News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian Red Cross awards

• 7 years later...

Let me revive this thread with something special.

I was cleaning out my old emails and found pics of an international red cross award which had been offered for sale to me many, many years ago. I declined at the time and of course regret it now...

It's an International Red Cross Florence Nightingale medal awarded during the 22nd bi-annual awarding cycle to Mrs. Danzangin Therma, Professional nurse. Senior nurse at the Surgical Department of the Central Army Hospital of the Mongolian People's Republic. She was only one of 33 people globally to receive this award during this cycle.

These appear to be very, very rare. I've only ever seen other copies:

- at a militaria fair (it was a medal awarded to an Albanian, and too costly for me)

- in the war museum in Australia

I have to say the design is very nice.

"In its Circular No. 472 of August 23, 1968, the International Committee of the Red Cross had the honour to invite the Central Committees of National Societies to send in the names of nurses and voluntary aids whom they judged qualified to receive the Florence Nightingale Medal. This invitation, which quoted Article 1 of the Regulations, was accompanied by questionnaires bearing various headings for the candidatures.

The first object of this Medal is to honour nurses and voluntary aids who have distinguished themselves exceptionally by their devotion to sick or wounded in the difficult and perilous situations which often prevail in times of war or public disasters. The Regulations also provide that a maximum number of 36 medals shall be awarded every two years and that the candidates' names must reach the International Committee of the Red Cross before March 1 of the year in which the distribution takes place.

In accordance with these Regulations, the International Committee, after a careful study of the 38 files submitted by 25 National Societies, has the pleasure of announcing that for the Twentysecond Distribution the Medal has been awarded to the following nurses and voluntary aids.... etc etc."

"

The medals and diplomas, accompanied in each case by a photogravure reproduction of the portrait of Florence Nightingale, will be sent as quickly as possible to the Central Committees. The International Committee of the Red Cross would like to receive acknowledgments of their receipt in due course.

The Committee would be grateful if the Medals could be presented in the course of this year and requests the Central Committees to give the ceremony a character of solemnity as the founders of this distinction desired. It would be pleased to publish in the International Review of the Red Cross an account-if possible with photographs-of the ceremony organized in this connection. It requests National Societies to send it the necessary material for such publication not later than the end of February 1970.

The International Committee wishes also to call to mind that, in order to be able to assess the merits of candidates, it can only base itself upon reports submitted to it by the National Societies. These reports must therefore be as explicit as possible."

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-679-0-20039100-1396001122.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-679-0-55025300-1396001151.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-679-0-91795800-1396001175.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-679-0-45496800-1396001183.jpg

Thank you Bob for this interesting post. I have posted below scan of the article on another Mongolian recipient of Florence Nightingale award Mrs. Norovdaa. This article was published in 1980 issue of "Mongolia" English magazine. It also mentions about the other recipients of this award from Mongolia.

Edited by Tsend

Let me revive this thread with something special.

I was cleaning out my old emails and found pics of an international red cross award which had been offered for sale to me many, many years ago. I declined at the time and of course regret it now...

It's an International Red Cross Florence Nightingale medal awarded during the 22nd bi-annual awarding cycle to Mrs. Danzangin Therma, Professional nurse. Senior nurse at the Surgical Department of the Central Army Hospital of the Mongolian People's Republic. She was only one of 33 people globally to receive this award during this cycle.

These appear to be very, very rare. I've only ever seen other copies:

- at a militaria fair (it was a medal awarded to an Albanian, and too costly for me)

- in the war museum in Australia

I have to say the design is very nice.

"In its Circular No. 472 of August 23, 1968, the International Committee of the Red Cross had the honour to invite the Central Committees of National Societies to send in the names of nurses and voluntary aids whom they judged qualified to receive the Florence Nightingale Medal. This invitation, which quoted Article 1 of the Regulations, was accompanied by questionnaires bearing various headings for the candidatures.

The first object of this Medal is to honour nurses and voluntary aids who have distinguished themselves exceptionally by their devotion to sick or wounded in the difficult and perilous situations which often prevail in times of war or public disasters. The Regulations also provide that a maximum number of 36 medals shall be awarded every two years and that the candidates' names must reach the International Committee of the Red Cross before March 1 of the year in which the distribution takes place.

In accordance with these Regulations, the International Committee, after a careful study of the 38 files submitted by 25 National Societies, has the pleasure of announcing that for the Twentysecond Distribution the Medal has been awarded to the following nurses and voluntary aids.... etc etc."

"

The medals and diplomas, accompanied in each case by a photogravure reproduction of the portrait of Florence Nightingale, will be sent as quickly as possible to the Central Committees. The International Committee of the Red Cross would like to receive acknowledgments of their receipt in due course.

The Committee would be grateful if the Medals could be presented in the course of this year and requests the Central Committees to give the ceremony a character of solemnity as the founders of this distinction desired. It would be pleased to publish in the International Review of the Red Cross an account-if possible with photographs-of the ceremony organized in this connection. It requests National Societies to send it the necessary material for such publication not later than the end of February 1970.

The International Committee wishes also to call to mind that, in order to be able to assess the merits of candidates, it can only base itself upon reports submitted to it by the National Societies. These reports must therefore be as explicit as possible."

attachicon.gifimage 028.jpgattachicon.gifimage 027.jpgattachicon.gifimage 026.jpgattachicon.gifimage 025.jpg

This medal is beautiful. I have seen only a suspension of this medal on the local market here. Unfortunately, the medal itself was missing. The suspension is still impressive. Looks like it was made of silver and has good enamel work. The inscribed name and date make this medal unique.

Edited by Tsend

• 2 years later...