News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need more help for identifying a potential Fliegerabteilung commander's medalbar

Hi guys, 

Recently got this medalbar without the owner's info. With the help of Mr. Moritz and Mr. Daniel Krause, the potential owner of this bar could be Hauptmann/Captain Ernst Nordmann from the IR 112, later spotter and leader of the Fliegerabteilung 234, retiring as a Major. I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to these two gentlemen for helping me find this name and other info.

Sadly, the Zähringer VK on his bar is wrong and there should be the knights cross second class on it. No idea how this happened, please provide any opinions you have.

About Hauptmann/Captain Ernst Nordmann, we were only able to find a few websites containing his name and unit but not personal photos:

http://www.frontflieger.de/2-faa234.html

https://www.buddecke.de/afa234.htm

Luckily, we found 4 pics from Alamy that have his full awards certificates and EK1. But the resolution is poor and the source is unknown, probably from previous Hermann's auction?

https://www.alamy.com/captain-ernst-nordmann-leader-o-20th-century-editorial-use-only-image245917539.html

Moritz also found that he took part in a book „Jungdeutschlands Fliegerbuch“. Here is the all info we have now. Please make comments or provide your opinions if you have any new findings or thoughts on this medalbar. Thanks.

379336358_689194936451115_5786121421267984756_n.thumb.jpg.db4e288bab8d9a34196fe606bb8a8d90.jpg2.thumb.PNG.d0c1d65700bb2b921cd5cad16a0097b1.PNGcaptain-ernst-nordmann-leader-o-20th-century-editorial-use-only-T82E97.thumb.jpg.edeaa1dc3e974d05b341291c3af1fda1.jpg

4 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

I can't really help other than to say that I agree that there should be a OZL on there. Fortunately that's a fairly easy swap. I also would like to see detailed photos of those documents, in particular the one for the Ehrenbecher.

Thanks,for myself I probably will not consider to touch it since you need to tear the whole bar down for replacing a award. Though this one could be little easier,still will damage other threads and cloth. 

I hope I could get the better pics for the awards papers too,but you need to pay for it if you want better quality. My friend told me that these are probably from Hermann. They would sell the right of use of their auctions’ photos to make extra $. That’s also why you cant find their archives of previous auctions.

• 2 weeks later...

i saved these photos from ebay years ago. I believe it says Hptm Nordmann beneath the caricature. The second photo is of FAA 234. The man in the centre with the large medal bar and two flying badges looks similar to the drawing. It 'might' be him. 

Sadly both photos are quite small. 

Hptm Nordmann.jpg

FAA 234 (02) (371378096399).jpg

Nordmann perhaps.JPG

Hi

It was not allowed to wear two flying badges on the uniform, except if not wearing an Prußian/Bavarian  together with an Bulgarian or Türkish flying badge.

Nordmann was the commander of FAA 246 on the Macedonian front before he took over FAA 234. 

Lt dR Franz Kanzler served in FAA 234 between 25.10.1917 until 17.07.1918.

The second photo is probably not from "one" FAA/FA, due its to many flyers on that photo. Could be a mixed of two units ?

Anyway, interesting photos 😀

Gunnar

5 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

i saved these photos from ebay years ago. I believe it says Hptm Nordmann beneath the caricature. The second photo is of FAA 234. The man in the centre with the large medal bar and two flying badges looks similar to the drawing. It 'might' be him. 

Sadly both photos are quite small. 

Hptm Nordmann.jpg

FAA 234 (02) (371378096399).jpg

Nordmann perhaps.JPG

Appreciate your sharing, these two pics indeed contribute more info about him. Do you mind if I share the photo on another forum so others can also look for some information?

1 hour ago, Soderbaum said:

Hi

It was not allowed to wear two flying badges on the uniform, except if not wearing an Prußian/Bavarian  together with an Bulgarian or Türkish flying badge.

Nordmann was the commander of FAA 246 on the Macedonian front before he took over FAA 234. 

Lt dR Franz Kanzler served in FAA 234 between 25.10.1917 until 17.07.1918.

The second photo is probably not from "one" FAA/FA, due its to many flyers on that photo. Could be a mixed of two units ?

Anyway, interesting photos 😀

Gunnar

Thank you for providing more info!