News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Meet Alfred Galle, Hauptmann (captain) in the 2nd Guards Foot Artillery

Dear forumites,

As a pre-Christmas preview, I wanted to show you one of the last purchases of 2023. The group came from an auction house, but I have some pictures on my PC of this group being sold in early 2000 first by an American Imperial dealer (Rittermeister aka "Expensivemeister") and later by a very reputable dealer in Hamburg (Mr W.).

Particularly interesting to me was the student's "Bierzipfel": the coat of arms ((old royalist "Prussian" emblem from before 1815) on this piece and the French names on it look to me to come from the University of Neuchâtel (Switzerland), but I don't have any proof of this. 

I would be grateful to anyone who can provide me with any information about Captain Galle and his service with the 2GFAR before and during the Great War, as this officer seems to have fought at the front during the Great War, earning many gallantry awards and also being wounded at least once.

Thank you for your attention and enjoy the pictures!

Cheers,

C.

Description of the seller:

Auszeichnungsgruppe mit 5-teiliger Ordensschnalle Hauptmann Galle, 2.Garde-Fußart.Regt. Regiment.

Große 5-teilige Ordensspange:

1. Preußen: Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, 1914;
    2. Preußen: Zentenarmedaille 1897;
    3. Sachsen: Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse des Albrecht-Ordens mit Schwertern (mit Herstellerstempel "G"), 2. Modell;
    4. Baden: Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse des Ordens vom Zähringer Löwen mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern;
    5. Baden: Bronzene Regierungsjubiläumsmedaille,1902. An Quernadel.

Aus dem Nachlass (lose Stücke):

• Preußen, Eisernes Kreuz 1.Klasse, 1914. Silber/magnetisch, an Schraube. Gewölbte Ausfürung mit Stempel "800". 
    • Württembergische Militrverdienstmedaille mit dem Bild des Königs Wilhelm II., 1892-1918. Versilbert,am Band. 
    • Preußen, DA für 25 Dienstjahre der Offiziere, 1895-1920. Bronze vergoldet, ohne Band. 
    • Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz, 1918. Eisen geschwärzt, an Nadel. Durchbrochene Ausführung. 
    • Erinnerungsmedaille an Reichskanzler Otto v, Bismarck. Silber, an Trageöse. Rückseitenprägung kopfstehend mit Datum "1.April MDCCCXCV". 
    • Erkennungsmarke. Alu, ohne Schnur, Senkrechte Knickstelle. 
    • Studenten-(Bier)zipfel. Band in Schwarz/Silber/Schwarz, mit vergoldetem Doppelwappen und 2 französischsprachigen Widmungsschiebern.

Translation in English of the seller's description:

Award group with 5-part order buckle Captain Galle, 2nd Guards Foot Artillery Regiment.

Large 5-piece medal clasp:

1. Prussia: Iron Cross 2nd Class, 1914;
    2. Prussia: Zentenarmedaille 1897;
    3. Saxony: Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Order of Albrecht with Swords (with maker's stamp "G"), 2nd model;
    4. Baden: Knight's Cross 2nd class of the Order of the Zähringen Lion with oak leaves and swords;
    5. Baden: Bronze government jubilee medal, 1902, on cross pin.

Other loose awards and pieces:

• Prussia, Iron Cross 1st Class, 1914. Silver/magnetic, on screw. Domed version with stamp "800". 
    • Württemberg, Military Service Medal with the image of King Wilhelm II, 1892-1918, silver-plated, on ribbon. 
    • Prussia, Officers' long service cross for 25 years of service, 1895-1920. Gilt bronze, without ribbon. 
    • Wounded service badge in black, 1918, blackened iron, on pin. Hollow piece.
    • Commemorative medal for Reich Chancellor Otto v, Bismarck. Silver, on suspension loop. The reverse embossed with the date "1 April MDCCCXCV". 
    • Identification mark (aka Dog Tag). Aluminium, without cord, vertical crease. 
    • Student's ribbon. Ribbon in black/silver/black, with gilded double coat of arms and 2 dedication sliders in French.

IMG_8207.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8210.jpg

image.jpeg

88CBA24F-C01A-4D5B-B5E6-F6C0684BDBA5.png

Edited by Claudio

image.thumb.jpeg.f42d8635bc86c688d24c8db147a20665.jpeg

Rangliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee und des XIII. (Königlich Württembergischen) Armeekorps für 1914. Mit den Dienstalterslisten der Generale und der Stabsoffiziere [...]. Nach dem Stande vom 6. Mai 1914.

hptm. Galle 01.12.1912 Q12q

Edited by Claudio

Hello Claudio!

Something about Alfred Galle (FuAR = Foot-Artillerie-Regiment; GFuAR = Garde-Foot-Artillerie-Regiment)):

Patent Second Lieutenant: 18.8.95

Patent Premier-Lieutenant: 21.5.06

Appointed to Hauptmann 20.2.12, Patent: 1.10.12

Patent Major: 20.9.18

1896-1897: Sec.Lt. 4./FuAR14

1898: commanded to "Artillerie und Ingenieur-Schule"

1899-1900: 6./FuAR14

Autumn 1900-1902: Adjutant I./FuAR14

1903: 1./FuAR14

1904: commanded to "Artillerie-Werkstatt in Straßburg im Elsaß)

1905: commanded to service at "Luftschiffer-Bataillon"

1906: 3./FUaR14

1907: GFuAR, but commanded  to service at "1.Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment"

1908-1910: Leader of Bespannungs-Abteilung (draught horse detachment) of GFaR

1911-1914: 6./GFuAR

Ranklist of honour: Major a.D. (retired), died April 15, 1921,