News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Gentlemen,

I am a "Beamter" with the Police Administration in the State of Nordrhein-Westfalen.

For me that means a lifetime job without the risk of becoming unemployed :D

On the other hand for Beamte it`s forbidden to participate on a strike, even if the Government decide`s that you have to work longer for less money, as happened last year :o:mad:

Unfortunately nowadays there is no Beamten-Uniform or -Dagger (if you?re not a member of the uniformed services) ;)

Greetings

eitze

• 2 years later...

Best to differentiate with "Beamter" in the form interesting for collectors... and EVERYTHING that falls under the term as understood by the rest of Germany.

Nowdays when you say "Beamter" you include Teachers, the taxman, Policemen, People who work for local govt as officials etc. etc.

I dont know if those who qualify has changed over the decades....

Best to differentiate with "Beamter" in the form interesting for collectors... and EVERYTHING that falls under the term as understood by the rest of Germany.

Nowdays when you say "Beamter" you include Teachers, the taxman, Policemen, People who work for local govt as officials etc. etc.

I have learned a lot since my last entry onto this thread. Basically, a Beamter is a broad description of a non military government servant... right?

Chris is absoultely right. It's an interesting term, and one that can cause confusion even today.

A Beamter is as Chris described, but can have the somewhat negative connotation of someone who sits on his arse and get's paid to make your life difficult. I asked this in Austria as well, and was told the same thing.

When I told a good German friend I was a "Beamter" (I'm a government employee) he laughed and said, "Jetzt muss' ich zweimal "Sie" sagen!" That gave me a good laugh.

edit: Wanted to add, that I think the perfect example of a Beamter is the old position of "Bezirkshauptmann" in Austria.

Paul

Edited by Paul H1