News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Covid 19 Medals of the World

Interesting to see, so many countries issuing Covid medals (& the US having 4). Britain still to issue one, if at all. The last I heard was that Australia, weren’t now intending adding a bar to their NEM, but instead having a new OSM, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see with regards that.  

15 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Interesting to see, so many countries issuing Covid medals (& the US having 4). Britain still to issue one, if at all. The last I heard was that Australia, weren’t now intending adding a bar to their NEM, but instead having a new OSM, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see with regards that.  

Ireland might potentially be doing one. Very divisive issue with most people saying pay and conditions for the troops should be improved instead, which I agree with, but they think that it's a choice between one or the other. In the grand scheme of things a couple of hundred thousand Euros to strike medals is very small in the grand scheme of things, and pay and conditions won't be improved overnight.

19 hours ago, Antonio Prieto said:

Ribbon plate updated

covid1.gif

The spanish medal over the uniform

51562570434_e4d478daf3_o_d.jpg

Reference my above post. The Sovereign Military Order of Malta is a sovereign nation with observer status at the UN, and their medal shouldn't be lumped in with the unofficial ones.

• 2 weeks later...

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) citation should be in the unofficial section as it's not an official award of the Australian government. Here's my set of AFP citations including Operation Protect. 

20220225_213749.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    47 minutes ago, Paul463 said:

Hi, is this the real thing? Is there a link to it please?

Sadly, I don’t think it is. Popped up on a Twitter feed. I think that if any such medal was going to be awarded in the U.K. it would have been announced long ago.  Especially when you consider how quickly the Ebola Medal and recent clasp for the OSM with regards to Afghanistan where conceived, produced and awarded. I think people are just generally sick of Covid (pardon the pun), and it and any metallic recognition for it, will soon be consigned to history (in the U.K. anyway). 

Trouble with such an award is who actually deserves it. ? Yes some frontline NHS staff working with sick COVID patients indeed deserve it, as do other care workers working in the community. Some emergency services and some military personnel who assisted medical services also deserve it. But what about the host of other essential workers that continued working in frontline public facing jobs in the darkest days of lockdown, pre vaccination. Just take supermarket staff who continued to serve the public keeping shops open for essential goods putting themselves at risk during those dark days. Just too many people to count and I think it would be wrong to just reward those that wear a public service uniform. Makes the whole thing unfeasable.

4 hours ago, Nick said:

Trouble with such an award is who actually deserves it. ? Yes some frontline NHS staff working with sick COVID patients indeed deserve it, as do other care workers working in the community. Some emergency services and some military personnel who assisted medical services also deserve it. But what about the host of other essential workers that continued working in frontline public facing jobs in the darkest days of lockdown, pre vaccination. Just take supermarket staff who continued to serve the public keeping shops open for essential goods putting themselves at risk during those dark days. Just too many people to count and I think it would be wrong to just reward those that wear a public service uniform. Makes the whole thing unfeasable.

I fear you might be correct.

But would the NHS even qualify?

They have after all had a £500 bonus.

The other emergency services didn’t get anything.

Other countries appear to have managed their awards without issue? 

Re other none public services, nothing stopping Morrisons for example awarding their staff a medal or giving them a pandemic bonus.

I believe a medal for the emergency services is the least that could be done. 

Surely there must have been people who didn’t qualify for the WW2 defence medal, yet whose service was just as admiral as the next person, who did qualify for one. 

But why do emergency services deserve an official Queens medal and a supermarket worker have to make do with some piece of corporate junk that is not worth anything ? Seems unfair when the risk of exposure was just as great. For example UK Border Force were issued with some cheap challenge coin which was considered pretty worthless by most recipients (and they didn't qualify for the platinum  jubilee medal either). 

Lots of inconsistencies in how the UK Government decides who gets awards and rewards. I am sure many NHS workers have preferred the bonus payment to a medal, but don't see why receiving this should preclude them from a medal if it was to be awarded. 

At the end of the day I will be surprised if such a medal happens. You have to weigh up who was deserving and this is a difficult thing to assess. Just because someone works for the NHS shouldn't make it an automatic award criteria, any more than someone who is military unless deployed in direct support of the pandemic. 

On 23/03/2022 at 20:37, Nick said:

But why do emergency services deserve an official Queens medal and a supermarket worker have to make do with some piece of corporate junk that is not worth anything ? Seems unfair when the risk of exposure was just as great. For example UK Border Force were issued with some cheap challenge coin which was considered pretty worthless by most recipients (and they didn't qualify for the platinum  jubilee medal either). 

Lots of inconsistencies in how the UK Government decides who gets awards and rewards. I am sure many NHS workers have preferred the bonus payment to a medal, but don't see why receiving this should preclude them from a medal if it was to be awarded. 

At the end of the day I will be surprised if such a medal happens. You have to weigh up who was deserving and this is a difficult thing to assess. Just because someone works for the NHS shouldn't make it an automatic award criteria, any more than someone who is military unless deployed in direct support of the pandemic. 

Interesting that the U.K. border agency didn’t get the Platinum Jubilee Medal, that did surprise me. I would have thought them being crown servants they would have qualified. This kinda blows the theory about Morrisons not being crown servants and thus not entitled to any Covid Medal out of te water.
    But I suspect your quite correct, such an award would be fraught with danger, and perhaps left well alone….

Think it was Churchill that said a medal glitters also cast a shadow, in essence whatever they may come up with, someone will be disappointed. I guess they’ll just have to weigh up, how much disappointment can they justify…..

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

After a year of hard campaigning, my COVID-19 medal proposal for the Irish Defence Forces got officially axed today. I'm gutted but I fought the good fight on it up to the highest echelons of politics and military bureaucracy.

On 19/05/2022 at 12:01, Zulu_00 said:

After a year of hard campaigning, my COVID-19 medal proposal for the Irish Defence Forces got officially axed today. I'm gutted but I fought the good fight on it up to the highest echelons of politics and military bureaucracy.

Shame. What, if any, were the reasons given?

On 28/05/2022 at 11:10, bigjarofwasps said:

Very nice!! Obviously the middle one is the converted Covid medal, but would be interested to learn what the other two are? 

First medal is the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps' Papal Visit 2018 Medal for those who were on duty for the visit, then the third is more of a mingy gong that all those in frontline, emergency and security services were eligible for that was made by a joint forum of reps from all the services to celebrate the first National Services Day, but my unit bought it for me and it is approved for wear so I figured I'd put it up.

Going slightly off topic, but would people be willing to share a picture of their official (government) or NGO (charity/organisation medals - AKA not sold by a for-profit company) like I have with my group above?