News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, anyone with the book shown here should take a look at Rommels ribbon bar, and compare the "Hindenburg cross' ribbon swords, they dont match.

rgds

Pikestaff

I have the book, and I did notice that the swords are different on some of the pictures, but I believe that it is known that Rommel had several uniforms and a man of his stature could have as many ribbon bars as he wanted made. The author claims that a friend of his actually owns a ribbon bar worn by Rommel. I persoanally believe that only about 11000th of accepted authentic militaria is really real. If this is true who knows about Rommels stuff. I read his book the Rommel Papers and in it he claims to rather wear a plain uniform anyway with no rank or insignia. It is my theory that he was worryed he would be captured and thought maybe he would not be recognized in a plain uniform.- Dan

[attachmentid=38761]

I have the book, and I did notice that the swords are different on some of the pictures, but I believe that it is known that Rommel had several uniforms and a man of his stature could have as many ribbon bars as he wanted made. The author claims that a friend of his actually owns a ribbon bar worn by Rommel. I persoanally believe that only about 11000th of accepted authentic militaria is really real. If this is true who knows about Rommels stuff. I read his book the Rommel Papers and in it he claims to rather wear a plain uniform anyway with no rank or insignia. It is my theory that he was worryed he would be captured and thought maybe he would not be recognized in a plain uniform.- Dan

Well, would he not have enough ribbon bars made in one go to fit all his uniforms??? in any case, I think his widow would have had all those items given to her after he was poisand, I dont think anyone would have dared to loot Rommels body, would they??

Anyway, somehting to type about for a few minuets!!!!

Pikestaff

What's the ribbon with the star underneath the ribbon bar in the photo? I don't ever remember seeing stars on German ribbons.

B

Edited by Biber

Guest Rick Research

No, the Real Rommel in the Real Photo is wearing a Real Italian WW2 ribbon there. The color is distorted on that popular postcard, but I think it's the Valor Medal.

Hello- It was an italian award, they gave him many medals, Pictures I have of him in uniform when He first went to africa do not have the star ribbon below his german ribbon bar, and other pictures I have of him in uniform just before normandy show him not wearing the Star Ribbon. I suspect that he wore the star ribbon just to get more cooperation and supplies from the italians, but as soon as they turned on germany in 1943 he took the italian award off his uniform.-

regards

Hello- It was an italian award, they gave him many medals, Pictures I have of him in uniform when He first went to africa do not have the star ribbon below his german ribbon bar, and other pictures I have of him in uniform just before normandy show him not wearing the Star Ribbon. I suspect that he wore the star ribbon just to get more cooperation and supplies from the italians, but as soon as they turned on germany in 1943 he took the italian award off his uniform.-

regards

Hallo Balck :beer:

after the Italians crossed over to the Allied side, Hitler issued a personal order that the wearing of all Italian orders and decorations was forbiden by memers of the German Armed Forces, Field-Marshal Rommel had no say in the decesion.

Which explains why you seldom see a III Reich bar with any Italian decoration's, but strangely after the Romanians joined the Russian late 44? early 45?, their ribbons were still to be found on German Bars, perhaps Rick :D knows if there was an order given about removing Romanian Crosses, medals, etc..etc..

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Vizeadmiral Lietzmann

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=2...indpost&p=20935

simply sewed a black patch over his Order of the Crown of Italy ribbon after September 1943 and kept on wearing the old bar (compare it with the earlier set below that in the link) that way.

I think Rumania's defection happened too late in the war to have allowed enough time for new mountings to come into widespread use. That would also have applied when Finland was forced into changing sides. It may also have been that German wearers considered Italy's defection voluntary, while side-changings were forced upon the other Axis allies.

And of course after 1957 all the old Axis allied awards were back in wear again.... :rolleyes:

2nd one (Medaglia al Valor Militare, silver, not gold as Marseille)

Hey great pics of Rommel, first where did they come from? A book I am unaware of? Lastly are they real color photos or as I suspect artificially colored? Dan

• 3 months later...

IF there were to be no foreign or enemy awards how do you account for the uniform photo I saw last year in a german ppublication showing a photo taken about 1942 of a major in army uniform [driving a desk] wearing the King Edward 7th Africa general service medal [a specific incident relating to assistance of german troops helping brit troops fighting natives] at the end of his ribbon bar? Yes I jest not, a WW2 photo of ribbon bar with a British award on the end.

Regards

Matt Gibbs

When I unpack from the house move I will post the pic, it was in a German medal publication. This would indeed have been naughty ;) It almost seems that the rarity is to find a long bar which is something like 100% as per regulations or is that maybe just my imagination. LOL

Regards

Matt Gibbs