News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old Photos to make you drool!

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

Aewsome stuff Dave.

Ever wonder how those Russian Officers developed string backs ... look at the Gold hanging off their chest :rolleyes:

This may be one of the coolest HSU groups I've seen...

To all:

Concur. A HSU/Double Slava winner grouping is a great score. It epitomizes the in-your-face combat valor that makes collecting Order of Glory Full Cavalier sets (and other unique Slava groupings such as this one) all the more appealing. Very nice.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

Now how about this Cavalier... Oh yeah... he posted the flag on top of the Reichstag!

To all:

This is Full Cavalier of the Order of Glory Kovalyov. His Imya and Otechestvo escape me at the moment although I believe the initials are A. S. I need to confirm.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Concur. A HSU/Double Slava winner grouping is a great score. It epitomizes the in-your-face combat valor that makes collecting Order of Glory Full Cavalier sets (and special Slava groupings such as this one) all the more appealing. Very nice.

Yeah, AND include in the Red Banner to a "common" soldier... Two Glories, a Red Banner and the HSU... WOW... :love:

I can also post some of the documents/photos that came with the Riechstag group later this evening if anyone is interested.

Incidentally, most of these photos are singles from anywhere from 3 to 10 that I have of the complete group... Should anyone like to see more of them, I can post up more photos! (I've got about 800 that I've saved over the past seven years...)

Dave

Anyone for a COMPLETE Glory Cavalier?

To all:

Very nice grouping. It's unfortunate the original documents weren't included, but rather photo copies thereof. This was common in the early days following the collapse of the USSR when the vet/his relatives often unloaded the orders/medals, but retained the Full Cavalier Booklet/Ordenskaya Knizhka to verify the entitlements accorded a Full Cavalier.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

his is Full Cavalier of the Order of Glory Kovalyov. His Imya and Otechestvo escape me at the moment although I believe the initials are A. S. I need to confirm.

Bruce-

Just looked him up, it's A. L. Kovalyov. Here's more of the group...

Enjoy! :love:

Dave

Yeah, AND include in the Red Banner to a "common" soldier... Two Glories, a Red Banner and the HSU... WOW...

Dave

To all:

Absolutely. What's even more unusual is the very rarely seen Slava/Khmelnitskiy 3rd Class winner. I have an original period photo of one such Slava/K3 winner - a battle of Koenigsberg vet - in my collection.

Although the Soviet regulation provided for award of the K3 to enlisted personnel, it's rare to see period photographs of these recipients.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

Looking at his picture am I right to conclude that he received his Cavalier set of the Order of Glory when he was a Jr. Lt.? My understanding is that the order was reserved for enlisted and Jr. Lts.

Doc

Not necessarily. Only Junior Lieutenants of the Air Force were eligible to receive the Order of Glory. Once promoted to Lieutenant, however, they could no longer be recommended for a higher class of the Order of Glory (if they hadn't already earned it as a Junior Lieutenant in the Air Force).

The regulation also stipulated that serving Starshini who became Full Cavaliers would be concurrently promoted to the rank of Junior Lieutenant.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

• 9 months later...

Now how about this Cavalier... Oh yeah... he posted the flag on top of the Reichstag!

I wonder, what THIS one would be worth today. :speechless1: That must be one of the most sought-after Glory-Cavalier groups out there...

The group in post #11 would probably go for 10 times the price of 9800$ now.

I hadn't seen this thread before - truly jaw-dropping stuff, steeped in history and a fantastic investment too! I wonder whether the RK cases snapped up for 1 grand on dealers' sites will measure up over time....?

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

• 1 year later...