News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old Photos to make you drool!

As many of us have been struggling with the dying days of our active Soviet collecting, I thought this thread might be worth a "bump". So we can all quietly weep?

Sic transit gloria . . .

Ed,

C'mon now, don't be so dour. Carpe diem!

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

That's right.

The real PROJECTILE weeping would be to be told how much (little) he paid for them. :unsure:

:speechless1:

:catjava:

Today is Civic Holiday here in Ontario and my wife wanted me to do some gardening. I said I would get to it right after checking out the GMIC posts. Naturally I am checking out EVERY post, even those I wouldn't normally open (anything to put of working on a holiday :rolleyes: ).

I am glad I took the time.

A very nice post indeed. Good thing, for me, the prices have jumped so high otherwise I would be very tempted to collect this area.

Thanks for the original post, Dave and thanks for giving it a "bump" Ed.

Now the boss says I have put off gardening long enough! :mad:

Better get at it.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

As many of us have been struggling with the dying days of our active Soviet collecting, I thought this thread might be worth a "bump". So we can all quietly weep?

Sic transit gloria . . .

Unfortunately, well said Ed. I never was a big Soviet collector, but what little I have has opened a whole new world of history and introduced me to so many nice and really interesting people. :cheers:

As Bob Hope used to say/sing - "Thanks for the memories..." :(

Edited by Wild Card

Guest Rick Research

I'm just glad Dave thought Colonel Vozhachenko's yet-to-be-researched group

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1042...;hl=Vozhachenko

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937...;hl=Vozhachenko

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1938...;hl=Vozhachenko

was "too much" at $600 back in January 2001--and Igor was "desperate" enough to call me to make the sale!!! :catjava::rolleyes::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Vozhachenko's group -- and the previous day when Igor had called, Comrade Grebennik's-- were the high points in what I ever paid for Soviet groups-- AND MY LAST. Hey, that was what credit cards are for, right?

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I got what I did when I did (ISGIGWIDWID). I can still hear my Imperial German guru's incredulous laughter.... :cheers:

In case anyone wants to drool more (by now I've filled at least two swimming pools), check out this site:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.collectrussia.com

It has most of Collect Russia archived, so you can see both all the amazing things of the past (oh, the good old days...) and the steep uphill climb of prices. This was back when an Order of Nakhimov was $2,000, 67 times less expensive than it is today.

In case anyone wants to drool more (by now I've filled at least two swimming pools), check out this site:

It has most of Collect Russia archived, so you can see both all the amazing things of the past (oh, the good old days...) and the steep uphill climb of prices. This was back when an Order of Nakhimov was $2,000, 67 times less expensive than it is today.

Oh you torturess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here you go. I tried desperately to sell this group for $6300. I think I finally realized $6000 for it. Of course, I was happy because I paid $4800 for it and had been advised by a friend that "it's nice, but you may want to hold out for something better..."

Do note that it includes the HSU with Lenin and all three docs WITH a Kutuzov 3rd............................

:rolleyes::speechless:

Oh, and I found my description for it...

This is an INCREDIBLE group to Hero of the Soviet Union Colonel Dmitri Markovich Rumyantsev, Hero of Heroes, Battalion Commander of the 164th Independent Sapper Battalion, 52nd Rifle Division.

This group includes:

Gold Star of the Hero of the Soviet Union 3421

Order of Lenin 17040

Order of the Red Star 100478

Order of Kutuzov 3rd Class 4564

Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class 95871

Order of the Red Star 1925852

Order of the Red Star 3171141

Medal "For Military Merit" unnumbered

Medals:

Defense of Moscow (with document)

Victory Over Germany (with document)

Victory Over Japan (with document)

Capture of Budapest (without document)

Capture of Vienna (with document)

Liberation of Belgrade (without document)

Liberation of Prague (without document)

100 Years of Lenin's Birth (with document)

20, 30, 40 Years of Victory (with documents)

30, 40, 50, 60, 70 Years of Soviet Armed Forces (with documents)

"Veteran of Labor" (with document)

Irreproachable Service 1st Class (with document)

Foreign Awards:

Yugoslavia - Partisan Star 2nd Class 2366 (with document)

Bulgaria - "Patriotic War 1944-45" (with document)

Bulgaria - 40 Years of Victory (with document)

Documents:

Large Document for the Hero of the USSR (with red folder)

Small Document for the Hero of the USSR

1950's Officer ID book (with photo)

Document for the Badge of Honor of the Soviet War Veteran's Committee

Document for the badge "Veteran of the 57th Army"

Document for the Jubilee Badge of the Soviet War Veteran's Committee

Booklet of the "Declaration of Comrade Stalin to the Liberators of Belgrade 1944"

Large, multi-language, colorful certificate from the Kazakh SSR

The title of Hero of the Soviet Union was granted to him in 1944, for single-handedly establishing a bridgehead across the Dnestr River under heavy enemy fire, using captured pontoon boats, ensuring the Division crossing the river, allowing them to take an important town and bridgehead!

His Order of Kutuzov was awarded in 1945 for cutting a path through heavily forested and mined areas for the Division. His battalion cleared 1035 anti-tank and anti-personnel mines, cleared 3 wooded obstacles, built a bridge over one anti-tank ditch, and rebuilt the bridgehead over the Altul River!

His Order of the Red Banner was awarded in 1944 for clearing 1325 anti-personnel and anti-tank mines, laying 522 more mines for an offensive barrier against attacking Germans troops, demined three warehouses, scouted 6 fortified area, 4 bridges, 60 kilometers of road, built 8 bridges ahead of the lead advancing Soviet units, prevented the Germans from blowing up the bridge over the Ingul River, and organized the crossing of the Division over the South Bug River, all the while with his sappers far ahead of the lead Soviet units, under constant heavy enemy fire! (One of the few two-page citations I've ever seen!)

His Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class was awarded in early 1944 for having cleared 9200 (!) anti-tank and anti-personnel mines, dug 7 kilometers of trenches, emplacing 2878 meters of barbed wire, cutting 7 passes through fields of enemy barbed wire, clearing 9 passes through enemy minefields, organizing the transfer of two divisions across the North Donets River, and built 19 bridges, always ahead of the lead Soviet units, under heavy enemy artillery, mortar, and aerial bombardment, and infantry attacks, including the successful repelling of a much larger German attacking force with only a handful of sappers!

His Order of the Red Star was awarded in 1945 for finding water for the Division during their crossing of a large, barren desert in Mongolia, finding passes over a large swamp, building three primary roads over the swamp, and finding secure crossings over several 'tempestuous' rivers.

Finally, his medal "For Military Merit" was awarded for scouting enemy defenses, and blowing up a bridge far behind enemy lines!

His second "Military Merit" medal, and second Red Star were awarded for long service in 1946 and 1951, respectively.

The group is complete, with the exception of one "Military Merit" medal, which was lost by him. Included is the medal he wore in it's place, which came from his daughter when the group was purchased last year.

The group includes full archival research from the Archives of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, which includes all citations for awards, service history, biographies, and English translations.

To find a Hero of the Soviet Union group with the Star, Lenin, all three documents is hard enough to find as it is... To find one with a Kutuzov, multiple campaign and foreign awards, and citations for his other awards that are all for serious combat valor is just AMAZING! A truly AWESOME group!

$6150

To all:

To frame it in another way:

- Price for a Full Cavalier/Knight set in January 1998 - $3,500.00

- Price for a Full Cavalier/Knight set in October 2007 - $21,000.00

- Price for a single Order of Glory 1st Class in June 2000 - $1,570.00

- Price for a single Order of Glory 1st Class in July 2008 - $17,500.00

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

To all:

To frame it in another way:

- Price for a Full Cavalier/Knight set in January 1998 - $3,500.00

- Price for a Full Cavalier/Knight set in October 2007 - $21,000.00

- Price for a single Order of Glory 1st Class in June 2000 - $1,570.00

- Price for a single Order of Glory 1st Class in July 2008 - $17,500.00

Regards,

slava1stclass

Thanks. I guess. :rolleyes:

It does put things in focus, doesn't it. :banger:

i got in just at the end of the good times and a collector friend of mine also said buy as much russain orders as you can cos the price will rocket up! i bought a bit more then i "needed:" and used the funds from selling of some red stars patroic wars etc for other purchases!!still wish the good old times of 15 pound red stars was back with us!! oh well!!

Paddy,

15 pounds for a red star :speechless1: My standard buying price was $9 a piece :rolleyes:

Marc

In 2000, the price for a 6 digital red star is only 50RMB in China, about $6. :rolleyes:

Sometimes you can get a 5 digital red star with the same price.

I paid 45RMB, about $5.3, for my first WWII OGPW 2nd w/n 34XXXX .One dealer sold it as the same as the 1985 issued. :jumping:

I think the trade price was much lower at the border. A dealer told me that she got hundreds of OGPW 1st and 2nd 1985 issued for only $1 a piece. :speechless1:

Edited by Qiu

I hate this thread....too much torture!.... I'll never forget the day I passed on Ushakov medal (serial number ONE) for $700.00 .... (at a time when Ushakbv medals were going for about $320.00 a piece...) ... :banger:

Igor sold a large Kutozov 2nd class group for me this year on consignment...his asking price was 43,000.00, which I thought was a bit high, bet he felt he could "move it well"...and that he did - I think it sold in less than 96 hours... One of you gents had a link/pictures posted on this site.

I will share with you what I originally paid for that group - $3,500.00

I am still holding out and trying to keep my cavalier of glory group (still one of the nicest I have seen), and my HSU group... as well as a few smaller groups..... I just need to keep their "values" information away from the wife! :rolleyes: ... or she will question my judgement.

I hate this thread....too much torture!.... I'll never forget the day I passed on Ushakov medal (serial number ONE) for $700.00 .... (at a time when Ushakbv medals were going for about $320.00 a piece...) ... :banger:

Dan,

I know the gent who now owns it.

Regards,

slava1stclass