News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help me ID Kaiserliche Marine Admirals

I have this interesting photo with several admirals. I suspect it might have been taken during a visit of an Austro-Hungarian delegation.

1 Kaiser Wilhelm II.

2 ??? (I'm not sure if he's an admiral, but he looks familiar, can't put a name to the face)

3 Admiral Henning von Holtzendorff (the officer standing behind him seems to be an Austro-Hungarian Army officer)

4 ???

5 ???

6 ??? (this is a full Admiral, 3 stripes on the sleeve. It could be a German Admiral or the Austro-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand, wearing the Kaiserliche Marine uniform. He held the honorary rank of Admiral in the Kaiserliche Marine)

7 Konteradmiral, looks very much like Reinhard Scheer ???

8 Austro-Hungarian Admiral Anton Haus

Thanks for any help!

Screenshot (1017) - Copy.png

I got confirmation that number 6 is Archduke Franz Ferdinand wearing the Kaiserliche Marine uniform.

Number 8 is not Anton Haus. It's k.u.k. Vizeadmiral Julius von Ripper.

Regarding number 7, I think it's indeed Reinhard Scheer. Notice the rare badge award he is wearing below the medal bar. It's the Offizierskreuz des Königlich Bayerischen Militärverdienstordens.

• 1 year later...

Großadmiral Anton Haus received the EK II and I, do you know of anymore German awards? Thanks! ... I also have:

Österreichisch-kaiserlicher Leopold-Orden, Ritterkreuz

Orden der Eisernen Krone (Österreich), Ritter III. Klasse

Kommandeurskreuz des Militär-Maria-Theresien-Ordens am 27. Oktober 1917

Edited by Deutschritter

GroßadmiraAnton Haus received the following German awards.

20.04.1910    preussischer Kronen-Orden 1. klasse

01.05.1914    Grosskreuz des prussischen Roten-Adler-Ordens

20.07.1915    Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

15.11.1915     Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Source:  Die Osterreichischen Admirale Band II 1896 -1914 (Pages 201-212) Antionio Schmidt-Brentano, Biblio Vrelag. Osnabruck 2000.

Edited by Ian
    Additional Info

I am almost sure that the number 5 is Admiral  Georg Alexander von Muller  who replaced in 1906 Admiral Gustav von Senden Bibran as Chief of the Naval Cabinet of Wilhelm II until 1918 , everywhere the Kaiser goes ,Von Muller was aside him

On 30/08/2021 at 22:58, Ian said:

GroßadmiraAnton Haus received the following German awards.

20.04.1910    preussischer Kronen-Orden 1. klasse

01.05.1914    Grosskreuz des prussischen Roten-Adler-Ordens

20.07.1915    Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

15.11.1915     Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Source:  Die Osterreichischen Admirale Band II 1896 -1914 (Pages 201-212) Antionio Schmidt-Brentano, Biblio Vrelag. Osnabruck 2000.

Thanks so much, Ian!

Thank you, Ian! I do have a question about Anton Haus: Seeing he received such high Prussian decorations (I was surprised about the ROA-Großkreuz), did he ever get the higher classes of the Österreichisch-kaiserlicher Leopold-Orden and Orden der Eisernen Krone (Österreich)?

He was awarded:

21.08.1913   Orden der Eisernen Krone 1. klasse

25.11.1916    Grosskreuz des Leopold-Ordens mit der kreisgsdekoration 

25.05.1917   Schwerter zum Militarverdienstkreuz 1. klasse

27.10.1917    Kommandeurkreuz des Militar-Maria-Theresien-Ordens (posthum)

27.10.1917    Grosskreuz des Leopold-Ordens, jeweils mit der kreisgsdekoration             (posthum)

Edited by Ian
    Additional Info

• 1 month later...
    On 31/08/2021 at 03:42, Bayern said:

I am almost sure that the number 5 is Admiral  Georg Alexander von Muller  who replaced in 1906 Admiral Gustav von Senden Bibran as Chief of the Naval Cabinet of Wilhelm II until 1918 , everywhere the Kaiser goes ,Von Muller was aside him

Thank you Bayern, I agree with you.

Do you think number 2 is Admiral Friedrich von Ingenohl perhaps?

And do you agree number 7 is Reinhard Scheer?

Hello Admiral, Number 2 looks certainly as von Ingenohl but number 7 is not Scheer i believe , he ranks as Konteradmiral and Scheer was full Admiral by 1913, the presence of Franz Ferdinand fixes the date of the pic before 1914 and i venture 1913 as the year of the pic was shot .

3 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello Admiral, Number 2 looks certainly as von Ingenohl but number 7 is not Scheer i believe , he ranks as Konteradmiral and Scheer was full Admiral by 1913, the presence of Franz Ferdinand fixes the date of the pic before 1914 and i venture 1913 as the year of the pic was shot .

Actually, Scheer was promoted to full Admiral in 1916. He was a Konteradmiral between 1910 and 1913. I think I was told the photo was taken during Kiel Week in 1910. Also, number 7 is wearing the Offizierskreuz des Königlich Bayerischen Militärverdienstordens. Scheer was a recipient of this medal. I strongly believe it is him on the photo.

Hello, your data about Scheer is more accurate . Regarding the date, i tought in the Kieler Woche of course not that of 1914, Franz Ferdinand was murdered precisely during the Kiel Week of these year and the Kaiser was noticed on board of his race yacht .     Another option is a visit of William II to the Austro Hungarian Heir in the Island of Brioni ( Istria ) today Brijuni .where Franz Ferdinand uses to go in holidays