News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish-Moroccan Mehdauia Order awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals

Kriegsmarine Admiral

Sorry gents,

I just couldn't help grinning at the thought of a German Officer (in Nazi service) parading that kind of an Order.

The appropriate translation I think would be simply; Kommandeurskreuz

Maybe this one would be less auspicious for a German officer to wear at the time

The Cruz de Comendador de Número de la Orden de la Mehdauia

Regards

v.Perlet

Cruz de Comendador de Número de la Orden de la Mehdauia.jpg

2 hours ago, v.Perlet said:

The Cruz de Comendador de Número de la Orden de la Mehdauia

Regards

v.Perlet

Cruz de Comendador de Número de la Orden de la Mehdauia.jpg

Very nice picture, but I am not seeing the gold (Fajama), I would therefore say Saada (Comendador)? Here the Comendador de Número/Fajama (Großoffizier/Großkomtur):

Mehdauia-Orden,_Großoffizier_II.jpg

I wonder what class the third one from the right is?

Orden_Spanisch-Marokko.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Antonio, thanks to you we have all learned a lot. One last question: On your great site you write, the imblem is that of a sunset or sundown. Spain, of course, beongs to the occident. Morocco although, being Arabic, would, at least in the German language, be identified as "orient", which we closely associate with sunrise. Also Tétouan, where the Kalif (caliph) resided, faces (towards it's harbour) the east, where the sun rose over the waters. Is sunset certain? Thank you!

This is what the creation order says

The central part of the insignia is made up of an enameled circle, in which the sunset is represented, that is, El Mogreb, reflected in a blue-green sea. Circumscribed to this circle is a strip, also made of enamel and Prussian blue, limited by a golden border. Everything described above is enclosed in a Solomonic ring.
    The ribbon from which the decoration hangs is green, with a white central stripe.
    On the reverse, in a circle of white enamel, the following Arabic inscription reads: Muley el Mehdi Ben Ismail Ben Mohamed, may God glorify him. The plaque for Commanders and Grand Crosses (or their equivalents) is identical, with the only difference that it goes on a silver or gold disk, depending on the category, and with the same ornamentation motifs, but enlarged, without any inscription.

Thanks to v.Perlet for illustrating Ciliax' ribbon bar!   Ciliax' last place second row ribbon bar award appears in sources as Hungarian Order of Merit commander class or Hungarian Order of Merit Commander with star, awarded in 1938{?}.  Given the apparent silver color wings it seems commander is correct.  Italian Crown a commander with possible date March, 1941.    He may also have earned the Spanish Naval Order in one or two divisions, red and/or white, not presented on this bar.