News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I guess I have been reading this forum and its antecedent for about a year now. Prior to this, I had collected imperial German items for nearly forty years, having gotten only two medals in my collection. I will never be a medal collector on the scale of most of the participants here...far from it. But I do love the history and all that is contained in the stories of owners of these medals of another time. I have learned a lot and am thankful for the vast knowledge of others here.

Today, at a local show, I was fortunate enough to find the medal shown below. A year ago, I probably would not even have asked to see it. A year ago, I would not have asked how much it was. I still don't know anything about prices and don't have much hobby money anyway, but I knew enough from reading here that this was a good one. I'm embarrassed to say how cheap it was. The guy wanted the same price for the copper version with sword and crown and no ribbon. So, even with a flake or two missing, I finally have a very nice medal.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Today, at a local show, I was fortunate enough to find the medal shown below. I'm embarrassed to say how cheap it was. The guy wanted the same price for the copper version with sword and crown and no ribbon. So, even with a flake or two missing, I finally have a very nice medal.

Chip

Hallo Chip :beer:

Go back quick and see if he has another like this for mee, pretty pleeease with sugar on it :love::love::love: Just lurv Bavarian Blooo :jumping:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Thanks all. The medal is marked "950" and "J.L." on the back of the suspension and "900" and "J.L." on the back of one of the swords. Unfortunately, the only reference I own is a 1978 Nimmergut pocket catalog and it is not very clear about how to identify the classes of the MVO.

I also ran across a Prussian lifesaving medal with ribbon and a Bavarian Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung II.Kl. with ribbon, once again, so inexpensive that I could not pass on them, not knowing what they are worth. I can't find out much about the latter. None of the usual websites show or discuss it. Must be something very common, but I had not seen one before. It's the same small size as the lifesaving medal.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Gerd,

Thanks for your comments. Do you know what ribbon it is that is on the Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung? I do not have a referece for ribbons.

Chip

Thanks Ulsterman,

Ouch, well, like I said, it was cheap ($15.00) and I made out pretty well on the MMO and the lifesaving medals. So, you win some and you lose some.

Best regards,

Chip

Chip:

If you are referring to the KCI Expocenter and the KCMCC show, I am sorry I missed you. I bumped into Allan Henderson, Joe Bender and John Conway, but not many others. It seems this years show was light on Imperial and also show visitors. I didn't see much Imperial at all. I did pick up a nice Prussian General Honor Medal with a replaced ribbon. Got a bargain on a pair of USAAF High altitude fleece lined flight pants in really decent shape. My 11 year old picked up a Japanese Officer's visor.

The big event was it was my 5 year old's very first show. He had an absolute blast, and was awed by the reinactors strolling around. He got a couple of die casts, a Corsair and a Sherman Tank.

Like the twins advocate, I am sparking interest in the next generation of collectors. If only I could convince the wife! :blush:

Ulsterman....Maybe it could be....

NSDAP 15 year service medal ribbon????

I have a piece of this ribbon too...and my first thought was that it was the NSDAP...

BUT maybe it is the Police LSGC...after all...

Chip...lovely score! i just love Bavarian Enamels....

Cheers

Paul

Ramblin,

Yes, that's the show. The only one we have here all year. The only thing that keeps me going the rest of the year is being on the collections committee of the National WWI Museum at the Liberty Memorial. The long awaited and hugely expanded museum opens up this coming armistice day. What an event that will be! The new auditorium is already open with a WWI lecture series going on this year, as well as a long running WWI movie night. The new research library, displays designed by the company that did the Holocaust Museum and everything else will guarantee that I will be spending a lot of time there. I hope to give tours when I retire someday.

I would enjoy meeting you. Perhaps next year. I just hope that the rather poor public attendance does not drive away too many out of state dealers. It may force me to go to some other regional shows. A friend tells me that there is a good one in Minneapolis this fall.

Best regards,

Chip