News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who is this SS-Standartenf?hrer ?

Again I need some identification.

A photo that I bought yesterday shows a meeting of people. On the left is a memorial board for fallen heroes of WW 1. The photo was made in Berlin. No date.

Here is the whole photo:

IPB Image

The person I want to know is this man:

IPB Image

He is wearing the cuff-title "RFSS" - Reichsf?hrung-SS which indicates that he was in the upper administration of the SS. He has quite a respectable medal-bar.

Another thing that puzzles me, is the soldier sitting far left.

IPB Image

He has a white (probably white) collar and huge collar-tabs. His shoulder-boards look like 1st WW boards. Could that be a veterans uniform ?

As always, any information is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Robert

I think this is the later SS-Brigadef?hrer Hans Bauszus. He was a member of the DSWA Schutztruppe. The photo must be pre-1935 (no Hindenburg), and he was promoted to Brigadef?hrer in 1937.

Great pic!

Hello webr55,

thank You. That makes sense. When I look with a close-up lense on the board at the left in the photo, I can read at least the word "Askari" in the text.

So this was likely at a meeting of veterans of the DSWA.

Any other input ?

Kind regards

Robert

Guest Rick Research

That is indeed Hans Bauszus. :beer: Born 15 August 1871, he retired as an Oberstleutnant, and apparently was an SS "lounge lizard" hanging around Himmler's headquarters in case colonial issues came up.

His NSDAP number was 843,238. SS number 16,471.

SS Untersturmf?hrer 30.11.31 then jumped to

SS Hauptsturmf?hrer 30.1.33

SS Sturmbannf?hrer 31.7.33 then jumped to

SS Standartenf?hrer 20.9.33

unknown to me when he made Oberf?hrer or if he jumped that too, because final rank

SS Brigadef?hrer 12.9.37

all on Himmler's staff

His awards are

EK1 1914, 1918 Black Wound Badge, and Elephant "Order" pinback;

EK2 1914, Prussian Red Eagle Order 4X with Crown, Prussian Crown Order 4X, Prussian/Reichs XXV Years Service Cross, Southwest Africa Medal 1904-06 with 6 bars, Oldenburg House Order-Knight 1stX (colonial), and Hamburg Hanseatic Cross.

He was still on "active duty" in the November 1944 SS Seniority Listing.

The giant white collared fellow 2nd from left is wearing the formal uniform of Schutztruppen Oastafrika.

• 1 month later...

That is indeed Hans Bauszus. :beer: Born 15 August 1871, he retired as an Oberstleutnant, and apparently was an SS "lounge lizard" hanging around Himmler's headquarters in case colonial issues came up.

His NSDAP number was 843,238. SS number 16,471.

SS Untersturmf?hrer 30.11.31 then jumped to

SS Hauptsturmf?hrer 30.1.33

SS Sturmbannf?hrer 31.7.33 then jumped to

SS Standartenf?hrer 20.9.33

unknown to me when he made Oberf?hrer or if he jumped that too, because final rank

SS Brigadef?hrer 12.9.37

all on Himmler's staff

He was promoted to SS-Oberf?hrer on 20 April 1936.

Max.

• 4 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Another thing that puzzles me, is the soldier sitting far left.

He has a white (probably white) collar and huge collar-tabs. His shoulder-boards look like 1st WW boards. Could that be a veterans uniform ?

As always, any information is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Hello,

You're absolutley right there Robert it is either a re-made veterans uniform or possibly an original pre-1914 uniform. Either way it is based on the grey cloth home uniform worn by the Schutztruppe known as a Tuchuniform. The white collar and piping indicates the wearer served in German East Africa.

Cheers

Chris