News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RUSSIAN BADGE?

DINO

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you stick around I think you'll like it here. Tell us a little about what you collect.

Nice badge. I posted a pair of them at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3456 .

You see one of these on the bay from time to time. The last one I saw there was the wreath portion only, with a simply awful aircraft insignia that must have been pried off a cheap znachki and glued to the wreath. Good examples of this badge are desirabe and should bring a decent price. Nice find.

Chuck

I know of one in Canada... asking price is $600 USD, no takers as of yet. Attractive jetton for sure, but strictly a "sweetheart" piece, sorrect?

I seem to remember a nice non-gilted variant that sold on the bay a couple of years ago for $500, or maybe just a little more. $600 seems about right these days, maybe a little more for the gilt version, and a good buy at $500.

It would have made a charming sweetheart gift (or encouragement) but I think they were Imperial thank-yous for major donations in support of the air fleet.

Chuck

Yes Chuck is right Givin away as a gift for a 50 Gold rouble donation.

George

Hello George

There seem to have been at least two variants, one gold plate over the silver wreath and the other plain silver. Do you happen to know a) if there really were two levels of these awards, presumably for different amounts donated to the cause, and b) if there were two, what were their respective criteria? And, do you know if there was an accompanying document? If yes, have you ever seen one? Does anyone have one?

As always, thank you.

Chuck

Found a paragraph in "Jettons of Imperial Russia"

Dated Feb. 3, 1912

Imperial Special Committee for the strenghthening of the Air Force.

A donation of at lease 100 Rubles was required in order to receive this jeton.

100 rubles ($50.00) may not sound like much today, but it would resresent $500.00 in todays value.

The book shows both Silver and Glod versions. Gold without explination.

I would assume a larger donation.?

George

Found a paragraph in "Jettons of Imperial Russia"

Dated Feb. 3, 1912

Imperial Special Committee for the strenghthening of the Air Force.

A donation of at lease 100 Rubles was required in order to receive this jeton.

100 rubles ($50.00) may not sound like much today, but it would resresent $500.00 in todays value.

The book shows both Silver and Glod versions. Gold without explination.

I would assume a larger donation.?

George

Hi George,

As alway you are correct, there is one up for auction on a Russian site http://www.gelos.ru/month/jun2006/index.html

IPB Image

Item 132 Medal of committee on strengthening of the air fleet of Russia. the "glory of Russia, air fleet". Firm "edward". Silver, enamel, gilding. Weight of 8,72 deg. Size of eshchkhРё mm. with the ear. Kleyma:"8ya and female head to the right", "female head to the right" and mastera"VA". State VF. To leave external bid 5500 6000-7000

Estimate in Rub. of between 6000 to 7000 or about $220 to $260US auction ends this afternnon.

Regards

Alex

So there were silver and gold variations! Finally, an authoritative source. I have always been curious. I think that $220-$260 would be a very good price for one in the US. I can't imagine it not selling on the bay at that price.

Thank you George.

Hey Alex -- Welcome to GMIC! Nice to have you here. We're better off now than we were before you showed up. Tell us what you collect and a little bit about yourself. I'm looking forward to learning from you. And PLEASE ... feel free to post some of your things. Curiousity is rampant here. We get together, show our stuff and learn a little bit (or a lot) every day. I think you're gonna like it here.

Chuck

Nice find, George. I have only been offered those two in five years and I bought them both.

Did you ever learn whether there was a document with these? I have never seen nor heard of one, but that means nothing. If there was, I'd like to at least see one.

Chuck