News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for a Veteran of Labor

Document to Ivan Ivanovich Vasilikha, 1 February 1984. By decision of the Executive Committee of the Zakarpatskii (Transcarpathian) Provincial Soviet of People's Deputies. Document is the 1978 printing.

Cover:

Here is mine!

This one has to be one of the last. I cannot make out the month, but the year is 1990!

Interesting... I got this medal only a couple years after it was awarded! I bet that the awardee is still around! Goes to show how much he/she valued this one!

I was in the Georgian chancellory back in 2003 and I happened to be chatting up the chief administrator of the chancellory. I mentioned that I collect orders and medals and he said "Really? Wait just a minute." He walked over to his safe, opened it and pulled out a small box of unissued Veteran of Labor medals and gave them to me, saying "We never did know what to do with these." I've still got 'em, still in the small box.

No, it's not like getting a box of Labor Glory-1s or anything like that, but it happened to me. The experience was better than owning the medals.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

That's "March" on yours, Paul.

Chuck: yup, per the statutes these were supposed to be presented with suitable pomp (or lack thereof) at the perosn's workplace on their Last Day send off... so most government institutions would have had a ready supply on hand, I suppose.

These are actually usually nicely made. I've got one somewhere that never had the usually nice "silver toned" finish at all, but was made with bright alloy finish-- and IT looks nice too.

Ed: the statutes for these are singularly vague. There is, for instance, absolutely no mention of any required age or number of years to get one. "On retirement" could have been at any age, given circumstances like health or injury in addition to age. The military "Veteran" required a minimum of 25 years, but there is nothing that clear cut for the Labor one.

I was in the Georgian chancellory back in 2003 and I happened to be chatting up the chief administrator of the chancellory. I mentioned that I collect orders and medals and he said "Really? Wait just a minute." He walked over to his safe, opened it and pulled out a small box of unissued Veteran of Labor medals and gave them to me, saying "We never did know what to do with these." I've still got 'em, still in the small box.

No, it's not like getting a box of Labor Glory-1s or anything like that, but it happened to me. The experience was better than owning the medals.

Chuck

You should post them... all together in the box! How many were in there?

Rick!

Thanks for the translation!

What is the latest date seen on a book?

Paul