News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, Yesterday I bought this nice barrette at a fair, I imagine it must be for an Austrian official, but I am not able to decipher it.
    These are the tapes I think I've identified.

1            Oesterreich - ¿???

2            Oesterreich - ¿???

3            Oesterreich - Kriegser-innerungs-Medaille

4            Oesterreich - Ehrenzeich.vom roten Kreuz

5            Ungarn – Kriegser-innerungs-Medaille 1914/18

6            Reiuß ältere y jüng. Linie - ¿Zivil-Ehrenkreuz? ¿Dienstauszeichn.?

7            Ethiopie – The Imperial Order of the Star of Ethiopia.

8            Preußen – Roter Adler-Orden

any help or comment (for or against) will be welcome.
    As always, thank you all very much.

img844.jpg

img845.jpg

• 2 months later...

If I'm not mistaken, the purple ribbon on #6 could be as well (or, more likely) a Belgian Order of Leopold.

That being said, the last one, #8, looks a bit blue-ish, which would make it a Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure ("Zuihōshō") instead of mentioned Prussian award!

A most unusual combination for sure!

:P

Edited by saschaw

Wasn't the Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure ribbon white with gold stripes until 2003, and blue with gold stripes only after 2003? The Roter Adler-Orden ribbon would have been white with orange stripes, no? Could it be the ribbon fro the Egyptian Order of the Nile, blue with yellow stripes? Many of the Order of the Nile ribbons I have seen show significant fading of the blue, and under some light/photo conditions the yellow stripes can look quite golden. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

The obverse is discolored. Look at the pictures of the reverse. The reverse looks like a Red Eagle ribbon.

The oddity to me is a Kriegserinnerungsmedaille mit Schwertern, but no decorations on the war ribbon. Maybe it's the second row of a two-row ribbon bar.

8 hours ago, Rusty Greaves said:

Wasn't the Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure ribbon white (...) ?

No, that Japanese ribbon was never white. It was, from the sources I have access to, a very light blue until the 2003 changes. I have seen similar pale ribbons in German groups before. Wouldn't it also be quite unusual for an Austro-Hungarian officer or official to wear a Prussian order in last place, after something from an African state?! Maybe 03fahnen could have another closer look at this specific ribbon... thanks!

6 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

(...) Maybe it's the second row of a two-row ribbon bar.

Great point! A handful of Austro-Hungarian "bravery" ribbons, plus maybe a Prussian Iron Cross and/or an Austrian Order of the Iron Crown would certainly add well to this group! Unfortunately, I have no sources or experience in identifying Austro-Hungarian officers - if this was German, even an attribution might well be possible!

:whistle:

Edited by saschaw