Thoughts on this individual and his orders and medals

Wyomingguy

Good evening,

I am not a collector of Japanese militaria but I do seek out interesting images of people wearing orders and medals. This one came into my collection as I was fascinated to see the Portuguese Order of Christ (or so I believe) as the second medal on his chest. When I got the image, I saw there was writing on the reverse. Not being skilled in French, I am hoping one of our more astute members can help in identifying him and his story. I assumed that the Order of Christ was restricted to Roman Catholics so that makes the image even more intriguing. Happy to be corrected on my assumptions. 

Thanks. 

Peter

Image (1).jpeg

Image (1).jpeg

Graham,

I am 99% certain it is the Austrian Merit Cross with crown, but I would venture that the ribbon is correct. The anomaly you allude to is just the way the camera has picked up the weave on the ribbon.

A mid level diplomat/Public official I suspect.   Hopefully some one can decipher the French inscription.

Regards,

Ian

I'm afraid the French  inscription on the reverse of this photo is not of any assistance in identifying his awards. My French is not good, but I think it reads: "To Mr. S. Mashuko [or Mashiko?-neither of these seem correct-Matsuoka? Matsukawa???], in memory of affection and friendship of a devoted friend  R [?]i[?]ata [Hinata? again, this seems unlikely-Inata?] Tokyo 2/10 1912"

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Glad to offer a something, sorry it doesn't help identify the awards. By the way, I Iove Cody! I often wonder of Bob Edgar's Trail Town is still an ongoing Roadside Attraction there? Gotta love the Hole in the Wall Gang;'s cabin, Curley's cabin, the graves of Jeremiah "liver-eaten" Johnson, Jim Bridger, the "Boss Hunter", and those couple of scabs who shot each other dead in a love triangle, and several years later Bob was able to get the remains of the woman they killed each other over. Plus all the Buffalo Bill memorabilia at the Irma (Queen Victoria's gift bar to Cody with the effete European woods bison and Annie Oakley's tin shot silhouette of Buffalo Bill). 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Glad you enjoy Cody. Trail Town remains open although our season for tourists is waning with the arrival of fall. The Irma Hotel with the bison headed backbar is also still here open and functioning. Of course the big museum to see is the Buffalo Bill Center of the West with seven football fields of treasures including the Cody Firearms Museum (which just went through a $12 million renovation).

Thanks for asking. 

Hi Peter,

https://de.todocoleccion.net/militaria-medaillen/orden-militar-cristo-portugal-orden-temple~x84664672

https://veryimportantlot.com/de/lot/view/osterreich-kaiserlich-osterreichischer-franz-jose-174948

but gold or silver, who knows? There are two ribbons, the complete red one is the Friedensband.

Kind regards

Andreas