News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with translation please.

Hello Everyone,

I was fortunate to have acquired three Imperial German swords lately, one made for use by the Ottoman Empire. These I will post at a later date. I was hoping that the membership could help me with the translation on one of the sword blades. I can figure out the easy part which states it was to a member of the Artillery Regiment No.9 but the rest is a mystery to me.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Imperial German sword.JPG

Brian,

Andreas pretty much explains it. It refers to the Bespannungs-Abteilung or horse drawn detachment of the regiment. As originally formed, the foot artillery was specifically detailed for use in the manning of fortresses. However as doctrine changed in the late nineteenth century, elements of the foot artillery were to accompany the army in the field for such tasks as siege work and the like. To that end, an horse drawn component was established for foot artillery regiments, initially provided by the Train branch but from 1902 onwards as an integral part of the foot artillery.

Regards

Glenn

Many thanks Andreas and Glenn.

As soon as the holiday season is behind me (family Christmas on the 27th this year) I'll post the three new German additions to the sword collection. The one has a German made blade that was used on a Turkish sword that has their markings on the langet. 

Thank you once again.

Regards

Brian

Hello Marcon 1 : It says Fuss Art . Foot Art, Foot Artillery ,Regiment Number 9 . In Germany there were not Imperial and Royal associated. There were Royal Prussian Army, Royal Bavarian Army, Royal Saxon Army,and Royal Wurttembergian Army. apart the Armies of the Great Duchies : Hessen ,Baden , Mecklemburg Schwerin and Strelitz and so on. The Navy was Imperial , also the Marine Infantry and the Colonial Troops . William II was King of Prussia and German Emperor , the Imperial German Army of WW1 was the reunion under the Emperor s Command of all the Royal or Grand Ducal Armies referred

Merry Christmas to all the Gentlemen that are Believers !!

7 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Brian,

Andreas pretty much explains it. It refers to the Bespannungs-Abteilung or horse drawn detachment of the regiment. As originally formed, the foot artillery was specifically detailed for use in the manning of fortresses. However as doctrine changed in the late nineteenth century, elements of the foot artillery were to accompany the army in the field for such tasks as siege work and the like. To that end, an horse drawn component was established for foot artillery regiments, initially provided by the Train branch but from 1902 onwards as an integral part of the foot artillery.

Regards

Glenn

Hello!

That´s absolutely right, Glenn! But that doesn´t mean all regiments!

Here is the AVB from 1902.

image.thumb.jpeg.eac71158f84b3ac8266a04f480bf38a7.jpeg

Other regiments like the N°9 received it in 1912:

image.thumb.jpeg.9756a2fb0855277af248fde2f4ff6b1c.jpeg

So the sabre can be dated after october 1912

Edited by The Prussian

Hi Andy,

indeed and there was further reorganisation in 1913. With effect 1 October 1913, the Bespannungs-Abteilungen of Foot Artillery Regiments 6, 9, 13, 15, 16 and 18 had their establishment of personnel increased to each form two detachments which were named the 1. and 2. Bespannungs-Abteilung of their respective regiments and attached to the I. and II. battalions of their parent regiment respectively. In effect then, the sabre can further be dated between October 1912 and October 1913.

Regards

Glenn