News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Covid 19 Medals of the World

• 1 month later...

COVID-19 Medal of the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps, which is part of the Irish Association of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. Unlike the SMOM's COVID medal, which seems to mainly have been awarded to nurses and doctors with Malteser International, this is a medal of the Ambulance Corps only, and not an official national medal. Roughly the same status as a medal from the Red Cross or one of the Australian police or fire services medals that can't be worn on the left breast. I'm not sure the exact details of this medal yet, what the criteria are or whatnot, but given the non unique ribbon and the clasp format, I am guessing that this might be a new GSM type medal. 

image.png.985df0c7292f56d3e1eeef2da37a7e95.png

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Australian Federal Police issued a citation ribbon, worn on right breast, for all members involved in support to COVID operations in Australia (Op Protect).

image.png

New South Wales (NSW) Ambulance Service (Australia) issued their own internal service medal for Pandemic Service.

image.png

I also believe that South Australia Police has started issuing an Emergency Service - Active Service Medal to their personnel for their involvement in COVID operations.

image.png

On 09/10/2020 at 00:36, bigjarofwasps said:

There appears to be a steady flow of Covid Medals that are beginning to be issued around the world.

To that end have created this thread so as to keep them all in one place.

1E49B172-245D-40CB-916C-7F6D4AE8B2C5.jpeg

Johor 

B7F05C1A-0695-4D6E-B874-6E197678B0DD.png

963DEB3B-264A-4B9C-9145-06F18D94ADD7.jpeg

Eire

87651B91-A353-4C0B-B793-2A37CCF4B560.jpeg

944BFBB3-057D-4BF4-B042-14E643B9A5BB.jpeg

United States of America

8344EC05-7C94-46FF-88B5-6CD475C944D3.jpeg

Ukraine 

F69D9867-2BC3-4831-B0BF-C2E15095AAB9.jpeg

Russia

4A401B6E-979A-4760-810E-C46314B676B2.jpeg

Italy

D7FC24C8-EBAB-4950-8A43-31F1B3E384A3.jpeg

Australia 

1DAED91D-DA34-4558-9939-84454AE9F5FF.jpeg

Spain

41CE8E92-A339-4F69-8CA3-E585C7815E07.jpeg

India has issued one as well, but as yet I’ve been unable to find a picture of one. 

G'day BigJarOfWasps,

The Australian medal (with Southern Cross ribbon) shown in your initial post above is not a legit medal, or even an unofficial medal. It was used by someone to push for a medal petition in Oz I think (concept design). The medal itself is actually from the Australian Defence Medal, which is a legit and recognised Defence Medal for initial period of service/enlistment. Nothing to do with COVID.

As yet (to the best of my knowledge) there has been no formal recognition for ADF personnel who served in COVID operations, unless they have been individually recognised for exemplary/diligent service through Australia Day or Queens (now Kings) Birthday award process. Those nominations are significantly limited.

Most of the recognition that has been issued organisation wide thus far, has involved State emergency services organisations (i.e. Australian Federal Police, SA Police, NSW Ambulance Service) who have authority to issue their own official awards. I believe there was some hope that the pandemic service would result in the issue of the National Emergency Medal (as it is truely a national emergency). But I don't think anything has formally been decided as yet.

41 minutes ago, Oz-Expat said:

G'day BigJarOfWasps,

The Australian medal (with Southern Cross ribbon) shown in your initial post above is not a legit medal, or even an unofficial medal. It was used by someone to push for a medal petition in Oz I think (concept design). The medal itself is actually from the Australian Defence Medal, which is a legit and recognised Defence Medal for initial period of service/enlistment. Nothing to do with COVID.

As yet (to the best of my knowledge) there has been no formal recognition for ADF personnel who served in COVID operations, unless they have been individually recognised for exemplary/diligent service through Australia Day or Queens (now Kings) Birthday award process. Those nominations are significantly limited.

Most of the recognition that has been issued organisation wide thus far, has involved State emergency services organisations (i.e. Australian Federal Police, SA Police, NSW Ambulance Service) who have authority to issue their own official awards. I believe there was some hope that the pandemic service would result in the issue of the National Emergency Medal (as it is truely a national emergency). But I don't think anything has formally been decided as yet.

Further to my last:

This is the Australian National Emergency Medal (Gold stripes on Eucalyptus Green) which MAY be used for recognition in Australia. If it does it would then likely be issued with a clasp (i.e. COVID 19).

image.png

If the National Emergency Medal does not get authorised for this national emergency, the Australian Defence Force may perhaps look at issuing a dedicated Operational Service Medal (OSM) (with a specific coloured operational ribbon) to their personnel. This would not be the first of its type for domestic operations, as they already exist for Border Protection, Counter Terrorism, and some Special Operations etc.

image.png

If their isn't some kind of formal recognition it appears that Australia will end up with a mismatch of some personnel being issued recognition for their efforts and COVID work (either through Oz Day/Birthday Honours (limited few) or internal organisation awards (i.e. police, ambulance, and emergency services medals)), whilst others will not. Ironically for doing the same roles and working together in many cases.

Edited by Oz-Expat

• 4 weeks later...

The German Red Cross have instituted this 'Ribbon only' award for Corona Deployment Service.

Ribbon dimensions - Standard German format of 25 x 12mm.

Auszeichnungsspange „Coronaeinsatz“ des Deutschen Roten Kreuz (DRK)

seit 2022

image.png.38e58b3d536f31990afecfb130ea1503.png

Link here:

https://www.die-deutschen-orden.de/ordensuebersicht/bundeslander/bundesauszeichnungen/ehrenzeichen-des-deutschen-roten-kreuzes-in-gold-damenausfuehrung-2/

• 3 weeks later...
    20 hours ago, Antonio Prieto said:

Update of the ribbon sheet

covid1.gif

Antonio the Order of Malta's medal is an official medal of a sovereign nation. The Order is its own country. Issues valid passports, has ambassadors, etc. That medal shouldn't be put with the unofficial group. But the Ukrainian and Russian medals are unofficial so they should be down there instead. 

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

good morning, being a soldier (Carabiniere) I have read this topic with great interest and I hope there will be new updates on the matter.  meanwhile I show you my ribbons with my COVID-19 badge (ItalyE747D1BE-7A7A-4970-A9DA-328490F804B0.thumb.jpeg.f535c6255bc95fdc6019342d2e12fdd1.jpeg BECED571-C6F5-4F88-975C-B1AE4F1D134C.jpeg.d31dba4e7ce81c576354295f7318703a.jpeg

Edited by Nalli

6 hours ago, Nalli said:

good morning, being a soldier (Carabiniere) I have read this topic with great interest and I hope there will be new updates on the matter.  meanwhile I show you my ribbons with my COVID-19 badge (ItalyE747D1BE-7A7A-4970-A9DA-328490F804B0.thumb.jpeg.f535c6255bc95fdc6019342d2e12fdd1.jpeg BECED571-C6F5-4F88-975C-B1AE4F1D134C.jpeg.d31dba4e7ce81c576354295f7318703a.jpeg

Malteser International Refugee Aid Medal recipient I see! I am a volunteer with the Order in Ireland.

3 hours ago, Zulu_00 said:

Vincitore della Medaglia per l'Aiuto ai Rifugiati del Malteser International, vedo! Sono un volontario dell'Ordine in Irlanda.

yes, I am also a volunteer of the Order of Malta in Italy, also a Knight of the Sacred Military Order of St. George and other chivalric orders

7 hours ago, Nalli said:

yes, I am also a volunteer of the Order of Malta in Italy, also a Knight of the Sacred Military Order of St. George and other chivalric orders

I've always been curious about that order. How do people get admitted to it?

1 hour ago, Nalli said:

what order do you mean?

Sacred Military Order of Saint George

1 hour ago, Nalli said:

what order do you mean?

I'll send you a private message we should let this thread stay COVID focused

• 2 weeks later...
    Il 4/1/2023 alle 12:26, Zulu_00 ha detto:

Sacro Ordine Militare di San Giorgio

Ti mando un messaggio privato, dovremmo lasciare che questo thread rimanga incentrato sul COVID

Si, sono d’accordo!