News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Africa-King Protea King's Commendation emblem

Hi Peter, I don't have any details currently about this specific award, but when lockdown is over I will endeavour to find out what I can about the recipient and hopefully what they received the Commendation for. 

Edited by Shots Dave
    correction

• 4 months later...

King's Commendation (1941)
    An original South African award, for valuable services during World War II.

Clip.jpg.5ea673c8e52cc9bfa1a25ce6df6b1810.jpg

Insignia: A silver or bronze protea flower emblem, worn on the ribbon of the Africa Service Medal.

Clip_2.jpg.17b43142e5a71bd449f4fc0bad74eff5.jpgClip_3.jpg.11f1b10602f5c103b910be3ed655807f.jpg

Pin type = Height: 23mm, Silver - 925. SAM.

Clip_4.jpg.2df30c1b42de08a97f42321e772fd3e4.jpgClip_5.jpg.c04e0cae9b12fb4c8ae1d613107a0f6b.jpg

Button type - silver.

On 05/07/2020 at 14:29, peter monahan said:

Nice.  I've never heard of this, but then there are thousands of things I've never heard of. ;)  Any ideas or examples of actions for which this might be awarded?

Peter

I HAVE heard of, but in spite of growing up in South Africa i never actually saw one! Nice piece indeed!!

Shots David,

There is no need to wait for the pandemic to end to research your South African medal.  I have researched a number of mine recently using dewald@antiques.co.za .  He is very reasonable in his prices and is quick in his response with the results.  Good luck in your research.  I'd like to add a medal with the commendation to my collection.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon

Thanks, I did actually use Dewald, when he was finally able to gain access to the information. I did only recently post the actual commendation details on Tuesday, you must have missed it, or maybe I didn't make it clear enough(apologies). I should have maybe mentioned my award was to a F/Sgt in the SAWAAF.

Stay safe

Dave

• 1 year later...

Shots Dave,

Interesting document and miniature award.  There was a South African medal with a Protea on it in the last DNW Auction.  I debated on buying it but I wasn't able to trace the chap so didn't. I've consoled myself by saying "Who needs another broken group anyway."

Regards,

Gordon

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I am a Collector from New Zealand and have only recently been made aware of this award too.

I would like to get either a Medal with the Protea Emblem on the ribbon, or the Protea emblem on its' own, for my Collection, so if anyone has one for sale, I'm keen to buy.

Cheers & thanks

Nigel