News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake faberge badge

GeorgeCL

Do you really think that is correctly identified? How did the seller describe it on E?

I saw this the first time I went through the recent posts after my absence. It never occurred to me that "Hey, I've got that badge." I guess because it's blue with upside-down swords and hangs from a ribbon. But other than that ...

Then when George posted the reference page, well, I couldn't believe it. Really, I still can't. I keep telling myself that it must be something other than an Alexeevsky Military School badge.

I do have one of those and here it is. Well, it's a Transition Government version without crowns. Maybe they were just cut off as an expedient, of course. And it's bronze, not gold, but you might expect that from a late-era example. This one isn't pristine, as you can see, but I think it's a real good example. And at least it's not blue. OTOH, I'm willing to learn and be shown if someone can pin this down. Everyone here knows just how wrong I can be.

Note that the screwback is numbered and bears a Petrograd master's mark. Of course, I don't know if this is the original screwback or not, but I still like the badge a lot.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Here's the full link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-Order-FABERGE_...1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller says nothing about the size, so it might be more of a unofficial jeton than a neck badge? To me this looks like something that an attending cadet might have come up, to show where he's studying. "Be true to your school" - sort of thing? After all, the official badge wasn't received until graduation.

But the one thing that really bothers me with this badge, is why on earth would a high quality maker like Faberge put their stamps so crudely on the front of the badge?, instead of the empty reverse where it would be more appropriate? :o

Pete

Edited by Pete A

Here's the full link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-Order-FABERGE_...1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller says nothing about the size, so it might be more of a unofficial jeton than a neck badge? To me this looks like something that an attending cadet might have come up, to show where he's studying. "Be true to your school" - sort of thing? After all, the official badge wasn't received until graduation.

But the one thing that really bothers me with this badge, is why on earth would a high quality maker like Faberge put their stamps so crudely on the front of the badge?, instead of the empty reverse where it would be more appropriate? :o

Pete

The Farberge metal stamps have been available in Russia for several years now. Anyone can obtain these stamps. What is really tricky is that dealers are stamping original silver antiques and increasing the value 10 fold by just adding the Farberge stamp.

I heard he did a vase or two. :P

Like George I'm sorry to say that I have my doubts about it being a Faberge piece here is a Faberge that I have in my collection.IPB Image

IPB Image

As you can see the stamped marks are very clean and clear also the badge in question has the a Silversmith stamp with what looks like F K but it's not in the cyrillic alphabet F K was for Hans Fririch Knauff and I don't think he work for Faberge who used the cyrillic alphabet to mark his work also I cannot see any number itched on the back as each piece was number and recorded.

just my thoughts.

Cheers Gentlemen

Alex :beer:

Like George I'm sorry to say that I have my doubts about it being a Faberge piece here is a Faberge that I have in my collection.IPB Image

IPB Image

As you can see the stamped marks are very clean and clear also the badge in question has the a Silversmith stamp with what looks like F K but it's not in the cyrillic alphabet F K was for Hans Fririch Knauff and I don't think he work for Faberge who used the cyrillic alphabet to mark his work also I cannot see any number itched on the back as each piece was number and recorded.

just my thoughts.

Cheers Gentlemen

Alex :beer:

First - The Farberge stamp is applied to an already exisiting piece to up the value of the piece. Collectors tend to get all bug eyed and salivate when they see something stamped Farberge and it clouds there gut instinct and judgement.

Second - Look at the stamp itself. Inside the indentation and around the letters, it is not clean. Fuzzy and textured. A pebble look with excess balls of metal slag residue which the faker can not clean up when buffed and polished. That means that this badge is a cast badge. Certainly a fake.

Edited by REGAL UNIFORMA COLECTOR