News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It ironic that para badges of the Third Reich are often discussed but the Soviet Union pioneered para's and its often forgotten...here is probably one of the first military para badges issued...a 1931 design and first Soviet issue.

Chris

Edited by Chris S

Great topic, Chris! There are some very rare variations out there but I seldom found any. While I was in Georgia there was a very serious American collector of parachute badges and insignia working there and he got most of the good ones that became available while he was there. I'm pretty sure there are still some guys wondering when he's going to come back. He bought a lot of stuff, treated everyone well and was quite well respected. He did things right.

Here's my modest collection. I figure the little one on the bottom right to be a souvenir, but what the heck, souvenirs need homes too.

Chuck

I'm afraid more than the bottom right are souvenir badges.

Starting with the top three in the upper left, I've never seen such goony-bird looking planes. Also, one of the them doesn't even say "Master", but SSSR and then adds a "D" and a "U" along with a similar wierd "Instructor" that adds letters in the third row. All of the pre-'55 badges look bizarro.

Can you tell us anything about these - are they acknowledged homemade pieces or what?

I'm not saying people didn't wear or make these intending to deceive, but the only ones I would say are "real" or at least official issue are the '68 issues (single hole suspension), the '55 instructor in the bottom row (with double suspension loops), and the DOSAAF sportsmen ones.

I'm pleased to scan close-ups of any that you ask for, if I can do close-ups at all. Sometimes that seems to be beyond my pay grade. I agree that a couple of these are pretty rare.

As for authenticity, I seldom debate the merits of items that I already think are genuine and I do not venture that opinion of items that appear on the forum. I leave that for others to argue. It seems an unusually popular endeavor, but arguing never improves my serenity and I am better off avoiding it. What I will do, from time to time, is offer examples that I own for comparison to something under discussion, or very rarely a comment via PM, but no more than that. There are enough experts in this hobby without me pretending to be one.

I merely offer my small collection for viewing here and I hope you enjoy it. Each of these seems consistent with, or a minor variation of, badges in Avers or Likhitskiy. I think there is an authoritative para badge reference book out there somewhere, but this isn't a particular interest of mine and I don't own one.

Regarding saying something about them, I recall that I bought two, maybe three, of these at one time and the others one at a time over a period of several years.

For the life of me, I have never understood why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft.

Chuck

Chuck

If you get the chance I would love to see close ups of all your Master and early Instructor badges...it is not often you get a chance to see these.

Thanks...

Chris

I really do have trouble with posting decent images. Operator error. I hope these will suffice. If not, let me know and I'll try again.

Chuck

My self landing on a Russian Parachute...

Chris,

Are you the guy in control of his canopy or the less fortunate individual doing an impersonation of a snow plough?

Being dragged across frozen ground near a fence (barbed wire?) is part of the steep learning curve that encourages careful selection of the next DZ.

Do the canopies have openings for a bit of forward movement or are they very basic circular designs?

David

Am I the only one who believes these are not mint issue/manufacture? Originals are mini works of art with nice enameling, beautiful separate details, and crisp lettering. If it's not too much trouble can we see a reverse shot?