News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unique Jersey Police Cap Badge

I have been searching for this badge for 40 years. It finally surfaced in a plastic carrier bag mixed in with other assorted badges from the estate of the widow of a long retired police sergeant.

it is the silver and enamel cap badge from the first Chief Officer of the States of Jersey Police.  Only worn for a couple of years before the slightly more common Queen’s Crown badge was manufactured.

377901EC-A19E-4E53-AB91-3E1EA34960C3.jpeg

2C7A2786-9F43-4705-82ED-ACABC037D4CA.jpeg

On 02/01/2023 at 08:48, bigjarofwasps said:

How interesting!!

Thanks for sharing.

Just out of interest, when was this photograph taken?

Is it Gv1R or a very short lived Edward V111? 

As jermil has not responded, I will. The photo was taken circa. 1952/53. The badge being worn in the photo is the one which he actually shows in his post. It features the voided arms of Jersey in the centre.

Dave.

On 02/01/2023 at 15:01, I_♥_Police said:

Wow what a lovely badge. Is Jersey one of those places that still has one badge for Pc's and Sergeants and another for Inspector above or is it one for everyone now?

Yes, States of Jersey Police do have separate headdress badges for the two lower ranks and a different pattern enamelled cap badge for Inspectors up to Superintendent. The Chief and Deputy wear a bullion wire wreath.

Dave. 

Ah bah crie, mon vyi...nice find..eh!

such a pity that finds, like these, being official states insignia... have to be returned to the states archives...never mind, you had it for a while.

All you have to do is hand it in at the Greffe.

I jest...

Apologies for late reply, work gets in the way of my hobbies.

Dave has answered the questions, unfortunately the quality of the current issued insignia is not great. 

The only badge issued by the SJP to all ranks is the new style warrant card badge, same as the Blue Enamel Inspectors badge but of solid construction, not voided.

22D19314-5E4B-42DB-BA25-FBFC81DB144A.jpeg

The Police Honorifique badges are a collection in their own right.

I have over 65 variations and am still looking for at least 35 more that I know of.

14 hours ago, jermil said:

Apologies for late reply, work gets in the way of my hobbies.

Dave has answered the questions, unfortunately the quality of the current issued insignia is not great. 

The only badge issued by the SJP to all ranks is the new style warrant card badge, same as the Blue Enamel Inspectors badge but of solid construction, not voided.

22D19314-5E4B-42DB-BA25-FBFC81DB144A.jpeg

The Police Honorifique badges are a collection in their own right.

I have over 65 variations and am still looking for at least 35 more that I know of.

Hope you are well Norman. I think I have quite a few of the 35 Police Honorifique variations you need but you're not getting them! Thanks for the info. in respect of the warrant badge, which I was not aware of. I agree the current badges are of poor quality. At least they've had the Inspectors badge finished in hard fired enamel instead of the cheap plastic epoxy. Best wishes for 2023.

Dave.   

Hi Dave

all the best to you too.

last time I saw your Hon Police badges, you have 9 that I don’t have. Photo of mine from middle of last year, I added two more St Clement badges since pic was takenF284B129-8DC3-4C53-8C6A-25B6C5DE11CC.jpeg.822c552e42313c4245d1902d46acfca4.jpeg

although there are a few of the SJP and Guernsey Police you have that are absent from my collection.   

14 minutes ago, jermil said:

Hi Dave

all the best to you too.

last time I saw your Hon Police badges, you have 9 that I don’t have. Photo of mine from middle of last year, I added two more St Clement badges since pic was takenF284B129-8DC3-4C53-8C6A-25B6C5DE11CC.jpeg.822c552e42313c4245d1902d46acfca4.jpeg

although there are a few of the SJP and Guernsey Police you have that are absent from my collection.   

Norman,

Your overall collection of Channel Islands insignia is outstanding and your Parish Police badges especially. If we each had everything there would be no challenge anymore and it would cease to be the enjoyable pastime that it is. I've not added anything from the Parishes in the last few years. I really must try to get over sometime this year and if I'm able to make it I'll give you a shout.

Dave.