News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ID of EK2 marks

Final mystery piece. Dave will remember selling me a nice EK2 marked WP on the small ring retaining eye. This one has a similar mark (out of focus pic to show its position, its not good enough to ID the mark) but looks to be WS. Again a totally different core and frame. Any ideas ? The clearly WP marked eye is on the cross at left.

Since I have been collecting quite a few 1914 EKII's I have just started to study them closely but am no nearer to understanding them.While a few makers are pretty consistent with their cores and frames,a lot use other manufacturers parts and stamp them with their own mark even large manufacturers like K.A.G and KO....why?...I haven't a clue!

If KO and K.A.G. can have more than one core,I don't see why not SW can't either.

Since I have been collecting quite a few 1914 EKII's I have just started to study them closely but am no nearer to understanding them.While a few makers are pretty consistent with their cores and frames,a lot use other manufacturers parts and stamp them with their own mark even large manufacturers like K.A.G and KO....why?...I haven't a clue!

If KO and K.A.G. can have more than one core,I don't see why not SW can't either.

Good point Dave! I concur. The wartime crosses were manufactured for at least a 5 year period, and as we all know, things change. I think several manufacturers changed their cores over the years for one reason or another. AWS, for one, used different cores over the years. Why, I don't think anybody really knows the exact answer to that one. One can look at a WWII cross and usually at a glance, say it was this manufacturer, or that one. The Imperial Crosses are just a little harder. These variances, however so slight sometimes, is why the Imperial crosses are so unique, and in my honest opinion, are much more fun to collect.

This one looks like a badly struck SW, but again the core is different to a clearly marked S W I have. Did SW have more than one core ?

There were at least 2 cores. One with a 9 pearl band on the crown and a straight backed 9 (early?)....

Gordon

Just to complicate things.. I have found WILM marked crosses with two different cores - the one I know you own (which isn't shown in this thread) and this type below. I don't beleive the one you posted first is a WILM either ... from the core, or the partial maker mark.

Interestingly, the WILM I own has a matching core to the one on the right of your post #6, and yet another variation of the mark on the small eyelet!!

No help I know ... but fun!

Marshall

[attachmentid=44385]

Biro,

I studied my Wilm under a Loupe..and the smaller ring has a clearly marked '2'...and the core is different again...the crown has the tops curving towards the middle at the ame level as the sides of the crown..not like some of theothers which raise up slightly...

Sorry cannot post pics as i do not have a camera that can do this sort of close up...

Now i am gonna study all my EK's under the loupe now... :)

Back! with my discoveries!!

Heres what i found from the EK's i could get at...the others are too tightly sewn to the bars!

One Marked 'MK' has and 'x' on the eyelet

one marked 'Z' has an 'O' on the eyelet..

Found another WILM..same as my other cross with same core details except that its got more paint on it..but no mark on the eyelet..

And found a 'we' marked eyelet on a cross too!

There you go...more ammunition of the databases!

Cheers

Paul

Edited by notned