News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Dreaded Russian Front Medal

Hello,

Here is my recently acquired Ostmedaille Winterschlacht 1941/42 medal. It has almost all of the original finish and the ribbon is nice as well. This medal was probably handed out to more widows and mothers posthumously than any other medal of WW2, which adds to the eeriness of the hindsight of the medal. Just wondering about the makers of this award, as well as any opinions on its originality, it looks good to me and I got it from a very respectable dealer so I am pretty confident in it. Are there any variations of this medal? or were they all made in the same general time and place?

Thanks,

Pat

I believe the 'earlier' ones were made of a higher quality metal, and tend to hold their finish better; later ones were made of zinc, and tended to have a finish that bubbled up underneath, and often wore down to a dull grey finish. Purists might know of small differences in different maker strikes (I hear the number of berries on the laurel branch can differ). Check the suspension ring on your yours - does it have a makers mark?

There is no marking on the ring as far as I can see, and the ring maintains much of the original finish as well. So I reckon my example would be an earlier example then, as it does keep a good finish.

Pat

I group these unscientifically into two-three major types, represented here.

1. finely silver-highlighted.

2. crummy silver-highlighted, dissipated over time.

3. non-highlighted crummy zinckers.

Here is another, maker-marked "65" for K&Q, of the type identified as:

"the 'earlier' ones were made of a higher quality metal, and tend to hold their finish better."

Hitler introduced this medal for the campaign in Russia. It was designed by SS Unterscharfuhrer Ernst Kraus. The period for qualification for this award was from 15.11.41 to 15.4.42 and by order of the OKW consideration for rendering the award ceased on 4.9.44.

Those entitled to the award were:

* Military personel and civilians, to include female personel who were in the service of the OKW

* Beamte Personel

* Personnel killed or listed as missing in ation

* Foreign volunteers serving in the Wehrmacht provideed that the award was recomended by a Divisional Commander or a more senior officer

* Civilians working in factories in the areas

The criteria for the award were:

* To have been engaged in combat in the theater of operations for 2 weeks

* 60 days to have been spent continuously in the combat theater of operations

* To have been wounded in the combat zone

* for being frostbit (for which a wound badge was also awarded)

For luftwaffe personnel the criteria was 30 days over enemy territory.

***Information provided by "A COLLECTORS GUIDE TO: WW2 GERMAN MEDALS" by Christopher Ailsby

Hope this helps :cheers:

Here's mine, it still maintains a good bit of the silver

obv

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hello,

Here is my recently acquired Ostmedaille Winterschlacht 1941/42 medal. It has almost all of the original finish and the ribbon is nice as well. This medal was probably handed out to more widows and mothers posthumously than any other medal of WW2, which adds to the eeriness of the hindsight of the medal. Just wondering about the makers of this award, as well as any opinions on its originality, it looks good to me and I got it from a very respectable dealer so I am pretty confident in it. Are there any variations of this medal? or were they all made in the same general time and place?

Thanks,

Pat

Hallo Pat, :beer: just a quick note, the last variation has to be the 1957 version issued upon application without swastika, will try to locate a picture and post it :beer:

Kevin in Deva.

Edited by Kev in Deva

You can still see a tiny bit of silver on mine , but it has mostly dissipated (making it the 2nd type with "crummy" silvering, I believe). The dark finish has stayed well though. Nice sets, keep 'em coming! :beer:

Pat

• 1 month later...