News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Order of Naval Merit awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals

Kriegsmarine Admiral

Hello Spanish experts!

I need help with the Spanish Order of Naval Merit awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals. Please help me confirm the classes and award dates for some Kriegsmarine admirals. For some admirals I don't have the award dates.

I already got some information regarding this topic from Antonio Prieto. He was unable to find if Paul Fanger was awarded the Order of Naval Merit, but I have photographic evidence.

Also, if you are able, please post the source for the information.

P.S.  I will also make two more threads, one for the Spanish Order of Military Merit and the other for the Order of Mehdauia. Keep an eye out for those.

1) Kurt Fricke: 
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class with White Decoration (21 August 1939)

2) Hellmuth Heye:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class with White Decoration (20 August 1939, Approved on 6 May 1940)

3) Leopold Bürkner:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration (28 February 1935)

4) Wilhelm Friedrich (Wilfried) von Loewenfeld:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 1st Class with White Decoration

5) Hasso von Bredow:

6) Edmund Schulz:

7) Gustav Kleikamp:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class with White Decoration

Or possibly the 1st Class?

8 ) Otto Ciliax:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class with White Decoration (21 August 1939)
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class with Gold Decoration (21 August 1939)

I guess one of these is wrong.

9) Paul Fanger:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class with White Decoration (not confirmed)

10) Joachim Lietzmann:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration (23 January 1932)

11) Rolf Carls:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (25 August 1939, Approved on 6 May 1940)

12) Karl Dönitz:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (10 June 1940)

13) Wilhelm Canaris:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration (1927)
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class with White Decoration (16 November 1928)
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (1939)

14) Walter Gladisch:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (24 March 1930)

15) Hubert Schmundt:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (21 August 1939, Approved on 19 January 1940)

16) Hermann von Fischel:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (21 August 1939)

17) Otto Schniewind:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (21 August 1939)

18) Hermann Boehm:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration

19) Erich Raeder:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (16 November 1928 or 17 September 1930 ???)

Why was he awarded it twice?

20) Karl-Jesko von Puttkamer:

21) Walter Georg Lohmann:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit (Class Unknown)

22) Paul Wülfing von Ditten:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (16 November 1928)

23) Paul Wever:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration (23 January 1932, Approved on 28 March 1934)

24) Helmuth Brinkmann:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration (21 September 1934, Approved on 8 November 1934)

25) Erhard Maertens:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration (21 September 1934)

Many thanks for any help!

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

19) Erich (Hans Albert) Raeder:
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (16 November 1928), awarded by HM the King Alfonso XIII for the attentions received while passing through Kiel on the occasion of the trip to Sweden
    - Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (17 September 1930) for special services rendered to the Spanish Navy, with reason for the visit of the Destroyer Squadron to the German Baltic ports

20) Karl-Jesko von Puttkamer:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 1st Class with White Decoration (16 November 1928), awarded by HM the King Alfonso XIII for the attentions received while passing through Kiel on the occasion of the trip to Sweden. See file Kiel.pdf

13) Wilhelm Canaris:
    - Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration (16 November 1928)

, awarded by HM the King Alfonso XIII for the attentions received while passing through Kiel on the occasion of the trip to Sweden. See file Kiel.pdf

Raeder.pdf Kiel.pdf

Edited by Antonio Prieto

Thank you very much Antonio!

Regarding Canaris, do you know when he was awarded the 3rd Class then? The info above comes from his Personalakte. Since the 3rd Class was higher than the 2nd Class, I thought the info from his Personalakte was switched. See below, it says he first got the 3rd Class and then the 2nd Class. Isn't this wrong?

Canaris.jpg

At the moment it is the information that I have found. Something else may appear.

The classes of these crosses are usually by ranks, and it is not necessary to be the lower category

In general

Silver, for the classes and individuals of sailors and troops.

1st class, for officers and assimilates.

2nd, for corvette captains, frigate captains, commanders, lieutenant colonels and assimilates.

3rd, navy captains, colonels and assimilated.

Grand Cross, admiral, general and similar officers.

Königlich Spanischer Orden für Verdienste zur See, Kreuz III. Klasse (II. Klasse?) am 16. Mai 1927

Königlich Spanischer Orden für Verdienste zur See, Kreuz II. Klasse (III. KLasse?) am 16. November 1928

Edited by Deutschritter

25 minutes ago, Deutschritter said:

Königlich Spanischer Orden für Verdienste zur See, Kreuz III. Klasse (II. Klasse?) am 16. Mai 1927

Königlich Spanischer Orden für Verdienste zur See, Kreuz II. Klasse (III. KLasse?) am 16. November 1928

Your source? I suppose these are the dates for Canaris' awards.

I read it here. but I am pretty sure the Personalakte of Canaris got it wrong, seeing the 4th class is the highest. But maybe the German Stellen did this deliberately to avoid mix-ups, because the German counting methods were and are different?

Interesting is the notice in DEL MINISTERIO DE MARINA, Canaris received 2nd class on 16 November 1928. So maybe, just maybe he received not the 3rd class 1927 but the 1st and therefore lowest class? Maybe the people who wrote the Personalakte saw the 2nd class, knew he had the lower class 1927 and classified this lower class the German way as 3rd class instead of correctly 1st class???

Did you know Canaris had the Deutsches Spanien-Kreuz in Gold mit Schwertern (Bundesarchiv)?

Edited by Deutschritter

1 hour ago, Deutschritter said:

I read it here. but I am pretty sure the Personalakte of Canaris got it wrong, seeing the 4th class is the highest. But maybe the German Stellen did this deliberately to avoid mix-ups, because the German counting methods were and are different?

I think you are quite right that they got it wrong. Since we have no proof that he was awarded the 1st Class, I deleted the 3rd Class and kept the 2nd Class with the date 16.11.1928.

1 hour ago, Deutschritter said:

Did you know Canaris had the Deutsches Spanien-Kreuz in Gold mit Schwertern (Bundesarchiv)?

Yes, I knew. There is also photographic evidence as proof.

This surprises me; Bundesarchiv:

Spanisches "Cruz de tercera clase de la Orden del Merito Naval" 16. Mai 1927

... Genehmigung des Reichspräsidenten zur Annahme des Kreuzes III. Klasse des Königlich Spanischen Ordens für Verdienste zur See 28. März 1934

Spanisches "Cruz de segunda clase de la Orden de Merito Naval" 16. Nov. 1928
    ... Genehmigung des Reichspräsidenten zur Annahme des Kreuzes II. Klasse des Königlich Spanischen Ordens für Verdienste zur See 28. März 1934

On 07/01/2022 at 20:18, Deutschritter said:

This surprises me; Bundesarchiv

I know, me too. Both the Personalakte and the Bundesarchiv page state that he was first awarded the 3rd Class in 1927 and then the 2nd Class in 1928. But this simply isn't possible, because, as you said, the 3rd Class is higher than the 2nd Class. We have the proof from the Spanish period document that says he was awarded the 2nd Class in 1928. Until we find the same kind of proof for the 3rd (or more likely 1st) Class, I think the best we can do is guess why there is a mistake present. For now, I would not include the 3rd Class on Canaris' list of awards.

The granting of Grand Cross of the Order of Naval Merit to Canaris. must be prior to October 1937. I do not know the specific date, but at the end of this month it had not been awarded, because they did not have insignia available and that only would get from January 1938. Perhaps it would be imposed in mid-February 1938 on a visit to Burgos

25 minutes ago, Antonio Prieto said:

The granting of Grand Cross of the Order of Naval Merit to Canaris. must be prior to October 1937. I do not know the specific date, but at the end of this month it had not been awarded, because they did not have insignia available and that only would get from January 1938. Perhaps it would be imposed in mid-February 1938 on a visit to Burgos

The Bundesarchiv site linked by Deutschritter gives the date 17.09.1937 for Canaris' Grand Cross of the Order of Naval Merit.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I found this photo of Konteradmiral Walter Georg Lohmann wearing the Spanish Order of Naval Merit.

Which class is it? 3rd or 2nd Class?

I previously assumed he had this award based on his ribbon bar, but I didn't know the exact class.

Antonio Prieto was also not able to find the information in the gazettes.

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I dont know the date for this admiral

It depends on the employment he had when he was granted. The model of the pic is used from 1939

The second class cross, for commander, lieutenant commander, and also lieutenant colonels and assimilated

Third class, for captains, colonels and assimilated.

I suposse thath for this class

1 hour ago, Antonio Prieto said:

I dont know the date for this admiral

It depends on the employment he had when he was granted. The model of the pic is used from 1939

The second class cross, for commander, lieutenant commander, and also lieutenant colonels and assimilated

Third class, for captains, colonels and assimilated.

I suposse thath for this class

Thank you. So you think it's the 3rd class?

It's possible he got this award when he was the Commander of the Naval-School Mürwik (13 October 1939-30 September 1942). He was promoted to the rank of Konteradmiral on 01 January 1940. So he was either awarded this order when he was a Kapitän zur See or Konteradmiral.

And here is a photo of Admiral Hermann von Fischel wearing his Spanish Order of Naval Merit.

Can you confirm it's the Grand Cross?

He should have been awarded this award on 21 August 1939.

P.S. Please answer on my question from yesterday regarding the class of Lohmann's Order. I couldn't quite understand your answer: "I suposse thath for this class". Did you mean to say that you suppose Lohmann is wearing the 3rd Class?

05 Nomura Fischel.jpg

The differences between second and third class crossings are almost impossible to appreciate in black and white photographs. The plaque of 2nd class, is in silver with castles and lions in gold. The plaque of 3rd class is in gold with castles and lions in silver. The Great Cross is the third class with the sash, which is not seen in any of the photographs of the German admirals.

That is why it is necessary to find the concession decrees where the class is specified

16 hours ago, Antonio Prieto said:

The differences between second and third class crossings are almost impossible to appreciate in black and white photographs. The plaque of 2nd class, is in silver with castles and lions in gold. The plaque of 3rd class is in gold with castles and lions in silver. The Great Cross is the third class with the sash, which is not seen in any of the photographs of the German admirals.

That is why it is necessary to find the concession decrees where the class is specified

I understand. Thank you for your help.

• 7 months later...
    On 23/11/2022 at 18:09, Antonio Prieto said:

Hello Antonio,

Here I have a document that mentions the awards of Generaladmiral Wilhelm Marschall.

You can see the Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration is mentioned three times.

The first date listed is "19. 01. 1940". I am sure this is the German approval date.

Then, there are two different dates listed, which I believe are the Spanish award dates: "25. 08. 1939" and "21. 08. 1939". Can you perhaps find out which one of these dates is the correct Spanish award date? At this time Marschall's position was the Commander of Armoured Ships (09 February 1938-20 October 1939).

Also, you can see that his Grand Cross of the Spanish-Moroccan Order of Mehdauia is also listed. However, the date listed here "31. 10. 1937" is incorrect because you sent me a PDF document which says he was awarded this order on 5 November 1938. Is that right?

And finally, on the second photo below you can see what I believe is the Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Military Merit with White Decoration. Can you also read this from the text? The award date is 1 January 1941.

Wilhelm Marschall (5).jpg

Wilhelm Marschall (6).jpg

Then, there are two different dates listed, which I believe are the Spanish award dates: "25. 08. 1939" and "21. 08. 1939". Can you perhaps find out which one of these dates is the correct Spanish award date? At this time Marschall's position was the Commander of Armoured Ships (09 February 1938-20 October 1939).

No more information available. Nothing to report

Also, you can see that his Grand Cross of the Spanish-Moroccan Order of Mehdauia is also listed. However, the date listed here "31. 10. 1937" is incorrect because you sent me a PDF document which says he was awarded this order on 5 November 1938. Is that right?

The correct date of the concession is 5.11.1937, although the date of October 31 corresponds to the acts in the port of Ceuta, where it would be delivered, noting the concession date a few days later

Of our recent book "Honores olvidados. Las condecoraciones del protectorado ...."

On May 29, 1937, the Republican Air Force bombers attacked the rada of the port of Ibiza, reaching the German battleship Deutschland (that breached the regulations of the non -intervention committee of anchoring in a belligerent port) which failed apparently, erroneously with the Canary Cruise, causing a hundred injureds, 31 of them dead. At the beginning of October 1937 the Deutschland was already repaired starting for Spanish waters next to a flotilla of destroyers, being tied between October 31 and November 2, 1937 in the port of Ceuta, where several acts and tributes for the deceased of the ship in May, both for the Falange and by the military and public authorities of the city. Taking advantage of the presence of the ship in Ceuta, at the beginning of that month, Brosch, the German consul in Tetuán, wrote to Tubau, of the diplomatic cabinet of the Alta Comisaria, providing him with a list of the Deutschland staff that should be convenient for the jalifa with la Mehdauia, finally granting twenty insignias on November 5, 1937. The Grand Cross for the Admiral Wilhelm Marschall, head of the German naval forces in Spanish waters at that time; the Commander of number of for Paul Wenneker, captain of the battleship Deutschland, who in 1940 would be appointed naval aggregate in Tokyo; that of the Officer, for ship lieutenant Felix Zymalkowski; the silver medals were for the sergeants Nikolaus Rathmann and Jakob Sehurnn, and 14 sailors received the bronze medal

image.jpeg.3a3e810047a9da49b515dd61856a94c9.jpeg

Edited by Antonio Prieto

8 minutes ago, Antonio Prieto said:

Thank you Antonio.

But if you had to choose, which date is more probable in your opinion for his Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration?

I think "25. 08. 1939" because it is written first.

It's possible two concessions, the Grand Cross the 25.8.1939 Spanischer Orden "Gran Cruz ..." and other lower grade the 21.8.1939 "Spanischer Marinenverdienstkreuz" not Grosskreuz, perhaps 3rd class

Edited by Antonio Prieto

• 2 weeks later...
    On 29/06/2023 at 22:21, Antonio Prieto said:

The correct date of the concession is 5.11.1937, although the date of October 31 corresponds to the acts in the port of Ceuta, where it would be delivered, noting the concession date a few days later

Of our recent book "Honores olvidados. Las condecoraciones del protectorado ...."

On May 29, 1937, the Republican Air Force bombers attacked the rada of the port of Ibiza, reaching the German battleship Deutschland (that breached the regulations of the non -intervention committee of anchoring in a belligerent port) which failed apparently, erroneously with the Canary Cruise, causing a hundred injureds, 31 of them dead. At the beginning of October 1937 the Deutschland was already repaired starting for Spanish waters next to a flotilla of destroyers, being tied between October 31 and November 2, 1937 in the port of Ceuta, where several acts and tributes for the deceased of the ship in May, both for the Falange and by the military and public authorities of the city. Taking advantage of the presence of the ship in Ceuta, at the beginning of that month, Brosch, the German consul in Tetuán, wrote to Tubau, of the diplomatic cabinet of the Alta Comisaria, providing him with a list of the Deutschland staff that should be convenient for the jalifa with la Mehdauia, finally granting twenty insignias on November 5, 1937. The Grand Cross for the Admiral Wilhelm Marschall, head of the German naval forces in Spanish waters at that time; the Commander of number of for Paul Wenneker, captain of the battleship Deutschland, who in 1940 would be appointed naval aggregate in Tokyo; that of the Officer, for ship lieutenant Felix Zymalkowski; the silver medals were for the sergeants Nikolaus Rathmann and Jakob Sehurnn, and 14 sailors received the bronze medal

image.jpeg.3a3e810047a9da49b515dd61856a94c9.jpeg

Very good research and information

On 29/06/2023 at 16:34, Antonio Prieto said:

It's possible two concessions, the Grand Cross the 25.8.1939 Spanischer Orden "Gran Cruz ..." and other lower grade the 21.8.1939 "Spanischer Marinenverdienstkreuz" not Grosskreuz, perhaps 3rd class

Hello Antonio,

again I have the documents of Admiral Otto Ciliax that mention some Spanish awards.

As you can see in the first document below, it says that Ciliax was awarded the Spanish Order of Naval Merit 3rd Class in Gold on 21 August 1939 and also the Spanish Order of Naval Merit with White Decoration (class not specified, but presumably also 3rd class) also on 21 August 1939.

1. Is it possible he was awarded these two awards with different decorations (White and Gold/Yellow) on the same day?

2. Did the 1939 version of the Order of Naval Merit have the Gold/Yellow decoration? Because I only found that it came in White (Blanco) and Red (Rojo)?

3. If there was a Gold/Yellow decoration for the 1939 version, which is the correct name of the decoration: Gold (Oro) or Yellow (Amarillo)?

Thanks

Otto Ciliax (1).jpg

Otto Ciliax (2).jpg