how important is a Museum ,mistakes occurs.

They do indeed, but if you believe they did you need to substantialistisch your assertion. So far, you have not. If the tunic is not what it is purported to be, let’s expose it, but let’s do so on the basis of facts, not conjecture.

9 hours ago, ccj said:

Hi,

My question arrives from the photo of the tunics chest area for awards. I wonder... 

I thought so. They look to be even-spaced, so could be for breast stars, arranged similarly to the pic you shared - but I agree that the style of the upper attachment (reinforced holes, rather than loops) is one normally associated with the weer of an EK I.

Edited by GdC26

It would be wonderful to find a photo of Prittwitz in the field gray uniform of Gren Regt 6. but there are few photos of Prittwitz as far as I know but many photos never make it to the interwebs....

This is an interesting discussion so far.