News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Why is it that the most rare are the ones to suffer?

Hi all,

Charles actually posted something along these lines in the Soviet section in regards to a Hungarian award he has. It got me to thinking about these two pieces I have. Instead of posting in his post which may have been considered :off topic: I thought it better to put them here. Hope they might be of interest to someone.

[attachmentid=61537]

[attachmentid=61544]

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for underdogs and also I happen to love the uniform/helmet the Kaiser wears on the one coin and have always loved Zeppelins. Until I found these the prices on these two tended to be out of my range. But when I saw these I just knew I had to rescue them. I don't remember what I paid for the Kaiser but don't believe it was very much... perhaps $10 or $15 at the most. The Zepp is marked $60 (got both of these quite a number of years ago) for an undamaged one in similar condition but this one was $25 and I believe I got it knocked down to around $15 or thereabouts.

Just couldn't resist and even with their damage I still love them. :love:

Dan :cheers:

Those are some coins with more than history behind them - those have Character! I love that Kaisers coin! That is not a damaged underdog thats a gem! :jumping:

Well, thank you my friend! :beer: I'm very happy that there's more than one of me out there that feels that way. Like I say, I saw these and simply could not resist. In fact, if I remember correctly, I saw them and put them on hold. Got all the way home... just had to have them, scrounged my $$'s and drove all the way back (an hour each way!) and got them.

I've managed to get a few things like that over time. Another example is flattened coins. My grandmother had one in her collection which I now have. It was a quarter and was put on the tracks as the Presidential Train went through... I believe it was Wilson's as we're related to him. So now anytime I see one in a junk box I grab it as I know what they are.

Also coins that have bullet holes through them. My first was in a large lot of cull coins my father got for me in a trade. It's a buffalo nickel... I believe it's dated in the 30's but I'd have to check. So I always kind of imagined it was in the pocket of a gangster when he "got it" and someone kept it as a souvenir. Looks like it was hit by a .32 or .38... again it's been awhile since I took it out and looked at it. But other than the neat hold and the bending out on the exit side the coin looks normal with all details and such intact.

I also love some error coins. Managed to find a very nice South American (can't remember the country off hand) silver coin similar to our (U.S.) Liberty Seated Quarter with terrific doubling on it. Also a nice V (Liberty) Nickel with part of the date nearly missing due to die problems. A couple of Bust Halves with die cracks but that was fairly common on those. But they're still neat.

Very glad you like these... once you're back over in the states and you come visit our neck of the woods you'll have to remind me and you'll be able to see them in person. :beer:

It's a shame about the Zep, but the 1901 would be as desireable to me as the same coin in BU. There was some very nice jewelry made ferom German commems, and you can usuallyu pick it up cheap.

It's a shame about the Zep, but the 1901 would be as desireable to me as the same coin in BU. There was some very nice jewelry made ferom German commems, and you can usuallyu pick it up cheap.

Hi Tom,

Many thanks! :beer: Guess I'd kinda expected some moans, sobbing, etc. when I showed these... although again I agree that they are still very beautiful pieces. And knowing I didn't have to pay an arm, leg and a couple of eyeballs for them certainly helps that feeling along. :cheeky:

And even the Zep... at least the hole is small and not ragged and is not in the central design. I know there are people who do repairs and some of their work is really quite nice. But I've never taken the leap. But on something like this I don't think it could hurt and if done really well would actually help. It will never be as desireable as a higher grade piece or one in the same grade without the damage. But I have noticed these last few years how even cull coins and those with damage have become much more in demand. I think because of new collectors being priced out of the market for the better pieces. Been there, done that! :P

Anyhow I'm glad I posted them as it's nice to know others appreciate them as much as I do. :jumping:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

It was voided. Here's an intact one.[attachmentid=61656]

Commems were often used in jewelry. Here's an 1`861 Anniversary Thaler as a brooch.[attachmentid=61657]

Silver 20 pf. coins were often used as buttons.

Hi Hauptman,

First of all many thanks for posting your thread on the forum, its always interesting to read new topics.

The first coin is very interesting, and you`ll have to excuse my ignorance, but has it been voided or was this how it was designed? :(

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for having me. :beer: I've actually been wanting to post on the coin forum for quite some time as I've had these as well as some other pieces that I thought might be of interest. Just a case of squeezing out the time these days. Hopefully I'll be able to pop on a few more before too long... perhaps over the weekend as it is a long one this time round. :jumping:

I know about voiding on currency but didn't know they did the same with coins. Seems Tom knows so he's my next reply.

This is a great forum and being a long time numismatist I'm hoping I'll be able to contribute a bit more of interest. Will do my best. :D And of course I hope to learn even more which is always the best part. :P

It was voided. Here's an intact one.[attachmentid=61656]

Commems were often used in jewelry. Here's an 1`861 Anniversary Thaler as a brooch.[attachmentid=61657]

Silver 20 pf. coins were often used as buttons.

Hi Tom,

First off, great pieces! :love::jumping::beer: Secondly, as I stated in my reply to Gordon I'm more familiar with voids on currency than on coins. Could you elaborate a bit? I'd assumed that it was done as a cutout for jewelry. But seems there's a deeper meaning here and I'm dying to learn more about it.

I've been active in numismatics since I was about seven years old and I just turned 44 this past August. But as evidenced here I still have much to learn. :P

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

I'm not into numismatics buty I'd like to learn more too! Many many years ago - 19 actually - on my one and only trip to Forida from the Frozen North, I came across a guy selling jewellery made from "cut up" coins.

I particularly a gold or gold coloured coin whose central image, obverse I assume, was an Austrian eagle. He'd cut out the eagle and made pendant out of it. Very classy and I've always kicked myself that I didn't buy it, though it wasn't cheap.

He had several dozen types of coin from various places he was using, I assume all fairly common or he'd have lost money but a neat idea, I thought. (Sorry, sorry! I did say I wasn't a numismatist!)

Peter

I'm not into numismatics buty I'd like to learn more too! Many many years ago - 19 actually - on my one and only trip to Forida from the Frozen North, I came across a guy selling jewellery made from "cut up" coins.

I particularly a gold or gold coloured coin whose central image, obverse I assume, was an Austrian eagle. He'd cut out the eagle and made pendant out of it. Very classy and I've always kicked myself that I didn't buy it, though it wasn't cheap.

He had several dozen types of coin from various places he was using, I assume all fairly common or he'd have lost money but a neat idea, I thought. (Sorry, sorry! I did say I wasn't a numismatist!)

Peter

Hi Peter,

Hey, as far as not being a numismatist... it's never too late to start! :P:jumping::jumping: Ve ist alvays tryink to recruit new members! :cheeky:

Seriously, it's a wonderful hobby and as I say I've been enjoying it since I was about 6 or 7 years old. I believe that's when my folks gave me a Whitman coin collecting kit for Christmas... or my birthday... been so long I simply can't remember which. I still have the stuff. Basically it was a few Whitman albums which are cardstock with holes cut out for each coin... say Lincoln Cents for a particular set of years and mint marks and marked for same. The outside is generally covered in a blue paper which is marked with what the set is, etc. Then there were some coin tubes... plastic tubes for different denominations of coins. Coin tweezers to pick them up by the edge... a basic guide to coin collecting... stuff like that, along with a few coins to get you started... wheat back Lincoln cents and the like. But it was like rocket fuel to me. Over the years I've managed to accumulate at least a couple thousand pieces of currency (mostly foreign) and several thousand coins (again mostly foreign). Most are fairly common pieces which are examples of various types and denominations from all over and various periods of time. Many were purchased from dealer boxes which were always full of foreign coins... or from so called junk boxes from which I've managed to aquire a few treasures here and there. Plus buying outright from their main stocks. And on the currency the bulk of it has probably been from what are called job lots... large groupings which go for cheap so you can resell to make a bit on each item individually.

I've collected by year/mint mark for several different series. I've also collected by type and have a set I'm rather proud of which takes U.S. coins from half cents all the way up to dollar coins and then some gold although those consist of some U.S. and some foreign pieces. I've not yet been able to do a U.S. gold type collection but would love to at some point... if gold prices ever come down again.

Coins and currency... and even stamps, are minature works of art in many cases. They teach history, geography, politics... I could go on and on. It's a fascinating hobby, at least as much so as militaria. There's tons of references available, most well within the reach of anyone, even those on a limited budget.

Hope I can tempt you to give it a try. Doesn't take much, nor does it take a big investment. Alot of folks these days collect those commemorative state quarters. And hey, being in Canada you have a rich numismatic heretage... especially in circulating commems. Seems like every time they turn around up there they're putting out a new commemorative so there's tons to choose from. One Canadian series I like it their nickles which do indeed have some very nice circulating commemoratives in the bunch. There's one which has the V for victory on it and around the edge the dit dit dit dah more code used with that during the war. It's a terrific piece and one that I believe you can still get for very little money in the higher grades.

As for the cutouts... I'm kind of torn. They can be beautifully done. The ones I've seen the most have been bufallo nickles. They tend to do this with worn, common date examples. But I hate to see it done unless the original piece had already been holed in the past or something. On the one hand if enough of them are cut out then even some common pieces will begin to get harder to come by, especially for collectors on limited budgets. Pieces that are already damaged... well, not much you can hurt on them at that point. But the problem is that jewelers and such always need a steady supply so just keep cutting up more and more. It's a double edged sword. But chances are you'll probably still be able to find that Austrian eagle piece you liked. Try searching on Ebay and you may just luck out... or perhaps even on a search engine as there may be a jeweler selling just such an item.

Anyhow hope I've said something to tempt you to perhaps look a bit deeper into all this and maybe consider starting a collection. Believe me, you can do it for very little money so it wouldn't have to pull much away from your other interests. But you can easily put together a nice collection to be proud of with just a little effort. There's tons of reference and sales material available online and also in just about every bookstore I've ever been in. Look around a bit and see what types of items appeal to you and before you know it I bet you'll be on your way. :beer:

Hallo Gents, :beer:

just a small piece to add to this very interesting thread, a couple of years back my twin brother Kieron :cheers: who lives in Norwood near London sent me a box with some WWII medals as a birthday present, included in the box was three small items I took to be mini medals at first glance (please see picture).

The work on the 1911 farthing took a little time and patience to do, after fretting, with a needle file.

As a sidenote anybody got any information on the one and only mini medal in set??

The third item is aAlpacca "Aries" zodiac sign.

Kevin in Deva.

Hallo Gents, :beer:

just a small piece to add to this very interesting thread, a couple of years back my twin brother Kieron :cheers: who lives in Norwood near London sent me a box with some WWII medals as a birthday present, :cheers: included in the box was three small items I took to be mini medals at first glance (please see picture).

The work on the 1911 farthing took a little time and patience to do, after fretting, with a needle file.

As a sidenote anybody got any information on the one and only mini medal in set??

The third item is a Alpacca "Aries" zodiac sign.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

What do you think about these Belgian cut-out coins which were used as a patriotic badge?

The first one was a 10 cents coin from the reign of Leopold II, the second one was a 1 frank ( franc) coin used in the beginning of the First War.

Jef

[attachmentid=61819]

[attachmentid=61820]

What do you think about these Belgian cut-out coins which were used as a patriotic badge?

The first one was a 10 cents coin from the reign of Leopold II, the second one was a 1 frank ( franc) coin used in the beginning of the First War.

Jef

[attachmentid=61819]

[attachmentid=61820]

Hi Jef,

Wow... those are great! :jumping::jumping: That one certainly looks like it took a lot of intricate workmanship to produce... cutting around the full inscription as well as the central design. Beautiful!

I'm so glad more are coming out of the woodwork. I think most numismatists would turn their noses up at such things but I really think they're great.

Thanks so much for sharing them. :beer:

Hi Jef,

Wow... those are great! :jumping::jumping: That one certainly looks like it took a lot of intricate workmanship to produce... cutting around the full inscription as well as the central design. Beautiful!

I'm so glad more are coming out of the woodwork. I think most numismatists would turn their noses up at such things but I really think they're great.

Thanks so much for sharing them. :beer:

Hello dan,

Glad you like the coins. I think I owe you the reverse of the coin.

These things were made by Belgian people during WWI, as an act of resistance against the German's. But I don't know if it was worn by the makers. Maybe after the war?

Lot's of new born children got the name of the Belgian king or queen: Albert for a boy, Elisabeth for a girl.

So you see , people were inventive ... another way of passive resistance.

With kind regards,

Jef

[attachmentid=61982]

[attachmentid=61987]

Some amazing pieces here. Love the Belgian cut out, Jef!

At the risk of being off topic , I would like to add this coin that I got with a wonderful grouping to be shared with you all one day.

Although not a cut out like the others in this thread, the head of Napoleon now has a rather fine lid and uniform engraved into the coin surface...which appears to be patinated to a darker colour. To the reverse is a post attachment for a button hole mount. Looks to be welded on somehow. My understanding of world events at this time (1855) are saddly neglecting and I hope someone can shed a little light on this coin as well.

[attachmentid=62205]