News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Ordre des Palmes Académiques awarded to Austrian…Help needed

Marcus66

Hello all,

I just purchased this medal.  This is the french Academic Order of Palmes, however what makes this so unique is that it was awarded on a Austrian trifold.  This particular medal is a Type II which were awarded from approximately 1850-1955. It is gilded silver with purple enamels, marked with a boar's head and maker marked "A B R" within a diamond-shaped frame on the leafing just to the left of the ball suspension on the obverse, measuring 28.8 mm (w) x 40.8 mm (h) inclusive of its laterally-pierced ball suspension.  

What I am curious about is the Austrian relationship to this particular medal.  Conducting some preliminary online research, the only Austrian that I have been thus far able to identify receiving this award is Karl Ritter von Stremayr.  Due to this being a Type II medal, early issue, this puts the medal prior to 1955 and furthermore judging from the trifold construction, this particular ribbon appears to be prior to 1918 (based on the hook and eye being zinc).  Any further insight into this medal would be greatly appreciated.

Marcus

6343DD6A-07E5-437F-9333-30984E79D9B6.thumb.jpeg.7973b60ce9556df9fb6e0ac468f8c46c.jpeg

3F9801CA-94D0-4697-BDB0-055C8E746045.thumb.jpeg.e3863dab4d0f928bb346883a44a0db75.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi Marcus

The only thing I found to add was when expanding the eligibility in 1866 to include foreigners, it was also widened to include French expatriates.

”In 1866, the scope of the award was widened to include major contributions to French national education and culture made by anyone, including foreigners. It was also made available to any **French expatriates** making major contributions to the expansion of French culture throughout the rest of the world”

The recipients are listed by nationality as you know, perhaps yours was awarded to a French person living in the AH Empire?

I know this won’t help...

unless you have a lot of time to look 🤷‍♂️

Cheers

tony

39 minutes ago, Farkas said:

Hi Marcus

The only thing I found to add was when expanding the eligibility in 1866 to include foreigners, it was also widened to include French expatriates.

”In 1866, the scope of the award was widened to include major contributions to French national education and culture made by anyone, including foreigners. It was also made available to any **French expatriates** making major contributions to the expansion of French culture throughout the rest of the world”

The recipients are listed by nationality as you know, perhaps yours was awarded to a French person living in the AH Empire?

I know this won’t help...

unless you have a lot of time to look 🤷‍♂️

Cheers

tony

Hello Tony!

Does this "The recipients are listed by nationality as you know" mean that there is a list of all recipients of the academic palm?

Where is this list located?

//Johan

Hi Johan,

yes there’s a list of recipients on Wikipedia but its not complete.

it lists them by nationality but i couldn’t find anything from Austria, Hungary or even the right period.

As Christian says the French would have the full list, seems its a big deal to them too.

cheers

tony

And a list of foreign recipients here too.

👍

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Foreign_recipients_of_the_Ordre_des_Palmes_Académiques

Thank you Tony for your reply!

I was hoping there was a complete list published somewhere. I am interested in awards to Swedes but there were none on the link. But I know it was a pretty common award and have some names of recipients on my own lists. 

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    On 11/12/2022 at 21:56, 1812 Overture said:

psc.jpg.31df66aa94563e7ab538a05b4b27a08c.jpg

I have seen the academic medal of Belgium Palm.. Does this person look Belgian, too? PS Why do their eyes look in different directions...

It is very interesting picture of an Austrian Officer It is very difficult  to determine whether he is wearing the Palm of the Belgium Order of the Crown The ribbon is Austrian type mounted. though the white line may suggest Belgium Awards it also could be an Austrian ribbon worn with foreign Award.

Why they look in different directions They pose differently to the photo shot.

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I have been researching the provenance of this particular piece (see my first post in this thread) for quite some time now, and have finally determined what the mark on the ring indicates. This mark is the “Auslansverkehr” (foreign transport) mark which were stamped on all pieces imported into Austria from approx 1872-1922.  This particular mark was used from 1902-1922 and has the “small town” code letter “A” which indicates that it was imported into Vienna in this time frame.  This time frame fits with the manufacture period of this piece and the ribbon.  Again, from research, the only Austrian that I could find in any literature that received this award in this time period would be Karl Ritter von Stremayr (1823-1904).

I still have further research to conduct regarding this piece, and have not been able to precisely conclude that this particular piece was awarded to this individual but am hopeful.  Regardless of the original recipient, the research has been fascinating and quite educational thus far. 

Cheers,

M.

Photo_2.jpeg

Dear Marcus66,

It's only in 1955 that the "Palmes Académiques" became an order.

Prior to 1955 it was called "Palmes Universitaires and/ or Palmes Académiques".

For more:

In the picture, it's the "Belgium Order of the Crown - Silver Palms".

source wikipedia:

Ordre_Couronne.jpg.7d1efbd601aa8e2e46f68b47ac5ac759.jpg

Ribbon bars
    85px-BEL_Kroonorde_Grootkruis_BAR.svg.png
    Grand Cross
    85px-BEL_Kroonorde_Grootofficier_BAR.svg.png
    Grand Officer
    85px-BEL_Kroonorde_Commandeur_BAR.svg.png
    Commander
    85px-BEL_Kroonorde_Officier_BAR.svg.png
    Officer
    85px-BEL_Kroonorde_Ridder_BAR.svg.png