News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Undocumented Albanian Awards

• 1 year later...

Just got another one but with indication on reverse of the awarding to a volleyball team in '57

Raises all sorts of questions (not in the least: have to google on this volleyball team:))... official inscription or not? are uninscribed ones unawarded? etc.

Answers presumably will be coming at glacial speed

• 1 month later...

And now for something truly exceptional which gave me a Eureka feeling which I suspect we all have in those rare moments we finds something very extremely elusive.

Edited by Bob

the order of republic first class???

Are you sure?

Seems as medal for laureat of State prize.

Indeed - reminiscent of Soviet (and other) state prize's... but without a number :banger:

No. 179,179/1.

Name: Prize of REPUBLIC ? 1951. 178/1-181

Class I

Obverse: Republic Coat of Arms.

Reverse: ?FITONJ?SI / I ?MIMIT / T? REPUBLIK?S / I SHKALL?S / I-RE?

Metal : 179-Gold, 23.2 gr ( according to Decree.4614)

179/1- : Gilt silver (13gr AG + 0.6 gr Au), ( according to Decree.6347)

Dimension: D.26 mm

Ribbon: Red. Tied around a plaque made of the same material as the medal

Produced: Tirane

Rarity : R5.

Motivation : ?From government to citizens: For distinguished deeds and activities in the areas of science, inventions, literature and arts.?

Created 178- D.1333 dt.27/09/1951, D.4614 dt.12/12/1969.

178/1- Idem 178, D.6347 dt.29/06/1981.

Notes: The Prize of Republic was not awarded by the House of Congress but by Govenrment. See also M180,181.

this is part from the book we are preparing.

I hope this helps

This is better than "order of respublic" ;)

Elvis,another question to you:

You wrote Produced: Tirane,but it seems Soviet made medal.

I never see this quality in albanian made awards... :wacky:

Same thought here. If there's a mint in Tirana, I'd love to visit it (if still existing) next time I visit Albania - which should be this summer.

hello!

one collector friend of mine of albanian medals started this initiative back 3 years ago. so the book is not mine but I have played a role with helping this guy in adding more information and translating the book into english (maybe some of you guys would like to check it before we publish) I will ask my friend . we are waiting for funds to get it published. it costs 6000 euros to produce. it includes also awards from 1914 - 1945. I am sure your expertise is most welcome, besides we refered to your book Eric many times. we see what comes out. we are hoping to release the book and at the same time hold an exhibition (which again costs money) in Tirana. and to make it relevant to the topic that is an extraordinary finding Bob.

hello!

one collector friend of mine of albanian medals started this initiative back 3 years ago. so the book is not mine but I have played a role with helping this guy in adding more information and translating the book into english (maybe some of you guys would like to check it before we publish) I will ask my friend . we are waiting for funds to get it published. it costs 6000 euros to produce. it includes also awards from 1914 - 1945. I am sure your expertise is most welcome, besides we refered to your book Eric many times. we see what comes out. we are hoping to release the book and at the same time hold an exhibition (which again costs money) in Tirana. and to make it relevant to the topic that is an extraordinary finding Bob.

Hi Elvis:

Let me know in whatever way I can help you with this effort (photos, proofreading the English, whatever). I would love to help this project out as much as I can!

Cheers,

Eric

+2 :cheers:

Unfortunately (or: fortunately?) Albanian awards hasn't been much of a hit yet with the rest of the collecting community but the few enthusiasts are sure to want to help!

• 1 month later...