News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria medal ribbon

• 2 years later...

Also  there is a Bulgarian site called Balkan Auction, although i will not recommend  it , unless you have friends in Bulgaria. You might have a look at this site

Here is my Set of this decoration including rare Awarding Document and miniature

Picture 352.jpg

Edited by Graf

Still  very nice and in very good condition

Can you post the reverse of the medals

You might be aware that there are two models with 4 and 5 lilies on the back

I will keep on eye on the market if any comes i will let you know

Cheers

Picture 313.jpg

The closest ribbon you can get is from eBay Germany

The green strips are bit darker You can try to wash them to fade the green  a bit or leave them as they are

The item is

Sächsische Herzogtümer - Ordensband - Kriegsdenkmünze 1814/15 / 023

Regards

You can fold them as this 1st Class medal ribbon

Vozshetvie_1_voi_klass_3.jpg

Vozshetvie_1_voi_klass_6.jpg

You can fold them as this 1st Class medal ribbon

ribbon.jpg

The closest ribbon you can get is from eBay Germany

The green strips are bit darker You can try to wash them to fade the green  a bit or leave them as they are

The item is

Sächsische Herzogtümer - Ordensband - Kriegsdenkmünze 1814/15 / 023

ribbon.jpg

Here are reverses of my medals. What is the difference between variants with 4 or 5 lilies? Different producers?

IMG20230201164250.jpg

Thanks for advice. Better dark green German ribbon than no ribbon. I´ll buy them immediately. I have asked Ribbonshop bur no reply yet.

I love Bulgarian ODM. I have small collection. 

Edited by bilylev
    Addition.

Good Good Luck

If you noticed you have samples from both models

The 1st Class is with 5 lilies and the 3rd Class is with 4 lilies on the reverse central medallions

Regards

Edited by Graf

OK. Few questions. 

- all 3 classes can have variants with 5 or 4 lilies ?

- what is the reason ?

- I undestand that there was one producer, austrian co. Rothe. Or some other producer?

- definately there must have been two dies. If one producer, than some restrike? Why, the numbers of awarded medals were small so the produced quantity was not too big. So there was no reason for another producer or restrike. 

Can you clarify?

Thanks

Jan

Hi,

Good question.

There was only one maker Rhote Vienna

You can see all the marks on the firs Class ring

The first awarding was on 28 of October 1887 and the last in 1906

The standard medal had 4 lilies on the back however there are medals from first Class with 5 lilies Why  only the maker can tell us. There were no restrikes. Only there are existing bad quality fakes  I have seen 2nd Class "upgraded with modern soft enamel very Good news all of those fakes are bad quality.

The market value is the same Mainly from collectors point of view it is nice to have both variants of the first class but it is not a must.

1st Class  -699

2nd Class 1019

3rd Class -475

Total -2193 were awarded during this period

ferdcor5.jpg

ferdcor1.jpg

Vozshetvie_1_voi_klass_1.jpg

Picture 313.jpg

I had a very good friend, one big Bulgarian dealer but unfortunately he has passed away some years ago. But when I see how many fakes is now on  the market I have decided to be sattisfied with the collection I have already.

Wise decision

Main problem is that many of the Original items are kept in private collections and demand is still there

I also, have stopped active collecting. Only if something is rare and comes from trustworthy person/dealer/seller I will buy

Cheers

Hi bilylev,

This item just listed on eBay.com (USA)

Bulgaria Medal Ribbon ORDER ROYAL Medal ascent of Prince Ferdinand I 1887

it is Austrian folded type Seller stated it is made in 1990 from original materials

You can ask him if he has more then one

Regards

Look at item 325503912188 ribbon edges.  Easily visable edge looks to be chain-stiched rather than warp & weft.   Maybe that vendor means ribbon made in the 1990's?

German origin ribbon above appears to be warp/weft construction so more appropriate with insignia manufacture compatable/contemporary terms.   

And...both seem to be similar green color shade. 

Make-it-yourself triangle ribbons with gromet & hook fastener is possible but several commercial providers [Austria, Croatia, etc.] can do it for a price.  

I remember seeing ribbons which were closer to the originals, but that was years ago. I doubt we will see better quality ribbons offered again, as they seem to be too much trouble to make and demand is really low. Think about it - how many people in the entire world would want a ribbon for a medal dedicated to coronation of a King from a tiny country which took place over 100 years ago? Perhaps couple people if that many... It's better to make ribbons for more common and popular awards, such as Iron Cross or similar.

18 hours ago, new world said:

I remember seeing ribbons which were closer to the originals, but that was years ago. I doubt we will see better quality ribbons offered again, as they seem to be too much trouble to make and demand is really low. Think about it - how many people in the entire world would want a ribbon for a medal dedicated to coronation of a King from a tiny country which took place over 100 years ago? Perhaps couple people if that many... It's better to make ribbons for more common and popular awards, such as Iron Cross or similar.

I agree those ribbons are left overs from the recent "old" days i suspect made from left overs ribbons, especially the not as popular as the one we are discussing now

Regards

I don't think the problem is the age of the medal. I know many older medals for which new ribbons can easily be purchased. But the point is that this Bulgarian medal was awarded in small quantities, so it doesn't appear much on the market, and therefore the demand for new ribbons is small, and that's why no one makes new ones.