News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mounted WW1 EK2 with Hindenburg

Hi there,

I have a mounted 1914 EK2 and Hindenburg cross here for discussion. It is one-piece (I believe) and non-magnetic, made of brass I think. It has a unique paint job with a pebbled finish, exactly like the Bavarian Regimental service medal in the shape of the Iron Cross that I will post in this forum. The ribbon and all threads do not glow under blacklight. I think it is a TR period WW1 EK2 but I'm not sure. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Pat

Hi guys,

Jens, I am 90% sure it is one-piece, as I can see no room between the center and the frame and ist appears to be sealed. It might just be made extremelu well and tight, but I am fairly certain it is a one-piece cross from the 1920's.

Hope that helps,

Pat

• 3 months later...

Finally got some better scans of this Ek2, I think it is brass but it may be zinc, as there is a greyish tone to it as well as the brassy tone in person from what little areas the paint has rubbed off. Enjoy the better scans (this was one of the first items I scanned when I joined, so the first scans are really sub-par) and any more comments are welcome.

Thanks again,

Pat

Hi Tom,

I have tried almost everything but there seems to be no areas to stick a piece of paper in between, it is either perfectly made, or possibly solid silver. When I first got it I assumed it was solid silver because where the paint had worn off the colour underneath matched the frame perfectly, and both looked like silver. After researching I just made the assumption that it was brass because they were the most common type of one-piece. I really don't think it is zinc because there is absolutely no zinc rust and the frame does indeed look and tarnish like silver,as well as the high spots that are worn off appear silverish as well. I wonder what the chances of this being solid silver would be?

Cheers and thanks for the help again,

Pat

My only other thought about this is that maybe the paint job with the pebbled finish sealed off the connecting areas if it is a 3-piece cross. Everything so far points to it being one piece (non-magnetic) of brass (besides the silver frame, a problem if it is supposed to be brass) or possibly solid silver, but if this type of paint finish did seal the cracks between the core and frames then that is the only possible explanation for it being a 3-piece. I thought it was brass but Tom Y is right about the frame, so maybe my original gut feeling is right about it being all silver, but I don't know if any solid silver crosses were made (maybe if it was a replacement being purchased by a wealthy vet in the 20's) at that time. Any help on this mystery is welcomed of course, and I hope we can come to the answer as this is definitely a tough one to pin down!

Cheers,

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Can't say it tasted like much, besides a 90 year old piece of metal! I am really confused on this one and hopefully someone can help us out on this one Tom, as I am not quite sure what this is made of, but my gut feeling says solid silver. Are there any known examples of silver EK2's? I could very well be wrong, as my "taste testing" abilities are far from perfect, so any more help is greatly appreciated on this.

Cheers and thanks again Tom,

Pat