News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Glory 3rd class to Pavel Philonovich Velichko

Hello everyone,

i got research in today for this order of Glory 3rd class. This Glory came with an Ordersbook to Pavel Filippovich Velichko. Any help with the translation is much appreciated.

First the Glory itself:

Edited by Gerd Becker

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Oh ho ho. Chris Boonzaier once wondered if he should research his Glory 3rd?

Like this dirty, grungy, beat up Glory 3rd. (Mental telepathy tells me, Navy Dave is saying, "See? see? Haven't I always told you so?")

Pavel Filippovich Velichko

Guards Yefreiter

Born 1900 in the village of N. Sevogozky, N. Sevogsisky Raion, Khersonskaya Oblast

Without Party.

ILLITERATE. ("Uneducated.") {{This is a first for me!!!!!}}

Ukrainian.

In Red Army since 1943

Unit and position in which decorated: 8th Guards Rifles Regiment, 4th Guards Rifles Division, mortar crewman,

Now (ARC filled out 18.11.46) on Kholkhoz 'in the name of Koganovich' N. Sevogozsky village, N. Sevogozsky Raion. {{Address is simply the same, no house on a collective farm, I guess}}

MMM 1,116,257 per 8th Gds Rifles Rgt 3.9.44

OG3 207,058 per 4th Gds Rifles Div 11.12.44

Citation says in the Red Army since 4 Decmber 1943, called up from Sevogozsky RVK-- so he was under German occupation until after the Dnieper crossing. Unwounded.

"In battle for the population point Dunafel'dvar {{Hungary}}, Comrade Velichko without regard for (off page) artillery-mortar fire of the enemy in the course of delivering (off page) to the front line, on returning to the battalion military food position {{kitchens}} (off page}

{{at this point, Gerd is crying "not another soup-delivery-man!!!! :cheeky: }}

encountered 10 enemy soldiers. :unsure:

Without regard for the superiority of the enemy (off page) in combat with them, in which

3 were killed and 7 taken into captivity. :rolleyes::speechless1:

For courage and heroism in battle for the population point Dunafel'dvar, deserves to be awarded the Order 'of Glory 3rd Class.'

Commander of 8th Guards Rifles 'Nikhnednestrovsky' Regiment, Gds Major 'Panchenko'

Regimental Staff Commander Gds Major 'Morozov'

11th December 1944."

:cheers:

Gentlemen, there is no cooking stuff in that citation. Maybe it is small misunderstanding. I'll try to explain.

Velichko was delivering mortar ammunition (mortar shells) from ordnance depot (artillery shells storage place) to the front lines. In citation was Russian word "БОЕПИТАНИЯ", which probably was confusing because in Russian "ПИТАНИЕ" means "FOOD". But "БОЕПИТАНИЕ" is a special word means "FOOD FOR GUNS" or in other words "SHELLS".

So he was a regular crewmember of mortar unit, not a cook :beer:

Gentlemen, there is no cooking stuff in that citation. Maybe it is small misunderstanding. I'll try to explain.

Velichko was delivering mortar ammunition (mortar shells) from ordnance depot (artillery shells storage place) to the front lines. In citation was Russian word "БОЕПИТАНИЯ", which probably was confusing because in Russian "ПИТАНИЕ" means "FOOD". But "БОЕПИТАНИЕ" is a special word means "FOOD FOR GUNS" or in other words "SHELLS".

So he was a regular crewmember of mortar unit, not a cook :beer:

Ahhh, thanks for clarification, Andrew :beer:

Rick was right, i already cried, when he wrote about the food-bit, as i have this group, he ist still teasing me with:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=906

(My very first group and the very first thread on the Soviet Forum :beer: )

best,

Gerd

Some more about Russian Rambos :D

I used to have a picture of private Vataman, who killed 8 German soldiers in a close face-to-face combat using previously captured German bazooka as a club. I'll try to find it in my archive.

Edited by MONDVOR

I found a picture of Vataman who killed 10 enemy soldiers with a panzerfaust (bazooka), using it as a club. Wow, pretty scary :speechless1:

Holy Cow, he beat them to death with the Panzerfaust???

He looks like a big and tought guy, even if he?s smiling on the pic.

Thanks for the picture, Andrew :beer: