News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for the Defense of the Caucasus display

:beer: Thanks guys!!! I have a spot that is protected from sunlight. This was an experiment. I had an extra certificate frame( I awarded medals to Army JROTC Cadets last night) I always have red and yellow felt on hand and I happened to have two Caucasus medals. And here's the results. I like it!!

Doc

Would felt be okay as it is what I'm using for the backing?

Doc

Hi Doc,

Not sure about the felt, but you should be able to easily get acid free matte board. Here's an example of a set I got from Jack Angolia many moons ago. A great number of his Orders, medals, insignia (including cloth), etc. were mounted and displayed in this way. I believe he got it done with UV glass as well so it would not be effected by the sun.

IPB Image

Sorry for the reflection. I've tried a gazillion different ways to photograph this and another piece I have but so far not much luck. But I think it'll give you the basic idea. And trust me, it looks much more impressive in person as did all of his displays. He had them professionally done but I see no reason, given the proper materials that any of us could not do as well.

The only thing I don't like about it is it's not possible to access the awards and document inside unless I cut open the backing paper with the seal of the company that did it originally. To be honest I don't even know what, if any makers these badges might be marked for.

But if you can make it so you can access the material inside at any time it would make a terrific display.

Anyhow hope this helps. :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Thank You :beer: !! I learned of a way to do displays like that one at another forum. He took poster frames and made very nice displays with his medals, badges and documents mounted. However it's not UV protected glass. The display you posted looks like he used UV protected glass.

Doc

Dan,

Thank You :beer: !! I learned of a way to do displays like that one at another forum. He took poster frames and made very nice displays with his medals, badges and documents mounted. However it's not UV protected glass. The display you posted looks like he used UV protected glass.

Doc

Hi Doc,

I think so. He seemed to spare no expense in displaying as well as protecting his collection. It was an amazing collection with enough to easily outfit a good chunk of the German armed forces! :cheeky: I'm so honored to have had the opportunity to see it and Jack and his wife were the perfect hosts. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I was lucky enough to have more than once. :jumping::jumping: Jack & Joy have my eternal gratitude and that of my family. I saw things on those trips that I'll never forget and will likely never see again, at least not outside of books, if then.

And I apologize as I forgot to say that I love :love: your display but unless someone says otherwise I'd be concerned a bit about the felt, at least as far as the document is concerned. Although I've used felt for many of my displays for ages and have seen no ill effects, I wouldn't want to recommend it to others for fear something of theirs might not fare as well. So many factors enter into the equation... climate at your location (humid or dry, temp, etc.), whether sunlight is a big factor, etc. But Jack's method seems to be the best. I just wish I could A) afford it and B) had the wall space to display even a good part of my holdings. I love to share with folks and feel that the more people who see the collection the more questions they ask and the more their interest is peaked... and thus new collectors and collections have been born.

Needless to say you've further inspired me to consider putting at least some of my awards into similar displays and putting them up around the house. Many thanks! :cheers:

And keep up the great work! Looks fantastic... just, especially re: the document you might want to consider that acid free matte board and UV glass. And for those size displays the cost should be relatively low. Least I hope so when I start to shop for materials myself. :lol: Always good to not have to spend the majority of your collecting budget on displays but to have a nice effect from the materials you use.

Perhaps this would be a good subject for another forum... a how to on displaying collections. Seems each type of militaria has it's own individual needs as far as how it can be displayed to it's best advantage. And I've certainly seen some wonderful displays from the members here.

Best of luck with it. Please keep us posted as for one, I would love to see further displays! Great job! :cheers:

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Here's an experiment. I scanned the framed Defense of the Caucasus medal and document. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it. Would someone PLEASE translate recipient and award authority?

I've included a close-up of the seal and signature line.

Many Thanks!!!

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Guest Rick Research

Lukarzhevsky, Aleksei Konstantinovich was issued that by the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Georgian SSR (the signatures are probably stamped?) on 15 September 1945.

You have a secret Georgian "fishing hole" do you? :rolleyes: My stuff has always come out of either Leningrad-now-St. Petersburg-again, or the Ukraine (Kiev/Kharkov) since those get the most in and out travel. You been hanging out with Chuck?????

Rick & Gerd Thank You!!! Rick thanks for the translation. As for my "Georgian sinkhole". It must be luck. The Sevastopol doc came from Paul Schmitt and the Caucasus came from Alexie. The planets must be aligned :P

Again, Many Thanks!!!

:beer: Doc