News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order For Service to Homeland 3rd FIRST TYPE

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This oversized, awkwardly named Order for Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR I'll just abbreviate as "OSH" with the class number, 3, is all silver obverse,

three dimensional "mirror image" wings star reverse type, a variant unknown at the time the McDaniel and Schmitt book came out in 1997.

Rare in and of itself, what makes this particular OSH3 special is the amount of documentation-- and as of today :jumping: research on it.

OSH3 serial number 1455 was awarded to Anatoly Aleksandrovich Vozhachenko on 4 March 1975.

Guest Rick Research

Thanks to other awards with documents, including a 1980 Red Star and a 1989-dated North Vietnamese Feat of Arms Order 1st Class, it was already apparent that Retired Colonel Vozhachenko was a foreign "military advisor."

Indeed, research on his Red Star revealed that he was the actual commander of an Afghan infantry division at the time of the Soviet invasion of 1979... making our world what it is today.

WITH this OSH3 in the Colonel's group were these-- an Order of the Day which I took to be Vozhachenko's actual "boilerplate" citation-- since every one of these I have ever seen for an OSH has simply repeated word for word the Order's creation statutes

and a printed (stamped signature) Congratulations form on bestowal of the OSH3 from General of the Army and Commander of Land Forces I. Pavlovsky.

As complete a "set" for one award as can be imagined.

Guest Rick Research

Earlier research had revealed that Colonel Vozhachenko was born in 1936, had entered the Soviet Army in 1956, joined the Communist Party in 1964, and worked his way up to the rank of full Colonel on 16 February 1978.

Today, thanks to my sinister network of "contacts" :ninja: I received the REAL citation, the Nagradnoi List for the OSH3, as submitted by the commander of the 63rd Guards Instructional Motor Rifles Division, Guards Lt.Col. Lobov:

"Lieutenant Colonel A. A. Vozhachenko is expert, disciplined, and exacting with himself and his subordinate officers. He carries himself conscientiously in peformance of his duties. At work he makes careful effort and displays initiative. In military relations, rates 'excellent.' Solid knowledge of Soviet Army regulations, and firm and demanding leadership in everyday life. Actively involved in party-political matters. Skillfully organized and directed military and political training in his regiment."

Which was "Unit 37551" using the German style "feldpost" unit designation used on "public" paperwork for the 270th Guards Instructional Motor Rifles Regiment, whose commander Vozhachenko had been since 31 July 1973.

There follow two paragraphs on the findings of two annual "inspection commissions" in 1973 and 1974 (anyone who has read the defector calling himself "Suvorov" 's "Inside the Soviet Army" will appreciate that!!! :lol::cheers: ) that the regiment was "distinguished" and "excellent"

Guards Lt Col Lobov concluded, in December 1974 "For high scores in military and political training, is worthy of being awarded the Order 'For Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR' 3rd Class."

Commander of the Leningrad "Order of Lenin" Military District, Colonel-General Gribkov, signed off on the award on 4 January 1975:

(63rd Guards Instructional Motor Rifles Division was one of THREE training divisions, in which all sergeants for the Soviet army were trained, graduating two classes of NCOs a year. they were specialized, but at this point I have no idea what the 270th's specialty was. Vozhachenko was in Afghanistan later doing marksmanship training, so perhaps that.)

It then went to the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR for final approval.

That came with Presidium Ukaz on 4 March 1975:

This list of officers to be awarded the OSH3 runs to 1,048 names, including Vozhachenko's. His OSH3 was serial number 1,455. Whether the actual Orders were bestowed, like the mass list, in alphabetical Order, or more randomly, who can tell? He was on the 7th of 43 pages (and before anyone asks, I have the first, his, and last of the section, only) of fellow recipients, 138th on the list. If Order number 1,455 was consecutive by this and any previous lists, 1,317 OSH3s were bestowed alphabetically and chronologically BEFORE his, and another 1,010 numbers followed his from THIS awards list. That would bring THIS list's serial numbers to 2,465--

yet a serial number 2,347 has been observed with the standard flat reverse on the wings star piece, as all (? ***) subsequent OSHs were issued. *** A website which apparently restricts hidden participation to "by invitation only" members shows on its public pages a mirror reverse 1st type serial numbered 2,618.

So, was there something more random in the processing here that affected actual serial numbers?

Or was 4 March 1975 the LAST time "mirror reverse wings star" OSH3s were ever issued, used up before the end of this very mass bestowal?

In any event, thanks to this new research, it seems clear that "mirror reverse" type OSH3s were ONLY awarded in 1975.

• 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

For his Red Star as commander of an Afghan infantry division, and a fuller career biography, see

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937

and for his other awards, including VERY STRANGE "ordinary" awards and a North Vietnamese Feat Of Arms Order 1st Class, see

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1938

Here is page 1 (p 2 is shown above with the 4 January 1975 approval) of his Award Recommendation for the OSH3-- a format unchanged in decades, but at least now neatly typed and not scribbled!

Guest Rick Research

ONLY the Award Record Card showing this OSH3 was in his personnel file-- or at least, only that was cleared for release. It was NOT updated to show his Red Star for Afghanistan, nor was it updated to show his North Vietnamese Order. The "routine" medals may have fallen by the wayside in recent years, but were included on 1940s-50s ARCs.

We may NEVER know whether incompetence or national security is involved in what can and can not be found in the Byzantine jumble of the central military archives! :o:o:o

plenty of unused room!!!

• 2 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

Fast forward, January 2008: the lunatics are running the collecting asylum.

Let us play a game, children:

In TODAY's "market" at "today's" prices--

what is this "worth?"

Leave aside the Afghan Red Star and the North Vietnamese combat Feat of Arms. Let's keep this simple.

Dollars, Euros, or zink-plated Rumelian plotniks:

"value" TODAY.

Just bear in mind that none of my items are for sale, ever. :shame:

This is an Oh, How Times Have CHANGED appraisal exercise.

You see, with asking prices rising literally from week to week, I'm afraid I no longer have any RATIONAL CLUE what my odds and ends are quote-unquote worth any more.

Do ANY of us? :speechless1:

It's hard to put a price on this group, as there's nothing I compare it to.

I'd guess the price is somewhere over $1,000.

William

Collect Russia sold a similar OSH 3 and Red Star not too long ago for $2,700. I think it was only on the site for a matter of hours before someone bought it. This group is probably worth at least $3,000, in my opinion, if not more.

Guest Rick Research

I missed that-- haven't seen an OSH3 offered in YEARS.

The WHOLE group you mean-- with his North Vietnamese "combat" award and all?

I was just asking about the OSH3 part here, since I have never seen one so completely documented and researched--never mind that it is the mirror reverse sub-variant.

But I'll cheerfully :cheers: take educated estimates on just this part or the entire Vozhachenko group, because I am woefully out of touch (obviously) with Current Market Realities.

Silly Dave :P:cheeky: actually passed on this group as "too much" :rolleyes: when it was offered to me in January 2001. Times have CHANGED.

I missed that-- haven't seen an OSH3 offered in YEARS.

The WHOLE group you mean-- with his North Vietnamese "combat" award and all?

I was just asking about the OSH3 part here, since I have never seen one so completely documented and researched--never mind that it is the mirror reverse sub-variant.

But I'll cheerfully :cheers: take educated estimates on just this part or the entire Vozhachenko group, because I am woefully out of touch (obviously) with Current Market Realities.

Silly Dave :P:cheeky: actually passed on this group as "too much" :rolleyes: when it was offered to me in January 2001. Times have CHANGED.

Here's the set. Aparently it was supposed to be from somebody in a ballistic missile unit, but I don't think there was research.

Sorry Rick, I don't have any other images , and I really don't remember the serial #'s and dates. Since this was for sale I've started keeping better track of this type of info for future refrence. I think it was the same variation and similar serial number, and it was definately awarded in the 1970's. Sorry I can't help more. The "fake" OSH 3 group that appeared recently was about $1350 from a more reasonably priced dealer.

Collect Russia sold a similar OSH 3 and Red Star not too long ago for $2,700. I think it was only on the site for a matter of hours before someone bought it. This group is probably worth at least $3,000, in my opinion, if not more.

Ouch - $3,000+ :speechless1:

I give up, I just can't keep up with the pricing in modern market. Anything more or less decent is starting at $2K-$3K.

William

Guest Rick Research

I've never spent more than $800 on a group (and that was a German admiral) in my life. Vozhachenko and Grebennik COMBINED were just over $1,000 that long ago week in January 2001...

the most expensive Soviet groups I ever got--or will ever get, being a mere mortal for whom collecting has always come LAST.

And how have things changed? Igor called me to make those sales.

The Earth has moved. Everything has changed.

Only I am the same. :rolleyes:

I agree with that! Unfortunately for me, I only just started collecting this summer, so all I can hope for is finding good deals every once in a while.

For some REALLY expensive pieces, take a look at the ORB, RBL, BOH, and "Top Order" categories on Collect Russia. It just hurts to look at those prices!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still at sea, but had to reply (takes over 10 minutes to bring up this window!)

Yes, I will admit that I passed on this group back in 2001 because at the time, $750 (what Igor was charging for it) WAS too darn much. I was buying groups similar (documented Homeland 3rds plus Red Stars) in the $150-$250 range (no kidding). In 2003 I sold several Homeland 3/Red Star groups with serial numbers that we know now to be Afghanistan-issue time frame for $300-$400 a pop...and I thought I was making a significant profit on them! :speechless1:

My have times changed!!! :speechless::banger:

Dave

I'm still at sea, but had to reply (takes over 10 minutes to bring up this window!)

Yes, I will admit that I passed on this group back in 2001 because at the time, $750 (what Igor was charging for it) WAS too darn much. I was buying groups similar (documented Homeland 3rds plus Red Stars) in the $150-$250 range (no kidding). In 2003 I sold several Homeland 3/Red Star groups with serial numbers that we know now to be Afghanistan-issue time frame for $300-$400 a pop...and I thought I was making a significant profit on them! :speechless1:

My have times changed!!! :speechless::banger:

Dave

Dear Dave,

welcome back on board of GMIC :cheers::jumping: .

By publishing your outstanding book "No Deed Forgotten", you made the most significant and most scientific contribution to the memory of the heroic deeds of Red Army soldiers in the West :jumping: .

We all missed your expertise here at GMIC very much :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Guest Rick Research

Lucky for me, after Dave passed on it, the price dropped. That's when times were so tough, Igor used to CALL customers like me to make sales. (I think he mentioned something about starving children and furniture being thrown out into the street-- I'm an old softie....) :P:catjava::cheeky:

At the time, none of us realized the OSH3 was the super-duper "variant." What hooked me was the North Vietnamese part of this group.

Guest Rick Research

That and Grebennik's. Igor called me two days in a row and they came in the same box. January 2001 was the highwater mark of my Soviet collecting. Then there was a drying up of supply, I finally found the internet, got back into Imperial German...

and with the realities of the "market" these days, will never get anything like this group again.

Once, mere mortals like us COULD.