News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Freikorps and Reichswehr Helmets

What can I see on the pic are : a man with bavarian officer pickelhaube, behind him what appears a stahlhelm with some design painted on the front and the Bavarian shield on the left side and a man with stahlhelm moustache and Bavarian borte over the collar of his tunic 

The helmet in the first picture also has the Bavarian shield on the side as worn by Freikorps Epp when it was in the Reichswehr.

Here a picture of the Drum and Bugle corps of 1. bayer. Reichswehr-Schützen-Regiment 41 (Freikorps Epp) showing a similar Bavarian shield on the side of their helmets.

1828360516_DrumandBugle.thumb.jpg.2b42aed8cd780404a1b4d732b993cf26.jpg1818975840_DrumandBugleCu.jpg.16009a0464954bc3fd029107d2daea1a.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

this guy must have been a royalist, as his has a wittelsbach crown above the wappen. perfect headgear for a fahnenweihe or appell! no idea if it is real, but description stated it came from a canadian military museum

original-bavarian-freikorps-helmet-1919_1_888ed47584207f342d09e1db202f4b8c.jpg.965978bcf47ff4083873eb85aeda5757.jpg

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

7 hours ago, Eric Stahlhut said:

this guy must have been a royalist, as his has a wittelsbach crown above the wappen. perfect headgear for a fahnenweihe or appell! no idea if it is real, but description stated it came from a canadian military museum

original-bavarian-freikorps-helmet-1919_1_888ed47584207f342d09e1db202f4b8c.jpg.965978bcf47ff4083873eb85aeda5757.jpg

This version was, I believe an early pattern of the Reichswehr helmet from somewhere around June to September 1919.

19 hours ago, Bayern said:

In fact was one of two variants weared by Freikorps von Epp when it was transformed in the XXI Brigade of the Provisional Reichswehr .

I believe this was the first type from, as I said June-September 1919, as in the first half of 1919, at least the Bavarian Freikorps and Einwohnerwehr were ardent royalists and anti-Weimar republic who wanted to restore the Wittelsbach dynasty to the throne in Bavaria. Thus, the crown.