News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Numis, To read full JOMSA articles, you may go to the OMSA website and select the JOMSA issue containing the article you wish to read.  Searching by title yields only the first pages relating to the article.

On 29/11/2020 at 09:32, numis said:

Thank you.

However the JOMSA text copied cuts off at JOMSA page 7 and there are no numbers issued quoted up until then

Opps.  My apologies.  :(

I don't think Ed uses this forum any longer but he is a member of OMSA, I assume, and of the South Asian Military Heritage Facebook page, if you want to try and contacvt him diurectly.  Don't use my name! ;)

P

Edited by peter monahan

The forum which Ed hosts is SAGONGS. I have been a member of the forum for 15 years. For anyone who has any interest in the ODM of the subcontinent it is a treasure house of knowledge. All you ever wanted ( or didnt even know you wanted) to know.

p

Gentlemen,

To add a little to this thread.  One of these badges, to a Moslem, sold recently on Spinks for 290 pounds.  There is one for sale now on London Medals for 695 pounds.

https://london-medals.co.uk/indian-title-badge-muslim-issue-3rd-class-for-khan-sahib-gvr-2nd-type-silver-and-enamel-awarded-to-saiyed-mohammad-on-1st-january-1934-scarce 

Regards,

Gordon

Scan_20201202.png

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I was interested to see the numbers issued for GV undated badges. Some of these were awarded to to those whose titles were granted before 1911 and were still alive in 1911 .

I have one ( bought in a lot of three Gv Khan Sahib badges  , the other two of which are now duplicates for   disposal ) which was for a pre 1911 title grant to the Subadar Major of the Kurrum Militia. This was not apparent from the badge itself which only has the recipient name but no rank 

I was also interested to note that fewer awards were made to Muslims than to Hindus

What the table does not show is how many ( probably not that many ) of the top two tiers were direct first time awards and not upwards promotions from a lower tier .I have one to a Khan Badahur who probably received the direct award because of considerations of status

It would be interesting to know what proportion of the total awards were to Military recipients .

Possibly some of these may have received the ITB where they were not deemed eligible for the OBI