News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean Order of Diplomatic Service Merit

JBFloyd

I've acquired a nice little Korean Order of Diplomatic Service Merit second class breast star. However, it measures 30mm at its widest point.  I'm used to seeing miniature breast stars from Spain, but I've not even seen a reference to one from Korea.  

Any ideas?

FloydMedals B-4333 obv.jpg

FloydMedals B-4333 rev.jpg

Edited by JBFloyd

Looks nice.  

I have sets in my database of second type from as early as 1972. 

No miniatures of breast stars in sight. 

Only standart ribbon bar and rosette. 

So it looks like unofficial privately ordered piece. 

l20060804062724.jpg

Edited by JapanX

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all.

First the Diplomatic Merit Order of the Republic of Korea exist on this shape since 1967, the large modification of Order and Medal system of Korea occured in 1973 (not 1972 ). And the onliest 2 award that saw almost no modification were the Order of Great Mugunghwa (for head of States), and the Order of Diplomatic Merit. Of course since 1967 there had been some minor changes in the Order, like the 2nd Class, who at first had a sash & a breast star, but later was a neck Order and a breast star. There was also for some time a sash pink with black edged stripes, but this is now obsolete.

Second, I suggest our Moscow friend not to act, as if he is a GMIC Guru, because concerning Republic of Korea, the Guru is Don Pfeiffer. 

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Re-read my post carefully.

I`ve never suggested that change of types took place in 1972

I only wrote that the earliest documented group of 2nd type (that I am familiar with) dates from 1972 and has standart set of ribbon bar and rosette without miniature breast star.

Naturally the "insider information" about 1967 is known to me. 

On 05/09/2020 at 21:06, heusy68 said:

Second, I suggest our Moscow friend not to act, as if he is a GMIC Guru...

That's a terrible, terrible thing to say :catjava:

Edited by JapanX

P.S.  

On 05/09/2020 at 21:06, heusy68 said:

... like the 2nd Class, who at first had a sash & a breast star, but later was a neck Order and a breast star.

There was also for some time a sash pink with black edged stripes, but this is now obsolete.

The quality of your information is quite amazing and prefectly matched with the brazenness of your suggestions.

March 17, 2019

Louis Gallois https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Gallois right after he was awarded with 2nd (Heungin) class.

4.jpg

Edited by JapanX

Hello JapanX,

My aim was to emphase that, Korean Republic award system being one of the most difficult to understand, and to follow, because of it's main 3 variation, but also because there is sub variation even inside the 3 main group of insignia. I'am sure you know. It's because I love that that I'am not lost, and I'am sure you're not lost either. But most people are. From 1967 to 69, the 2nd Class breast star of the Order of Diplomatic Merit was said to be 45 degree rotating, if you compare to the 1st Class breast star (but still with pin vertical). I never saw such a breast star (even if according to the BIG 1070 page orange book : Mongaha, it was similar but just rotating...it's Page 637 ). I will try to do a photo with I Phone. In Phaleristic, the devil can hide in the detail. I would really have the opinion of Don Pfeifer, because him, he knows more, he's the onliest non korean that had had access to Republic of Korea State Archives concerning Order (he's perfectly fluent in korean).

Actually for long time, the 2nd Class was not any more with the sash pink with dark grey stripes,....but it seems that they choose to re-instaure it. Don Pfeifer was maintaining his own web page for a while, but I was not able to found it back (it was something in : home.earthlink.net.....but it seems inactive now

Regards.

Emmanuel

On 09/09/2020 at 13:42, heusy68 said:

My aim was to emphase that, Korean Republic award system being one of the most difficult to understand...  

You certainly set an example of how maddeningly difficult it can be ... 

Edited by JapanX

30 mm (full size breast stars for 1973 type of the order have diameter around 72 мм).

1.jpg.13717abbfcffab7291517698c594710b.jpg

2.jpg.cb35cb75ee68993928754fac4de925cc.jpg

3.jpg.2478cb0ec207a6a3425046dcd4631088.jpg

Again the same story regarding the official awarding sets - no mini breast stars in sight (only ribbon bar and lapel badge).

ROK_ulchi3.jpg.72844840fa8f5eeb1716d0a522c20de7.jpg

33.jpg.e484aa1d722323f77c3de8d7085b993c.jpg

;) 

6.jpg.7baf6d27e35b7345c363cf448762dfa4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to have been out of touch for so long.  Work is driving me crazy.

As to miniature medals. Some Korean Orders and medals are available as miniature medals Yak Jang 약장. Korean law requires miniature Medals to be ½ of their normal size, and current law expressly prohibits miniaturizing Orders that are normally worn on a sash or cravat. During the 1950s, most Korea Orders and Medals were breast medals. Miniatures from this time period can be found, but starting in the early 60s, Sashes and Cravats were added to the higher classes. Current legislation also prohibits the wearing of full sized Orders on a sash or cravat while wearing miniature medals of the lower classes. In general, only the 4th and 5th classes of an Order, Merit Medals and Ki Jang can be miniaturized. Because of these prohibitions, miniature medals are rarely found after the 1950s. High ranking officials want to wear their most prestigious Orders at formal events, so miniatures are not needed. All that being said, there is a caveat - There are situations where diplomats and high ranking military officers need to wear miniatures in order to conform with the other attendees of an event, and in these situations, miniatures are known to exist even though they violate the legal codes. (The Korean phrase “Yak Jang” 약장 is also used for "Ribbon Bar".) As soon as I get a little time, I will dig out my Korean miniature collection and post some pictures.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...