News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish miniature award grouping

I recently acquired this miniature grouping.  I usually stick with German imperial groupings, but this one caught my eye with all of the different awards.  It would appear to possibly be a well traveled diplomat?

I was curious if it was possible to be attributed and determine the missing award?

What I see:

Order of Dannebrog in Gold

Order of Dannebrog in Silver 

French Legion of Honor

Greek Order of the Redeemer

Mecklenburg-Schwerin Order of Wendish Crown

Thailand Order of the Crown

Prussian Order of the Crown, Fourth Class

Best regards,

Mini.jpg

Dear Lilnuke,

a very nice chain, perhaps not German imperial but still in that zone. Given the lack of combat awards I suspect the owner of this chain to be courtier or politician. The third medal might be some form of coronation or jubileummedal?

Kind regards, Laurentius

Could also be a (higher ranking) court employee. The Dannebrog order and the Dannebrog Merit Cross look to be Christian IX versions and The Royal House had family connections with Greece and Mecklenburg as well as diplomatic relations in Siam/Thailand.

My homemade tool that searches for Danish Dannebrog recipients in 9 biographical tomes, 3 State- & Court calendars and 1 Who's Who couldn't flush him out though, but court employees often fly under the radar in these 'self-promotional' sources.

Edited by Great Dane

5 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

Could also be a (higher ranking) court employee. The Dannebrog order and the Dannebrog Merit Cross look to be Christian IX versions and The Royal House had family connections with Greece and Mecklenburg as well as diplomatic relations in Siam/Thailand.

My homemade tool that searches for Danish Dannebrog recipients in 9 biographical tomes, 3 State- & Court calendars and 1 Who's Who couldn't flush him out though, but court employee often fly under the radar in these 'self-promotional' sources.

What do you think about this man?

Henri Carl August Glæsel
    Arkitekt, Inspektør og Sekretær ved Statsinventarie-Kommissionen.

In the state calendar of 1912 he has the following:

Knight of the Dannebrog order
    Dannebrog, Merit Cross (he got that in 1912)
    French, Legion of Honour 4th class
    Greece, Order of the Redeemer 4th class
    Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Order of the Wendish crown 3rd class
    Siam, Order of the crown 4th class
    Prussia, Order of the crown 4th class
    Russia, Order of St. Stanislaus 2nd class

Everything fits except the Russian order. But since there is one mini missing from the chain...
    Would it be correct to have the St. Stanislaus after the Danish orders and before the French?
    For me that seems a bit strange. 

In the state calendar of 1915 he also has

Italy, order of the crown 3rd class
    UK, don't know what it is (Stb.Ed.VII & A.M in the calendar) The best fit would be the coronation medal, but that was from 1902, why is it not listed earlier? Or is there any other UK medal that would fit better?

After looking through other years of the danish state calendar without finding anyone else who fits I believe 
    Henri Carl August Glæsel is the right guy and the missing piece is either the Russian St. Stanislaus 2nd class or the Italian order of the crown 3rd class. 

479152395_Henri-Glsel.jpg.a641e503e959d082be2716d9218e713e.jpg

Henri Glæsel
    Born: March 19 1853
    Died: July 8 1921

Edited by JohanH

37 minutes ago, JohanH said:

After looking through other years of the danish state calendar without finding anyone else who fits I believe 
    Henri Carl August Glæsel is the right guy and the missing piece is either the Russian St. Stanislaus 2nd class or the Italian order of the crown 3rd class. 

479152395_Henri-Glsel.jpg.a641e503e959d082be2716d9218e713e.jpg

Henri Glæsel
    Born: March 19 1853
    Died: July 8 1921

Gentlemen,

You all never cease to amaze me with your abilities.  If I read correctly, Glæsel was an architect and an inspektør og -sekretær for Statsinventarie-kommissionen.  It would be interesting to know how he traveled to so many locations, I'm guessing through the royal connections?

Many thanks for your help!

Based on the Danish State- & Court Handbooks, these are the approximate dates for his awards (bear in mind, those sources may contain inaccuracies etc.):

• <1890: France. Legion of Honour (Knight)
    • ~1890: Russia, St. Stanislaus (2. class)
    •              Prussia, Crown Order (4. class)
    • ~1897: Siam, Crown Order (Officer)
    • 1898: Denmark, Dannebrog (Knight)
    • ~1899: Mecklenburg, Wendish Crown (Knight)
    • ~1902: France. Legion of Honour (Officer)
    • ~1903: Greece, Redeemer (Officer)
    • 1912: Denmark, Dannebrog Merit Cross
    • ~1912: Great Britain: King Edward VII's and Queen Alexandra's Medal for Arts & Science
    • ~1914: Italy, Order of the Crown (Commander 1. class)

The British medal for arts and science is identified as such in one of the biographical tomes, although it should have been abbreviated "Stb.M.of.a.& sc." in the calendar to be correct instead of "Stb.Ed.VII & A.M."...

Also notice, that although he seems to progress through the classes of the Mecklenburg Wendish Crown order in the calendars (MVKr.5 -> MVKr.4 -> MVKr.3), this is just an adjustment of the class descriptions - he remains Knight of this order.

Also note, that the Italian order was awarded late in his life (he dies 7 years later), so he may not have that one added to his chain.

Now the big question for me is how Johan found him so quickly??? ?

A small correction:

According to "Royal Service - vol. II", the "King Edward VII’s Medal for Science, Art and Music" only existed for 4 years (1902-1906) and was only awarded 12 times. Queen Alexandra awarded 3 during her visit to Copenhagen (in her native country Denmark) in 1903. One of the recipients was Glæsel.

So Glæsel got that medal in 1903, but it wasn't listed in the State- and Court Calendar until 1913.

Given its short lifespan, maybe no miniatures were ever made of it.

Do you know what the medal for science, art and music looks like? I found nothing on google. 

I found Glæsel by a lot of luck and a little bit hard work. :)

I made the assumption that the Wendish crown and Greek order was the most unusual and then searched through state calendars and writing down the possible matches and continued like this until there was only one possible candidate left. 

Without searchable state calendars I would never have found him, at least not so fast. 

Another of my (to many) projects is to make a excel file of all Swedes that received a Dannebrog orden.