News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HELP Real or Fake WW1 Royal Flying Corps

On 21/06/2023 at 00:28, joaobr said:

hello gentlemen

I found this RFC uniform for sale. But I don't know if it's original. can you help me?

Thanks

17503917.jpg

17503917_1.jpg

17503917_2.jpg

17503917_3.jpg

17503917_4.jpg

17503917_5.jpg

It looks downright weird to me. The French maker's label and the French collar badges are hardly something found on a RFC uniform. The rank markings are all wrong and apart from the wings it has nothing going for it at all.     Pete.

This uniform was offered in an brazilian auction that took place in the last few days, there was no bid for it, it will probably appear again in the next auction, in this auctioneer there are always strange pieces together with legitimate pieces, due to the little contact I had with them, it doesn't seem to me that they do it on purpose, they just don't know the experts for it and it's something very common to happen in Brazilian auctions.

3 hours ago, Flávio P.Z.Peixoto said:

This uniform was offered in an brazilian auction that took place in the last few days, there was no bid for it, it will probably appear again in the next auction, in this auctioneer there are always strange pieces together with legitimate pieces, due to the little contact I had with them, it doesn't seem to me that they do it on purpose, they just don't know the experts for it and it's something very common to happen in Brazilian auctions.

Hi Flavio

Use your guts feeling If the price is very low and still in doubts however you like it you can buy it

Not only in Brazil the Auction Houses sell questionable items Either they know or not they try to sell anything on offer That how they make $$$$  I can tell you that I have seen even the most reputable Auction Houses sell questionable item They get away by stating that the items are OK according to their knowledge  The Rule Buyer Be Aware is in place Good to ask the Forum. At least you have better idea for what you will be bidding for

Cheers

On 05/07/2023 at 20:54, SillyOldGrandad said:

It looks downright weird to me. The French maker's label and the French collar badges are hardly something found on a RFC uniform. The rank markings are all wrong and apart from the wings it has nothing going for it at all.     Pete.

As said 👆it is all wrong and surely French.

The collars are French engineers.

The sleeve ranks are wrong for Brits and don’t even match anything else. The pips look like ww2 not ww1 too.

The general service buttons are far to battered to belong on a good condition tunic.

The wings are wrong. & RFC not RAF which tries to date it to ww1, no chance.

On 28/06/2023 at 12:48, nichollg said:

Unsure about the uniform, but the wings appear to be a reproduction.

There were 4 buttons or sometimes 5 but not six used by Brits. The French army however introduced a 6 button (khaki) tunic in 1935.

I love taking a punt, interesting things often hide under later innocent alterations made to recreate a desired appearance but even I see nothing to suggest anything interesting hidden here.

tony