News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Palestine family bring back item

Jason

Hi guys, last weekend my dear old mother was clearing out her old house and came across a family bring back from Palestine in WW1...family legend has it that it was taken off the top of an Arab's lance by my Grandfather, and was subsequently used to gut fish after the war...!

I've had a good close look at it, and cant decide whether its Arab or Turkish, a lance top or a dagger of some kind. There are no arsenal markings on it, only some engravings along the blade, its about a foot long or maybe just a little longer....quite a brutal weapon, once it went in it would have taken some tugging to get it back out!!

If anyone out there can come up with something for me, I'd be grateful.

cheers

Jason

Edited by Jason

Hi,

Military lances are made that they come out as easy as they go in. a Rider would have been pulled from his horse if he poked someone and his lance stuck.

I think its like the bayonet thing... you dont want to be caught defenceless with your bayonet stuck somewhere.

I would assume it was for hunting?

What a rather nasty looking implement! While I would not like to imagine the damage such a piece like this would cause, I dont think that it is really practical to hunt with either(unless it had a tether attached, like a whaling harpoon). It does look a bit crude to be ceremonial... Your guess is as good as mine!

Guest Rick Research

A fish spear comes to mind. The barbs on those are so the large fish could not get away and could be heaved into the boat.

I agree with Rick. This looks like a locally made fishing spear. The socket is like one I have on a spear that was made in Africa by a local blacksmith. It would not be something normally seen on a battlefield.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

I have managed to collect indigenous weapons and visit many of the battle sites in Kordofan and in Khartoum in the Sudan.I am by no means an expert but have gradually built up a working knowledge of the vast and diverse types of weaponry that was used by the Sudanese local forces against their enemies.Various spears were used for both throwing and stabbing.Spear types also varied from large,broad leave pattern types to barbed spears like the one you have and have shown in your photographs.Mention has been made regarding the horrific wounds experienced in the battles here in the Sudan due to the type of weapons used and the hand to hand fighting that took place.I disagree with Brian that items like these were not found on battlefields.Due to the various tribes and influences of countries surrounding the region,many and varied weapons with multi-national influences that include Indian weapons, have been found and captured here in the Sudan.The photographs that I have attached illustrate a barbed spear that I acquired in Kadugli in Southern Kordofan.It was used by indigenous family members who had fought against the British at Omdurman in 1898.

As Sabrigade notes, one can find similar items throughout northern Sudan and even in Juba. The several "antique arms dealers" in and around Khartoum (Omdurman souk, especially) seem to have a good supply. Edited by 922F

• 6 months later...