News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Militär Max Joseph Orden - Matrikelnummer

I have a question for the experts here in the Forum regarding the MMJO engraved ring number, or Matrikelnummer, and the recipient to which it was awarded.

I have access to Kramer´s “Virtuti Pro Patria” 1966 book, and Schrettinger´s 1882 book. Virtuti Pro Patria numbers seem to be chronological and not the actual “Matrikelnummer”

For example, Oberst Theodor Ritter von Hermann’s MMJO that was auctioned a couple of years ago, has a Matrikelnummer 289. However Virtuti Pro Patria (page 147) lists von Hermann’s MMJO as number 150. I guess this is the 150th. MMJO awarded during WW1.

So, how can I search a MMJO ring numbers to find out the times and recipients who received it? Where could I find this information?

Your guidance and help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi

You are right about the chronological numbers in the Kramer's book. Like Wilhelm Ritter von Reitzenstein has the number one he should be the first to received the MJ3. This is not the case. he was in fact the 23rd officer to receive it. Ritter von Kaufmann has got number 24 and was the 21st officer to receive the MJ3. Don't forget that there are several award dates. The validation date, which is the date of the diploma. The date of official reception when the decoration is awarded to the officer and the date of ennoblement

The validation date of Kaufmann is 26 August 1914. He received it on 21 May 1915 and became Ritter von on 12 July 1915.

I know that in Munich there is a list with all officers and matricule on the ring. This list is secret to prevent possible counterfeiting.

Years ago I have posted my list here, you can make research easily.

Christophe

23 hours ago, Deruelle said:

Hi

You are right about the chronological numbers in the Kramer's book. Like Wilhelm Ritter von Reitzenstein has the number one he should be the first to received the MJ3. This is not the case. he was in fact the 23rd officer to receive it. Ritter von Kaufmann has got number 24 and was the 21st officer to receive the MJ3. Don't forget that there are several award dates. The validation date, which is the date of the diploma. The date of official reception when the decoration is awarded to the officer and the date of ennoblement

The validation date of Kaufmann is 26 August 1914. He received it on 21 May 1915 and became Ritter von on 12 July 1915.

I know that in Munich there is a list with all officers and matricule on the ring. This list is secret to prevent possible counterfeiting.

Years ago I have posted my list here, you can make research easily.

Christophe

Thank you Christophe and Sandro. I had seen this wonderful thread with the list of recipients. As a matter of fact, I searched everywhere to see If I find the list with Matrikelnummern and recipients, but could not find any such thing.

For example von Epps MJ3 numbered 286 was awarded two times before him, once in the 1800’s. Kramer list this as MMJO Nr. 118

So, any idea on how to research a particular piece, say 286, and come up with the name of its 3 recipients? I would really like some help with this.

One more thing, all MJ3’s were numbered, and this number was unique right? I mean there were no two number X repeated Right?

it seems that the low numbered pieces that I have seen like 1, 33, etc, all were WW1 manufacture. So would this mean that there was no number 1, 33, etc produced in the 1800,s , or that the piece was no longer available, and a WW1 piece made to replace it?

In the case of von Epp’s the 1800 build piece was passed among 3 holders. However, could it be true that MJ3 number 1 was made two times. The 1800’s piece which at sometime became unavailable thus needing a 1914 piece also marked 1.

this is really confusing to me. I wish I could learn more....

2 hours ago, GMU said:

Thank you Christophe and Sandro. I had seen this wonderful thread with the list of recipients. As a matter of fact, I searched everywhere to see If I find the list with Matrikelnummern and recipients, but could not find any such thing.

For example von Epps MJ3 numbered 286 was awarded two times before him, once in the 1800’s. Kramer list this as MMJO Nr. 118

So, any idea on how to research a particular piece, say 286, and come up with the name of its 3 recipients? I would really like some help with this.

One more thing, all MJ3’s were numbered, and this number was unique right? I mean there were no two number X repeated Right?

it seems that the low numbered pieces that I have seen like 1, 33, etc, all were WW1 manufacture. So would this mean that there was no number 1, 33, etc produced in the 1800,s , or that the piece was no longer available, and a WW1 piece made to replace it?

In the case of von Epp’s the 1800 build piece was passed among 3 holders. However, could it be true that MJ3 number 1 was made two times. The 1800’s piece which at sometime became unavailable thus needing a 1914 piece also marked 1.

this is really confusing to me. I wish I could learn more....

Pleasure. I discussed the question of matching matrikelnumbers to recipients with Andreas Thies some time ago, and gather that ended, one has to go to the archives. I also understood high Martrikelnumbers to exist: that would argue against resistance of pieces using the old numbers. 

Thies just auctioned von Bothmer's MMJO knights cross with case and document. That cross had number 33, and according to he catalogue description, had been issued before to Ritter von Hopfner. in that context, he refers to Rudolf von Kramer, p74, presumably a reference to Virtuti Pro Patria

Is there a specific cross/Matrikelnumber you are researching? If so, can you share?  Thies, for example, has sold a fair number of identified MMJO's over time - perhaps a search of his catalogues can help tie a Matrikelnumber to an awardee?

Thank you Sandro, yes I have seen this MMJO recently auctioned. It is a beautiful piece in gold manufactured in WW1.

Kramer’s VPP mentions in pp 78-79 that Kurt Ritter von Hoppfer was awarded MMJO Nr. 33.

Thanks

Maybe a few comments on the subject. Ritter von Hopffer had the RK 
    with the matriculation number 20. The references in Kramer do not 
    refer to the matriculation number. Epp had the RK with the number 268 
    and not 286. The RK with the number 286 was awarded only once in 1814
    to a Russian (Schrettinger S. 68, Rapatel, Nr. 10 at the RK). 
    Order decorations of current members (i.e., status 1882) of the MMJO
    and their previous owners can be found in the Schrettinger on pages 
    74 - 77.

The purpose of the matriculation numbers was for a member of the 
    MMJO to find out who was allowed to wear this medal before him. The 
    order of the awards was important for the "Ordenspension" (Monthly 
    payment). These only existed for a certain number of members.
    An overview of this ranking can be found in 

"Der Bayerische Militär-Max-Joseph-Orden im Weltkrieg 1914/1918, 
    Teil III, Anlage 1". 

To my knowledge, this is the only publication of a ranking.
    Attached is a scan of this list. Sorry for my bad english.

img942.thumb.jpg.a869865405a6df00887bc8baa7467511.jpgimg943.jpg

img945.jpg

Edited by waldo

Hi Waldo,

Very interesting book. I would like to talk about that list. I see that Kaufmann has number 108. I had a copy from the Bavarian Archive and I had the MJ3 of Kaufmann. Ithas number 24 on the ring not 108

image.thumb.jpeg.cb672b0964a2349d5d2115b56423aec0.jpeg

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

Servus Christophe, No. 108 in the list at Kaufmann is not the 
    matriculation number but the serial number in this book where 
    it is listed. Sh. Picture attached.
    Kaufmann had the RK with the number 24, that's correct.
    Many Greetings from Bavaria 
    Walter

img947.jpg

The Max Joseph Order published this book (booklet) itself in 1927 
    and distributed it to its members. My copies are from the MMJO and 
    PlM owner v. Haasy, retired major general and from Ritter von 
    Grauvogl, whom I was allowed to collect personally from his grandson
    alongside a copy of the Schrettingers. 

Here a cheap photocopy of such a booklet is offered.

Edited by waldo

No, the list does not include matrikelnumbers. The number at the 
    end is the number under which the member of the MMJO is listed 
    in this booklet. See above.
    The only published matriculation numbers known to me so far are 
    in the Schrettinger.
    Unfortunately my English is not good and I have to rely on Google. 
    I'll try it again:

This booklet was published by the order in 1927 and distributed to 
    the members. This includes all officers awarded the MMJO in 
    alphabetical order with their deeds. Furthermore you can see the 
    ranking within the individual classes. I attach the table of 
    contents as an attachment.

img949.jpg

Edited by waldo

28 minutes ago, waldo said:

No, the list does not include matrikelnumbers. The number at the 
    end is the number under which the member of the MMJO is listed 
    in this booklet. See above.

The only published matriculation numbers known to me so far are 
    in the Schrettinger.

Unfortunately my English is not good and I have to rely on Google. 
    I'll try it again:

This booklet was published by the order in 1927 and distributed to 
    the members. This includes all officers awarded the MMJO in 
    alphabetical order with their deeds. Furthermore you can see the 
    ranking within the individual classes. I attach the table of 
    contents as an attachment.

img949.jpg

Vielen Dank, Waldo, alles Klar und Ihr English ist sehr gut verständlich.

Hello Christophe,

it is a pdf with 36 double pages and a size of 57 MB. I have already 
    saved and compressed them into 3 parts. Nevertheless, I cannot set 
    them here because the file is under 8 MB in size, but the system 
    still says that they are too large.

Walter

Edited by waldo