News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1813 Iron Cross and St George Cross.

Jim.L

Greetings Gentlemen,

I have in my possession a medal bar from what I have to assume, a Prussian soldier. On it is an 1813 Iron Cross, a St George Cross with the number 39972 across the back. A second St George Cross that on a Russian forum was said to be an authentic cross of German origin from a private maker but I couldn't get anymore information about it. And an 1863 50 year anniversary medallion.

I have a few questions regarding them. Is there a way to verify the name of the soldier? What is the second Cross? And many more depending on this communities ability to kindly help. Thank you in advance for any information.

I'll leave it at that for now and await a response.

IMG_20210128_113624.jpg

55 minutes ago, Jim.L said:

Is there a way to verify the name of the soldier?

If genuine the number will correspond to a soldier in the lists, so yes, that might be possible.

I own a portrait of major Leber who had the same combination untill he received his DA.

Kind regards, Laurentius

58 minutes ago, laurentius said:

"If genuine the number will correspond to a soldier in the lists, so yes, that might be possible."

Please pardon my question, I'm new to the forum and certainly don't wish to breach any rules here. But when you mention "the lists", are these available on the forum? 

IMG_20210128_113724.jpg

IMG_20210128_113747.jpg

IMG_20210128_113913.jpg

IMG_20210128_113933.jpg

Dear fellow military enthusiasts,

One name that I cant verify was Franz Cech. A non commissioned soldier. As I'm sure everyone here is aware, when beginning a journey of this type to find information on 200+ year old medals. It's tremendously difficult to know where to look. I would humbly and with great gratitude, appreciate any direction. I am not looking for answers so much as some direction on where I could find answers myself.

Sincerely,

Jim

Looks like this might be a good, albeit ugly, 1813 EK2, and a good "Badge of Distinction of the Military Order" issued by Russia around 1813/1815.
    If one found a name to the Prussian soldier who was awarded this Russian cross via Russian archives how could one research this Prussian soldier's information?
    This seems to me a possibly significant historical find if both awards can be tied to one soldier.
    Where would one go from here when looking for info for a Prussian soldier from 1815?

It feels at this point that this post is (for lack of a better term) "dead in the water". Is there anyone else that may be able to help with researching the name? Again, I am not looking for anyone to do the work for me. I'm looking for a direction to look. Would my time be better spent in Russian archives or German? Or maybe somewhere else I haven't though to mention?

Thank you,

Jim