News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Decorations of Marius Cornelis van Houten

Dear fellow collectors,

I came across this medalbar (see image attached) which supposedly belonged to Marius Cornelis van Houten. Given the somewhat unusual combination I wondered if the identification has been correct. He lived from 1879 untill 1953 and he had some pretty high-end jobs during the interbellum period so the combination could be possible. Would any of the collectors of Dutch medals be able to weigh in on this one?

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

IMG-20201212-WA0007-1.jpg

33 minutes ago, Sampo said:

and was recently restaurated

Very interesting, I saw the medalbar on the Instagram page of a tailor who also happened to have made my dad's medalbar. Good to know it now rests safely in the National Military Museum.

Kind regards, Laurentius

In the Dutch Army officers list of 1936 he is listed as a Lieutenant Colonel of the Military Police (Koninklijke Marechaussee) with the following decorations: Knight in the Order of Oranje Nassau,  officers cross 30, Member in the Order of the British Empire (MBE) and the Decoration 2nd class of tge Austrian Red Cross.

The Mobilisation cross WW1 is not mentioned in these lists as it was awarded by a private committee. 

The Knight in the Order of the Nederlandse Leeuw and the Mobilisation cross WW2 were awarded later. The MOK from 1949 to 1952.

So Laurentius this medalbar is fully legitimate as Sampo also stated. 

Question: Your dad is General Hoeffer? 

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

Question: Your dad is General Hoeffer? 

That would make me atleast 82 years old ?.

No, my dad is a normal guy in his fifties who got an award from the Polish state in 2012 for his services in the Worker's Union.

14 hours ago, laurentius said:

That would make me atleast 82 years old ?.

No, my dad is a normal guy in his fifties who got an award from the Polish state in 2012 for his services in the Worker's Union.

?? Thanks. 

Bovomed is a good adress for your medals. Also the set of General Hoeffer was refreshed by them. Therefore my question. 

Cheers

Herman