News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

London Metropolitan Police Badges Through The Ages.

11 hours ago, Graf said:

A fantastic threat, probably one of the best on here with the amount of rare badges so thank you very much.

I agree Keep the good work Dave

Thank you Graf for your continued interest and your kind and encouraging comments.

Best wishes, Dave.

• 1 month later...
    1 hour ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Anyone able to identify what this badge is? 

C5202E53-CC6C-4CF6-B696-FC20F2F001DC.jpeg

The photo appears to be taken in, at a guess, Lancashire. Its certainly not taken in London. The bobby in the foreground is wearing a white metal helmet plate which is not star shaped. The Met. did not wear white metal helmet badges. The badge he is wearing on his arm is a first aid qualification badge, which the Met. Police did not wear. The other obvious clue is that there is no duty armlet on either sleeve. A Met. man of that period would not be seen on duty without his armlet.

Dave.  

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

54 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The photo appears to be taken in, at a guess, Lancashire. Its certainly not taken in London. The bobby in the foreground is wearing a white metal helmet plate which is not star shaped. The Met. did not wear white metal helmet badges. The badge he is wearing on his arm is a first aid qualification badge, which the Met. Police did not wear. The other obvious clue is that there is no duty armlet on either sleeve. A Met. man of that period would not be seen on duty without his armlet.

Dave.  

Thanks Dave, I had my doubts about it being the Met as well. Never seen one wearing a badge like that. Now you’ve pointed out the other bits, that I completely overlooked it’s obvious. Watched the film again and managed to get a slightly better shot of the helmet plate.

45E04052-77EB-4BD3-B7AB-416B07F8396E.jpeg

Thanks for identifying the badge as well 👍

12 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Thanks Dave, I had my doubts about it being the Met as well. Never seen one wearing a badge like that. Now you’ve pointed out the other bits, that I completely overlooked it’s obvious. Watched the film again and managed to get a slightly better shot of the helmet plate.

45E04052-77EB-4BD3-B7AB-416B07F8396E.jpeg

Thanks for identifying the badge as well 👍

Gordon,

Your second screen shot made me immediately think of Accrington Borough Police. This is their white metal Victorian helmet plate, which they ironically continued to wear (with a chrome finish) well into the 1930's before changing to a KC star pattern. The bobby is wearing a two digit number on his collar and to the immediate right of that is a small version of the Borough arms.

I find old film footage fascinating but equally infuriating. It often has me stretched out on the carpet in front of the telly trying to see the detail on bobbies badges etc. Clearly the sign of a misspent youth!

Dave.

Accrington QVC HP..JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

14 minutes ago, I_♥_Police said:

The warrant card holder in one of your posts Dave, is that the early version issued to senior ACPO ranks?

I think there is only one Metpol. warrant card holder shown and that is one which is or was issued to ranks of Commander up to Commissioner.

Dave.